Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.12.2 Eye Tracking Shut Me Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the email I sent to Tesla EarlyAccess Program:
----------------
I installed 10.12.2 (2022.12.3.20) last night and went for my first drive today. Still NSFW (wife) but that’s another story.

What is totally infuriating is that the internal camera kept zinging me for not watching the road when I WAS! It finally disabled FSD for the remainder of the drive, and when I got home I got a notice that 4 more events like this will result in FSD being revoked. It obviously is having trouble determining where my eyes are pointing and to remove FSD because of this software failure is enough to make my blood boil. I certainly hope you guys jump on this and fix it before my FSD is revoked.

To be complete in what happened, I did test the eye tracking by looking down, then left 45 degrees, then right 45 degrees as I was curious as to what limits were in place. I got maybe 3 warnings during my testing like this. But then I started getting warnings (3 or more) when I was just driving (with FSD enabled) down the road looking straight ahead. And finally it alerted me that FSD was shutting down (while looking straight ahead, again).

Don’t alienate a loyal Tesla customer. Model 3, Model X and Model S-Plaid owner.

VIN: 5YJSA1E69MFxxxxxx
----------------

I don't know what I'll do if they kick me out. I won't be sitting still that much I do know.

----------------
I installed 10.12.2 (2022.12.3.20) last night and went for my first drive today. Still NSFW (wife) but that’s another story.

What is totally infuriating is that the internal camera kept zinging me for not watching the road when I WAS! It finally disabled FSD for the remainder of the drive, and when I got home I got a notice that 4 more events like this will result in FSD being revoked. It obviously is having trouble determining where my eyes are pointing and to remove FSD because of this software failure is enough to make my blood boil. I certainly hope you guys jump on this and fix it before my FSD is revoked.

To be complete in what happened, I did test the eye tracking by looking down, then left 45 degrees, then right 45 degrees as I was curious as to what limits were in place. I got maybe 3 warnings during my testing like this. But then I started getting warnings (3 or more) when I was just driving (with FSD enabled) down the road looking straight ahead. And finally it alerted me that FSD was shutting down (while looking straight ahead, again).

Don’t alienate a loyal Tesla customer. Model 3, Model X and Model S-Plaid owner.

----------------

I don't know what I'll do if they kick me out. I won't be sitting still that much I do know.
That really stinks. In which of your cars did this happen?

Is it possible (just a guess!) that in your “testing” you maxed out the warnings at 6 and your last read was the systems final out warning? I have personally never had a warning like this unless of coarse I in any way touch the phone which it jumps on as it should quickly.

Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
Is it possible (just a guess!) that in your “testing” you maxed out the warnings at 6 and your last read was the systems final out warning? I have personally never had a warning like this unless of coarse I in any way touch the phone which it jumps on as it should quickly.
I had at least 3 warnings when looking at the road ahead. The 3rd warning being the one that triggered the disconnect. Never touched my phone during the drive.

I’ve got a 550-mile trip to Florida coming up soon and I bet I don’t make it to the 1st supercharger. We’ll see.

Reactions: Ramphex
The last time I used Navigation on Autopilot driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles on I-5 on my model S, I found the eye tracking very sensitive, If you blank stare even straight on the road for maybe 5 seconds , the system will give you an attention warning. So make sure your head do not rest comfortably on the head rest not moving and not blink your eyes once a while! Don't look at your big screen for too long to decide what to do next. Have fun just wriggle around a bit!

I think you can turn off the FSD Beta and just use FSD while on the Freeway.
😂

Last edited:
I had at least 3 warnings when looking at the road ahead. The 3rd warning being the one that triggered the disconnect. Never touched my phone during the drive.

I’ve got a 550-mile trip to Florida coming up soon and I bet I don’t make it to the 1st supercharger. We’ll see.
That’s all I was asking. Never implied you had a phone out. Simply curios if say you only get 5 software warnings and you used half experimenting?

That’s all I was asking. Never implied you had a phone out. Simply curios if say you only get 5 software warnings and you used half experimenting?
Yeah I think about half was from my testing and half falsely accused. I wonder if my testing triggered a much restrictive attention demand. I did another drive this evening, about the same distance, same roads, and no response from eye tracking.

That's what you get for testing the system
73959.jpg

Reactions: KerryOH
----------------

----------------

Let me tell you, it is so much fun getting beta updates one after another after being suspended for a faulty wheel sensor. I look at my car as reject every time I enter the garage.

Reactions: Ramphex