Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.12.2 Eye Tracking Shut Me Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the email I sent to Tesla EarlyAccess Program:
----------------
I installed 10.12.2 (2022.12.3.20) last night and went for my first drive today. Still NSFW (wife) but that’s another story.

What is totally infuriating is that the internal camera kept zinging me for not watching the road when I WAS! It finally disabled FSD for the remainder of the drive, and when I got home I got a notice that 4 more events like this will result in FSD being revoked. It obviously is having trouble determining where my eyes are pointing and to remove FSD because of this software failure is enough to make my blood boil. I certainly hope you guys jump on this and fix it before my FSD is revoked.

To be complete in what happened, I did test the eye tracking by looking down, then left 45 degrees, then right 45 degrees as I was curious as to what limits were in place. I got maybe 3 warnings during my testing like this. But then I started getting warnings (3 or more) when I was just driving (with FSD enabled) down the road looking straight ahead. And finally it alerted me that FSD was shutting down (while looking straight ahead, again).

Don’t alienate a loyal Tesla customer. Model 3, Model X and Model S-Plaid owner.

VIN: 5YJSA1E69MFxxxxxx
----------------

I don't know what I'll do if they kick me out. I won't be sitting still that much I do know.
I'd just open a service request with Tesla since the camera isn't functioning as it should. This is very uncommon, and the vast majority of beta testers aren't experiencing this.

With polarized glasses, it only tracks where your head is facing. it doesnt track eyes in 3/y.
It will attempt to track eyes, even if you're wearing sunglasses, and even if you're wearing sunglasses at night. Eye tracking isn't dependent on vehicle model, it's only dependent on whether or not the cabin camera is installed. Not sure why you would state, "it doesn't track eyes in 3/y?"

Daytime video:

Night video:

Last edited:
Th
It will attempt to track eyes, even if you're wearing sunglasses, and even if you're wearing sunglasses at night. Eye tracking isn't dependent on vehicle model, it's only dependent on whether or not the cabin camera is installed. Not sure why you would state, "it doesn't track eyes in 3/y?"

Daytime video:

Night video:
That at video is so old. I wish people valued a experiences of others rather than citing one old video. I’ve tested it looking all directions for a long period of time, with my sunglasses head completely forward. It doesn’t nag. But take my glasses off and have my eyes look left for 15 seconds while heads facing forward and it nags. I can replicate that all day long.

I have seen a few of you with the internal camera issue. I can certainly see why the monitor has issues with you

1655553505492.gif

Sorry for the late response, but yes, that is most likely what is causing your problem.

In vehicles that have cabin cameras installed, the cabin camera will generate a "Please Pay Attention" message on your screen. This message is cleared by looking straight ahead at the road. At least, that's how it should be cleared, but if the system isn't working correctly, it can cause inappropriate strikes.

Please note the difference in nag messages...

1. Steering wheel nags are caused by the system not sensing your hand on the steering wheel. This system produces the "Apply Slight Turning Force to Wheel" nag message, which is cleared by doing what the message says.

2. Cabin camera nags are caused by the system not detecting your eyes looking at the road. This nag produces the "Please Pay Attention" nag which is cleared (in a system that is working normally) by looking straight ahead at the road.

It's important to understand the differences in nags, as it determines the corrective action needed to clear the nag. Nags that aren't cleared will escalate their "nagginess," and will eventually cause a strike if they're not cleared in a timely manner.
Yup! I got it serviced. they fixed the internal camera and now FSD/autopilot is back to normal! Thank you

I advocate for it being optional. I appreciate a freedom of choice. I should not be penalized into something because of people who suck. Sucky people will continue to suck and find ways to exploit safety features. Just like someone mentioned breathalyzers earlier…. Tons of people get someone else to breathe into it to start their car. Sole people will suck no matter what, it’s inevitable.
You’ve been very vocal about your opposition to the cabin camera. As many have pointed out, various forms of driver monitoring have been necessitated by many more forms of driver idiocy. You say that all of this is the drivers’ responsibility, and while that may be technically true, the fact of the matter is Tesla pays for these incidents both in terms of bad publicity as well as regulatory scrutiny, neither of which are inconsequential. In also would not make any assumptions about legal liability.

FSDb is an optional program. You are under no obligation to participate. If you find the cabin camera objectionable then you should opt out, but for the time being, Tesla has decided that they will use it to make the program as safe as possible and to minimize their risk and liability.

Reactions: GalacticHero
You’ve been very vocal about your opposition to the cabin camera. As many have pointed out, various forms of driver monitoring have been necessitated by many more forms of driver idiocy. You say that all of this is the drivers’ responsibility, and while that may be technically true, the fact of the matter is Tesla pays for these incidents both in terms of bad publicity as well as regulatory scrutiny, neither of which are inconsequential. In also would not make any assumptions about legal liability.

FSDb is an optional program. You are under no obligation to participate. If you find the cabin camera objectionable then you should opt out, but for the time being, Tesla has decided that they will use it to make the program as safe as possible and to minimize their risk and liability.
That's fine, then get away with the steering yoke nag. I think at this point the car is supervising me supervising it driving on FSDb more than I supervise it. It doesn't help that I haven't used FSDb in a couple of weeks now due to the annoying raging red arms of "pay attention"... I can't pay anymore attention than I'm already paying. Damn inflation is even affecting how much I got to pay in attention now with this car :D

Reactions: cleverscreenam
I said it doesn’t have the IR to see through polarized glasses. It tracks eyes, but no IR

Doesn't have to be polarized. anything dark or has a reflective coating where the visible light camera can't detect your irises will have the same effect.

The exception is in some refreshed S/X where along with the cabin camera, there are IR emitters. Those will help the camera see your retinas (like glowy cat eyes) and sunglasses will not help.

That's fine, then get away with the steering yoke nag. I think at this point the car is supervising me supervising it driving on FSDb more than I supervise it.
This entire thread is a perfect reminder of why I will never get rid of my PreAP dumb cruise control Model S.
@Ramphex Maybe you would be more comfortable in an AP1 car? Perhaps rooted to an earlier software version like 8.0 with very few nags?

Reactions: Maasaw and Ramphex
This entire thread is a perfect reminder of why I will never get rid of my PreAP dumb cruise control Model S.
@Ramphex Maybe you would be more comfortable in an AP1 car? Perhaps rooted to an earlier software version like 8.0 with very few nags?
I just drive the car manually, I don’t find that to be an inconvenience at all. The only thing I regret is wasting $10k, but I live and learn. I won’t purchase the FSD capability in any of my future Teslas until they finally release it and it has excellent reviews as a finished product.

Did Service give any indication what's wrong? I'm taking mine in for the same symptoms on Tuesday.
I took mine in for the camera issue (fake nags about paying attention). 80 miles to the service center. They kept it for 3 hours and gave it a test drive around their short test route and it did not ding their driver. Next step is an at-home service (on 7/20) to replace the interior camera. We'll see how that goes.