Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.12.2 Eye Tracking Shut Me Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does it handle when the driver wears a dark sunglass?
They have preplanned for that with IR sensors around the camera. Also to make sure to track you in the dark.
I warned my Model 3 about the constant nagging.. if one more nag and I will tape you up! So I did....
Lmao, covering the cabin camera causes a system fault. Won’t be surprised if the new car models have anal probes too, and the car won’t turn on until it senses the probe inside your anus.

How does IR sensor detect where the driver is looking? Seems that many FSD Beta drivers are complaining about false warnings...

IR emitters and sensors can see through sunglasses. Ever see a cat's eyes at night? That glow? That's what our eyes look like in the IR spectrum. We basically look like we have terminator eyes. And this works night or day.

With the pupil and retina so well-resolved in the IR spectrum, it's much easier to see what direction the eye is looking.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
IR emitters and sensors can see through sunglasses. Ever see a cat's eyes at night? That glow? That's what our eyes look like in the IR spectrum. We basically look like we have terminator eyes. And this works night or day.

With the pupil and retina so well-resolved in the IR spectrum, it's much easier to see what direction the eye is looking.

Does the Model 3/Y have this?

My understanding is only the new Model S/X have this.

The OP seems to have the newer IR version so my speculation is Tesla is leveraging the FSD beta to test out improvements to the driver monitoring system on the newer Model S/X.

If I was the OP I'd make sure to make it clear in the emails that I was an owner of such a vehicle.

If you're going on a long drive, just create a new profile beforehand and leave FSDb disabled on that profile.
Then it will work just like regular autopilot.
Also works great for those times when SWMBO is in the car.
When I'm using FSDb I'm usually the only person in the car, the rest of my family doesn't like it.

The OP seems to have the newer IR version so my speculation is Tesla is leveraging the FSD beta to test out improvements to the driver monitoring system on the newer Model S/X.

If I was the OP I'd make sure to make it clear in the emails that I was an owner of such a vehicle.

pretty sure 3/Y do NOT have this.

yet.

Drove to Lowes this afternoon, 5 miles one way. 2 instances of non-attentive driving within about a minute. One on a country road, the 2nd in a 4-lane with center turn lane.

Just finished a 30-minute drive at night and in the rain, on streets where the previous events took place. No warnings. On this drive I did plenty of eyes-right and eyes-left, looking for houses with & without power (due to a storm), but no extended eyes-off-road.

Another Model S with the same issue:
OMG my exact same issue. After putting it on Autopilot on the freeway or FSD on city streets - I get immediately RED flashing warning. I usually can easily dial up the volume(left) or speed button (right) and red flash goes away. this time that didn't work. I torqued the steering wheel but that doesn't register. Autopilot is basically useless (same with FSD). what is going on with this update? My internal camera had "not working" warning for months. I wonder if this is what's causing the problem

OMG my exact same issue. After putting it on Autopilot on the freeway or FSD on city streets - I get immediately RED flashing warning. I usually can easily dial up the volume(left) or speed button (right) and red flash goes away. this time that didn't work. I torqued the steering wheel but that doesn't register. Autopilot is basically useless (same with FSD). what is going on with this update? My internal camera had "not working" warning for months. I wonder if this is what's causing the problem
No camera, no FSD now.

I just had the same driver in attentiveness strike against me…. The 2nd one! I am always attentive! Mostly both hands on the wheel! So this time I was going straight and it wanted me to turn where there was no turn! So I kept going straight with both hands on the wheel. Just 3/4 miles before that, it suddenly flashed the full screen, red wheel takeover warning right after it changed lanes in the middle of a double lane left turn and I had had to take over! So it shut down the FSD the rest of my 50 mile trip and said I only had 3 more shut downs before I would not be able to use my $10,000 FSD option! This updated FSD has more problems for me than the older version. It won’t slow fast enough approaching towns, and won’t resume speeds back to 65 - ignores the signs! Then it won‘t let me even use Cruise Control until I pass a 65 mph sign it recognizes! In my small town it says there are TWO parallel main roads where there is only one main road and dings me for not turning off the highway onto the non-existent roads…..

Mainly, I feel FSD is unfairly shutting down my FSD. I am always paying attention with one or both hands on the wheel. Also, on my circular farm drive which is part asphalt, part gravel and part grass, it says “Corrective Steering” was required to prevent a mishap!

I just had the same driver in attentiveness strike against me…. The 2nd one! I am always attentive! Mostly both hands on the wheel! So this time I was going straight and it wanted me to turn where there was no turn! So I kept going straight with both hands on the wheel. Just 3/4 miles before that, it suddenly flashed the full screen, red wheel takeover warning right after it changed lanes in the middle of a double lane left turn and I had had to take over! So it shut down the FSD the rest of my 50 mile trip and said I only had 3 more shut downs before I would not be able to use my $10,000 FSD option! This updated FSD has more problems for me than the older version. It won’t slow fast enough approaching towns, and won’t resume speeds back to 65 - ignores the signs! Then it won‘t let me even use Cruise Control until I pass a 65 mph sign it recognizes! In my small town it says there are TWO parallel main roads where there is only one main road and dings me for not turning off the highway onto the non-existent roads…..

Mainly, I feel FSD is unfairly shutting down my FSD. I am always paying attention with one or both hands on the wheel. Also, on my circular farm drive which is part asphalt, part gravel and part grass, it says “Corrective Steering” was required to prevent a mishap!
Based on what you wrote you should consider disengaging it vs forcing it to go your way. If there is no road report it and disengage. If it’s not building speed quick enough simply spin the dial up to speed and report it.

Can confirm my 2021 MY has this garbage cabin stalking nag too. No FSD but it acts a fool on AP. Been using TACC only due to that.
Does the eye tracking happen on just City/Streets or does it also track highway driving with FSD enabled?
Everywhere as long as AP/FSD are turned on. Been using TACC only to avoid this nonsense.

My internal camera had "not working" warning for months. I wonder if this is what's causing the problem
Sorry for the late response, but yes, that is most likely what is causing your problem.

In vehicles that have cabin cameras installed, the cabin camera will generate a "Please Pay Attention" message on your screen. This message is cleared by looking straight ahead at the road. At least, that's how it should be cleared, but if the system isn't working correctly, it can cause inappropriate strikes.

Please note the difference in nag messages...

1. Steering wheel nags are caused by the system not sensing your hand on the steering wheel. This system produces the "Apply Slight Turning Force to Wheel" nag message, which is cleared by doing what the message says.

2. Cabin camera nags are caused by the system not detecting your eyes looking at the road. This nag produces the "Please Pay Attention" nag which is cleared (in a system that is working normally) by looking straight ahead at the road.

It's important to understand the differences in nags, as it determines the corrective action needed to clear the nag. Nags that aren't cleared will escalate their "nagginess," and will eventually cause a strike if they're not cleared in a timely manner.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Polarized sunglasses! In my 2018 M3, I will occasionally get warnings about not looking forward when driving on FSD when I'm NOT wearing my sunglasses. But with my (polarized?) sunglasses on, I don't ever get warnings - even if I stare at the M3's screen or look down at the floor for an unsafe amount of time.