Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.12.2 Eye Tracking Shut Me Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Polarized sunglasses! In my 2018 M3, I will occasionally get warnings about not looking forward when driving on FSD when I'm NOT wearing my sunglasses. But with my (polarized?) sunglasses on, I don't ever get warnings - even if I stare at the M3's screen or look down at the floor for an unsafe amount of time.
How are the windshield and the infotainment screen with the polarized sunglasses? I was going to get a pair but then decided not to in a fear that things would look wonky (some bad experiences in the past)

Might have to consider a pair now though, need a way to defeat the big brother camera that’s making my beta testing an unbearable experience.

How are the windshield and the infotainment screen with the polarized sunglasses? I was going to get a pair but then decided not to in a fear that things would look wonky (some bad experiences in the past)

Might have to consider a pair now though, need a way to defeat the big brother camera that’s making my beta testing an unbearable experience.
No problems with either. Maybe if I turned my head sideways? 😁

BTW, I've had a few different frames (aviator, wayfarer, eliminator) over the last 25 years but always with polarized G-15 (green) lenses (in case that makes a difference).

Reactions: Ramphex
No problems with either. Maybe if I turned my head sideways? 😁

BTW, I've had a few different frames (aviator, wayfarer, eliminator) over the last 25 years but always with polarized G-15 (green) lenses (in case that makes a difference).
I had polarized oakleys, before I had the Tesla, and it made screens in some cars have lines and windshields to have dark spots. This was a while ago though. Haven’t had a pair of polarized lens since.

Okay, let's try reverse psychology this time, because logic of Tesla putting in monitoring systems trying to avoid regulatory smack downs, and keep 16 year olds from making youtube clips of jumping in the back seat while their car drives itself, isn't working for some people.

Tesla removes all safety systems for monitoring driver alertness, because damn those sucked. Highway patrol reports increased calls from drivers on the freeways about people falling asleep at the wheel, because driving long distances is boring, but AP makes it easy. It's hilarious having my commute stalled because 4 cop cars are having to surround a Tesla and slow it down to a stop to wake up the driver. I laughed so hard the other day when I passed a fiery collision of a Tesla and a minivan because the person driving the Tesla was on her phone and then had to show her friends in the backseat the latest Insta she just saw about a sneezing panda and nudged the wheel when she twisted around, disabling AP. You should have seen the look on my friend's face when my filling came out and I spit it across the dashboard after slamming hard into that pothole, popping my front tire while we were playing asteroids on the screen. He couldn't stop laughing, especially when we got rear ended after sideswiping that motorcycle.

I hope I've painted enough pictures for people to understand why these safety monitoring systems are in place. But don't ever forget - life is a privilege, and it is an experience that must be cherished beyond measure. And proper protection and security, though at times I admit, it's a drag, is never too high a price to pay.

Reactions: Yelobird
Okay, let's try reverse psychology this time, because logic of Tesla putting in monitoring systems trying to avoid regulatory smack downs, and keep 16 year olds from making youtube clips of jumping in the back seat while their car drives itself, isn't working for some people.

Tesla removes all safety systems for monitoring driver alertness, because damn those sucked. Highway patrol reports increased calls from drivers on the freeways about people falling asleep at the wheel, because driving long distances is boring, but AP makes it easy. It's hilarious having my commute stalled because 4 cop cars are having to surround a Tesla and slow it down to a stop to wake up the driver. I laughed so hard the other day when I passed a fiery collision of a Tesla and a minivan because the person driving the Tesla was on her phone and then had to show her friends in the backseat the latest Insta she just saw about a sneezing panda and nudged the wheel when she twisted around, disabling AP. You should have seen the look on my friend's face when my filling came out and I spit it across the dashboard after slamming hard into that pothole, popping my front tire while we were playing asteroids on the screen. He couldn't stop laughing, especially when we got rear ended after sideswiping that motorcycle.

I hope I've painted enough pictures for people to understand why these safety monitoring systems are in place. But don't ever forget - life is a privilege, and it is an experience that must be cherished beyond measure. And proper protection and security, though at times I admit, it's a drag, is never too high a price to pay.

Sure you can throw out all of these far fetched situations that are caused by PEOPLE’S BEHAVIOR. (moderator edit) You’re not going to save everyone. If people decide to be reckless while driving, shooting, cutting down trees, working with chemicals, flying private planes, riding jet skies, list goes on, they’ll do it, regardless of what safety features you stick in there, until you make things fully autonomous and don’t allow any user input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you can throw out all of these far fetched situations that are caused by PEOPLE’S BEHAVIOR. I think you should take it a step further and write a petition to ban all the cars that don’t have any of these safety features the Teslas have. You know….. to make driving safer. Or make it mandatory for them to hire observers to sit in the passenger seat and watch people drive to make sure they do everything safely. Ban all the tractor trailers and busses too, they don’t have any of these interior cams or autopilots and stuff, must be dangerous.

You also probably believe that guns kill people and they should be banned.

While you’re writing that petition, could you also outlaw scissors without safety features just so no one gets injured with a pair.

I can keep going, but what’s the point. You’re not going to save everyone. If people decide to be reckless while driving, shooting, cutting down trees, working with chemicals, flying private planes, riding jet skies, list goes on, they’ll do it, regardless of what safety features you stick in there, until you make things fully autonomous and don’t allow any user input.
Same was said for all regulations through time. People railed against seatbelts and seatbelt laws when they were introduced, but they've been proven over and over again to save lives. And some people hated the extra cost when airbags were gaining traction, even though they save lives too. And don't get me started on anti-vaxxers when we virtually eliminated polio worldwide.

You certainly went left field here. Fact is people hate regulations and rules Till it effects them. Truth be told they don’t care if how it effects you vs the people You will harm not using common sense. These measures are to protect again people with your position.
the point is that the people will defeat any safety measure when they want to act reckless, until you make things autonomous without any possible user input. Going around banning everything isn’t a solution.

So it shut down the FSD the rest of my 50 mile trip and said I only had 3 more shut downs before I would not be able to use my $10,000 FSD option!
I am not saying you were not unjustly given a strike. You probably were unfairly dinged.

However, what you paid $10k for is NOT OUT YET. You are being offered an opportunity to test an UNFINISHED version of it, but what you paid $10k for is not available yet. When the non-beta version is out, then there won't be a 5-strike rule.

the point is that the people will defeat any safety measure when they want to act reckless, until you make things autonomous without any possible user input. Going around banning everything isn’t a solution.
Rules and laws aren’t for everyone but usually the ones most bothered by them are the Reason we need them. Don’t want to play by the rules, simply don’t play. If a camera bothers you So much might be time to opt out and find happiness.

Many car companies, Tesla chief among them, are coming under increased scrutiny from regulators. There is pressure for rules over autonomous vehicles which have historically been left alone to develop the technology. Tesla likely added additional monitoring as a preemptive measure. I wouldn't be surprised if regulator eventually require all vehicles with L2 or higher systems to have monitoring of some kind, including eye tracking.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Many car companies, Tesla chief among them, are coming under increased scrutiny from regulators. There is pressure for rules over autonomous vehicles which have historically been left alone to develop the technology. Tesla likely added additional monitoring as a preemptive measure. I wouldn't be surprised if regulator eventually require all vehicles with L2 or higher systems to have monitoring of some kind, including eye tracking.
Interesting that they want eye tracking for people who are using assistance features but people driving reckless manually could be drunk/tired/on the phone/getting road dome and it’s all good.

Interesting that they want eye tracking for people who are using assistance features but people driving reckless manually could be drunk/tired/on the phone/getting road dome and it’s all good.
Presumably because such systems can lull the driver into an inattentive state. You're correct that L4 and L5 systems are the ultimate solution, but the technology has to evolve, we have to learn to walk first before we run. As for non autonomous cars having these systems, there are systems, such as breathalyzers, when people prove they can't drive safely. We try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and trust they will behave in a responsible manner, but we don't always trust technology, especially evolving technology.

I think the point is that the nanny technology doesn't appear to be working properly in some hardware iterations or vehicle versions. Hopefully that feedback is going to Tesla, but in the meantime, people who want to test, and have proven themselves to be responsible, are SOL.

And I'm not complaining because the nanny system seems to be behaving properly in my car. I have been able to check the screen, mirrors and surroundings and it hasn't dinged me (yet). :)

Reactions: Ramphex and Dewg
What I find interesting is my camera monitoring doesn't work. On FSD City/Streets I can look away as long and never get an alert. I do wear sunglasses during the day most of the time but not a hat. Of course that doesn't apply to driving at night. Go figure. Early VIN Model Y.

Last edited:
So, based on this criticism, you advocate eye tracking for manual driving as well as ADAS? Given that inattentiveness is the leading cause of accidents, you might have a good idea.

So, based on this criticism, you advocate eye tracking for manual driving as well as ADAS? Given that inattentiveness is the leading cause of accidents, you might have a good idea.
I advocate for it being optional. I appreciate a freedom of choice. I should not be penalized into something because of people who suck. Sucky people will continue to suck and find ways to exploit safety features. Just like someone mentioned breathalyzers earlier…. Tons of people get someone else to breathe into it to start their car. Sole people will suck no matter what, it’s inevitable.

• Love
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I advocate for it being optional. I appreciate a freedom of choice. I should not be penalized into something because of people who suck. Sucky people will continue to suck and find ways to exploit safety features. Just like someone mentioned breathalyzers earlier…. Tons of people get someone else to breathe into it to start their car. Sole people will suck no matter what, it’s inevitable.
You seem to have a fixation on vacuum cleaners. Or, maybe anger issues. Perhaps we should include features to automatically enable chill mode when the neural networks detect an aggressive angry driver. This could be the best safety feature yet!

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
Polarized sunglasses! In my 2018 M3, I will occasionally get warnings about not looking forward when driving on FSD when I'm NOT wearing my sunglasses. But with my (polarized?) sunglasses on, I don't ever get warnings - even if I stare at the M3's screen or look down at the floor for an unsafe amount of time.
With polarized glasses, it only tracks where your head is facing. it doesnt track eyes in 3/y.

• Disagree
Reactions: Phlier