Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10/21 Munich Tesla Event with Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He just stated on Twitter that 135kw is coming to US next year:

Tweets All / No replies

He just stated on Twitter that 135kw is coming to US next year:

Tweets All / No replies

Love how I find out through this forum that he replied to my tweet :D

I just returned home from the event in my new MSP. First time I could really go fast on the Autobahn (hit top speed of 215 km/h and could drive it for a few minutes). Awesome car (in case you didn't know).

I am glad I went (220 km drive one way). There were some folks who had driven their MS 450 km one way on a single charge to attend.

I would estimate there were 200+ people in the room, about 50 were identified as members of the German Tesla Freunde Forum.

Anyway these were my point I took home from the Elon Musk talk:

Three things he wanted to annouce:

1) High Speed Upgrade for free, retrofit for free for all delivered cars (in Germany I guess, not sure what that encompasses)
2) 40 SCs in D, highest per capita # of SC by end of 2014, 6 of them in 2013, locations to be announced on thursday (if your going fast, you will need more power --> closer placement of SCs)
3) Navigation update to optimize travel time (including SCs and wind speed in the calculation), this included in the upcoming december update

Other things I learned:

Tesla is planning Service Centers within 100 km distance from the customers. Elon asked for applications of anyone wanting to work for Tesla in Germany.

He makes a salary of 1$ (hey good, so I make many thousand times as much as he does) and he'll be the last one to sell his shares of TSLA stock

Gen III at least 320 km range, first prototype in about 12-15 months

Significant ramp up next year, 200 per week to Germany, 400 per week US; Germany an important market for Tesla (though not the largest, but perhaps the largest per capita, the largest being America and China)

Open Apps for third party developement possibly by end of next year

Thinking about an android emulator for the screen unit

80 % of the time he uses for Tesla go for the expansion of production capacity und Model X developement

Panasonic is to triple capacity by end of next year, meaning 1200 to 1500 cars per week will be possible end of next year

Samsung and LG as second source battery suppliers

Electric folding mirrors retrofit will come

Press Release will come on thursday

ACC, Lane Control and blind spot detection will come eventually, not sure if they can be retrofit.

At one point he said, just get another car, if you want the best and the newest.

Any Hotel that puts a HPC in an exposed location, he will give one for free

New seats in development, softer seats in production now, new seat in developement probably in 9 months

-----------------

Sorry I couldn't capture everything, but these were some of the important topics I can remember. This post is based in memory and my comprehension of what he sais, so please don't be harsh if I misunderstood something.

Exiting times.

From the video I got the impression that the high speed tuning package may not actually increase the maximum speed, just improve handling, or maybe cooling to allow longer time at speed.

Yes, that is also my guess. Top speed is ok, but power limit kicks in pretty quickly at high speeds. Actually you can accelerate once up to 200kmh and then you have more or less regularly the power limited. The car feels like it could do better and the limit seems to be kind of artificial. My guess is that it has been set quite conservatively. Might be an easy improvement to make. Other than this the dampers could be a bit stiffer at high speed sometimes it feels a bit like the car gets into some low frequency oscillation. Don't know how to properly explain this behaviour, but I'm sure it can be improved easily. I'm not an expert though.

I just returned home from the event in my new MSP. First time I could really go fast on the Autobahn (hit top speed of 215 km/h and could drive it for a few minutes). Awesome car (in case you didn't know).

I am glad I went (220 km drive one way). There were some folks who had driven their MS 450 km one way on a single charge to attend.

I would estimate there were 200+ people in the room, about 50 were identified as members of the German Tesla Freunde Forum.

Anyway these were my point I took home from the Elon Musk talk:

Three things he wanted to annouce:

1) High Speed Upgrade for free, retrofit for free for all delivered cars (in Germany I guess, not sure what that encompasses)
2) 40 SCs in D, highest per capita # of SC by end of 2014, 6 of them in 2013, locations to be announced on thursday (if your going fast, you will need more power --> closer placement of SCs)
3) Navigation update to optimize travel time (including SCs and wind speed in the calculation), this included in the upcoming december update

Other things I learned:

Tesla is planning Service Centers within 100 km distance from the customers. Elon asked for applications of anyone wanting to work for Tesla in Germany.

He makes a salary of 1$ (hey good, so I make many thousand times as much as he does) and he'll be the last one to sell his shares of TSLA stock

Gen III at least 320 km range, first prototype in about 12-15 months

Significant ramp up next year, 200 per week to Germany, 400 per week US; Germany an important market for Tesla (though not the largest, but perhaps the largest per capita, the largest being America and China)

Open Apps for third party developement possibly by end of next year

Thinking about an android emulator for the screen unit

80 % of the time he uses for Tesla go for the expansion of production capacity und Model X developement

Panasonic is to triple capacity by end of next year, meaning 1200 to 1500 cars per week will be possible end of next year

Samsung and LG as second source battery suppliers

Electric folding mirrors retrofit will come

Press Release will come on thursday

ACC, Lane Control and blind spot detection will come eventually, not sure if they can be retrofit.

At one point he said, just get another car, if you want the best and the newest.

Any Hotel that puts a HPC in an exposed location, he will give one for free

New seats in development, softer seats in production now, new seat in developement probably in 9 months

-----------------

Sorry I couldn't capture everything, but these were some of the important topics I can remember. This post is based in memory and my comprehension of what he sais, so please don't be harsh if I misunderstood something.

Exiting times.

Thanks Johann, well done.

Exiting times indeed.

You did not record a video?

Appreciate the report from our German members, it's been a while since we had a nice update like this.

I remember reading JB saying that 120kW wasn't the upper limit and they would continue to try to push it. I have not seen confirmation that 120 kW are active anywhere in the US yet, because the software update that is required has not been pushed out yet. Did I miss that? I've used almost all the West Coast Superchargers.

@Johann

Thanks for the update. Could you elaborate on the "If you want the best and the newest, get another car"? Not really sure what was meant by this.

Congrats on the MSP :)

Not all features can be retrofit. He mentioned the harness in the car. So if you want the newest features the way to go would be to get the newest car.

I guess that is why many of us have the newest smart phone, computer, etc.

Elon did mention there are a lot of upgrades in the pipeline that can be done by software update.... stay tuned

I love the incentive program for hotels. Glad Tesla is pursuing programs like this.

Now, if only Tesla extended the program so that if a Tesla owner goes out and gets, say, 5 hotels to commit, they all get 2 HPWCs for the price of 1, and the owner who signed up the 5 hotels gets a HPWC and twin chargers for free.

I love the incentive program for hotels. Glad Tesla is pursuing programs like this.

Now, if only Tesla extended the program so that if a Tesla owner goes out and gets, say, 5 hotels to commit, they all get 2 HPWCs for the price of 1, and the owner who signed up the 5 hotels gets a HPWC and twin chargers for free.

That might be pushing it. I think Elon is being more than generous offering the $1,200 chargers free to those locations that make them publicly available. The real cost to Tesla is likely only $800-$900.

It makes a lot of sense.
Tesla gets hundreds of locations at 20 kW, for the equivalent cost of one Supercharger, and Tesla doesn't have to pay for the electricity or installation costs.

Gen III at least 320 km range, first prototype in about 12-15 monthsExiting times.

Wow that is the first time Elon has made any mention of a timeline for the Gen3 prototype.
That would be coincide fairly closely with the Model X roll out. Exciting times ahead!!

Wow that is the first time Elon has made any mention of a timeline for the Gen3 prototype.
That would be coincide fairly closely with the Model X roll out. Exciting times ahead!!

Tesla must have about $70 million in deposits for Model X in their cash accounts.
so right when those are disappearing due to Model X production, then Tesla starts collecting for Gen3 waiting list. It makes sense, otherwise they might show too much cash burn as those X deposits disappear.