Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10/21 Munich Tesla Event with Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yah, that's what I was referring to. We had one of those fancy "auto whiteout" backspace keys. (And, no, I don't mean metaphorically; it was literally tape with white paint or whatever on it.)

Yes, yes...that came after I graduated. I was talking about the bottles of whiteout that you painted on like nail polish, blew on for 5 minutes to dry it, then retyped over it.

Full 30 minute video of event is now on Youtube.

Search Musk + Germany. It is in two parts.

Thank You! I still don't see a clip with comments on Panasonic unfortunately. I found this text on Motley Fool though:

"Musk reassured his audience about the current anxiety surrounding Tesla's battery cell supply. He stated that Panasonic is set to increase its battery manufacturing capacity to allow Tesla to build between 1,200 and 1,500 cars a week by the end of next year. Samsung and LG are also stepping up as secondary suppliers to make sure the supply of battery cells keeps up with the demand."

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...a-prototype-of-teslas-gen-iii-in-12-mont.aspx

I thought it was interesting to find out that they really aren't as focused on the Gen III as we might think. It's just sketches right now and a prototype won't appear until 2015. Elon seems so calm about it, I wonder if he is the same behind the scenes because it's a huge idea to take on.

I thought it was interesting to find out that they really aren't as focused on the Gen III as we might think. It's just sketches right now and a prototype won't appear until 2015. Elon seems so calm about it, I wonder if he is the same behind the scenes because it's a huge idea to take on.
Just one take...

I don't think Tesla is "very far" on the actual Gen3 car(s) design. Tesla and I probably agree that they don't need to be. They also don't want to be -- locking down specifics this early (especially publicly) limits their options and/or makes it likely they will have to issue corrections/modifications/etc. that are reasonable and/or trivial but fuel the hysterics of the anti-Tesla and/or anti-EV crowd.

Elon is looking at the real challenges of Gen 3 like the supply chain, charging infrastructure, factories, etc. The actual vehicle specifics will be resolved in due time and, currently, take a back seat (not literally) to Model X design and keeping Model S (re)design/new-optionality/retrofits running smoothing.

Interestingly when talking about Tesla shares, Elon reiterated he guarantees he will be the last one selling shares. The fact he has mentioned this in a few occasions makes me believe he really mean it literally. So how can he guarantee that? The only way is being acquired at some point. So I very much think once the Model E is out and Tesla becomes one of the main players in the auto industry, Elon will sell Tesla and move on to his next grand idea.

Kevin - he can back away from the company without selling his stake. He can hire a CEO and free up most of his time for SpaceX and retain his stake. Similar to his involvement in SolarCity as chairman of the board.

IMO, there is no reason for him to sell to major automaker. Musk has also mentioned plans for his legacy and Tesla. If I recall correctly he said that he admired Ford and how the Ford family is still part of the company. Therefore, "last money out" I take to be not selling for a very long time, if not ever selling ever.

Last edited:
Open Apps for third party developement possibly by end of next year

Thinking about an android emulator for the screen unit

From watching the video, he was asked about when 3rd party development would be opened, and he talked a bit about their focus right now. He says they're doing a lot of localization of the software to enable rollouts in various countries. He also said there are a handful of other things they'd like to get done before they open it up, such as upgrading the browser to Chrome. Then he mentioned that the current code is written in Linux using the QT library.

Just one take...

I don't think Tesla is "very far" on the actual Gen3 car(s) design. Tesla and I probably agree that they don't need to be. They also don't want to be -- locking down specifics this early (especially publicly) limits their options and/or makes it likely they will have to issue corrections/modifications/etc. that are reasonable and/or trivial but fuel the hysterics of the anti-Tesla and/or anti-EV crowd.

Elon is looking at the real challenges of Gen 3 like the supply chain, charging infrastructure, factories, etc. The actual vehicle specifics will be resolved in due time and, currently, take a back seat (not literally) to Model X design and keeping Model S (re)design/new-optionality/retrofits running smoothing.

This.

A project like this starts with a concept phase that could be of any duration. A small team is throwing around ideas, soaking them in caffeine and beers, doing analysis at the back of napkins and drawing sketches to drool over. Then they do it again and again, until it comes together. They probably have a checklist of what the concept should be that they check the evolving concept(s) against.

Then they go out to suppliers and ask them what they can do. Then they go back to the previous paragraph for some time again.

I don't believe the team gets a whole lot bigger even while they are building the prototype. Maybe the manufacturing guys start looking at it before then, but maybe not all that much.

Once the concept is set, some time after the prototype, the fun begins. A huge engineering project is born. I think that this is the stage the Model X got to this quarter, since Elon guided a significant R&D cost increase due to Model X. The GenIII is not likely to get to that stage for at least another two years, IMHO.

Kevin - he can back away from the company without selling his stake. He can hire a CEO and free up most of his time for SpaceX and retain his stake. Similar to his involvement in SolarCity as chairman of the board.

IMO, there is no reason for him to sell to major automaker. Musk has also mentioned plans for his legacy and Tesla. If I recall correctly he said that he admired Ford and how the Ford family is still part of the company. Therefore, "last money out" I take to be not selling for a very long time, if not ever selling ever.

Just what I was going to say. :)

I would tend to disagree. There have been many guesses as to how focused Tesla is on Gen3 but nothing substantive. I think it has been clear they are focused on the Model X.
For Elon to finally discuss an estimated prototype timeline is encouraging and in some sense ground breaking.

There is a 7kW J1772 EVSE at Yosemite Village. The EVSE is upgradable to 16 kW if they come up with the circuit. Of course, a 16 kW EVSE at the Ahwahnee would be a welcome improvement.

It's a good start, but with just one Level 2 charging station in Yosemite I wouldn't risk a trip from the SF Bay Area. Yosemite needs some more Level 2 charging stations, and EV owners need a way to have guaranteed access to them. Could be accomplished with a reservation system or a valet who controls access.

I'm sure they keep innovating their technology and manufacturing along with Model S and Model X development iterations, and eventually the Gen3 will come out of that (just smaller and with fewer base features, aside from design).

I don't think Elon Musk will stay at tesla for very long after Model E release. He want to prove the EV concept for mass production. He is thinker and like to do something new (hyperloop or something else or spaceX for ordinary folks to visit mars for shopping...kidding).. he don't care about CEO title (fired previous tesla CEO because of not moving tesla in direction he wanted and other things..)

And gone again?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a really really far fetched idea. In fact, if someone would have suggested it a couple of weeks back I would have said no way. Now, not so sure....

Elon didn't go to the opening of the first European supercharger network. Nor to one of the biggest auto shows this year (Frankfurt about a month ago). So an appearance at a service center in Munich all of a sudden?
Doesn't add up...
But wait, what's in Munich? BMW headquarters... Hmm...
I read a hint somewhere that BMW would make some kind of announcement about electric mobility during October. Well October doesn't have many more days left and there will be a Tesla press release tomorrow about superchargers in Germany. Just a coincidence? Yes, probably it just is....
Or not...

These are just my ramblings, I have no facts and doesn't really know anything about this. Just putting some information I have read in the last couple of days together...