Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.3.1 rolling out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to decide whether I should send the email to be removed from FSD beta. My wife was terrified.

Also considering contacting the NHTSB about the whole thing. It’s unacceptable.

You sign up for an experimental beta program where they explicitly warn you that “the car may do the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time” and when that happens you are shocked? A reasonable person who recognizes they aren’t capable of handling the beta program would just opt out or turn off the feature.

There are so many owners on here that seem to not understand what a real beta program is (versus the old EAP cya beta). This is the real deal. There is a reason access to this beta program is by request/invite. It’s not a reward, it’s an obligation. You have the chance to be a part of something interesting but make no mistake, being part of the sausage making isn’t the same as eating it. You’re sort of a test pilot at this point, hoping the wings stay on.

Last edited:
Same here, I still sit on 10.3 with no updates yet. I parked my Tesla in the garage for the day. I drive a 16mpg SUV today for safety. I feel sorry for those who have no other option.

I'm still on 10.3 - 35.5.1 started downloading yesterday then cancelled itself. When I got in the car this morning, FCW had been disabled (I assume pushed by Tesla), AEB had *not* been disabled. On my drive to work today without engaging FSD, the car behaved just fine, unlike the fiasco yesterday with the crazy FCW warnings and braking.

Based on various threads it looks like Tesla pushed OTAs to at least disable FCW as a temporary mitigation, and if so, that and/or AEB disabled fixes the issue while waiting on the next update. I have not seen a notification for 10.3.1 yet though.

You sign up for an experimental beta program where they explicitly warn you that “the car may do the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time” and when that happens you are shocked? A reasonable person who recognizes they aren’t capable of handling the beta program would just opt out or turn off the feature.

There are so many owners on here that seem to not understand what a real beta program is (versus the old EAP cya beta). This is the real deal. There is a reason access to this beta program is by request/invite. It’s not a reward, it’s an obligation. You have the chance to be a part of something interesting but make no mistake, being part of the sausage making isn’t the same as eating it.
Right. Where does it say your car may do the wrong thing even when autopilot is completely off and you are manually driving the car?

But I’m glad my criticism of this unacceptable critical failure on the part of Tesla makes me an unreasonable person who doesn’t expect a manually driven car to almost kill me on the highway.

You got me. You win the internet.

I wasn’t being sarcastic. Sorry if you got booted. We are talking Tesla here. Something went very wrong. If a few folks got booted, Tesla won’t care. They can get back on. It’s Beta. It’s just gonna to be to much work to erase the bad driving score or special case it. It would risk creating more problems.

Not everyone that got booted has a bad score. My educated guess is. If you had 10.3 and showing a bad score now you won’t get back in until it’s back up. I could be wrong, but I rarely am ;)
I didn’t get booted. I’m still on 10.3. :)

In addition to everything else I said (as to why I disagree with your educated guess), remember that many of the private beta testers (primarily social media influencers who have been testing the beta software for over a year) got booted. Do you think Elon is going to make these VIPs establish a safety score (especially since they were hand-picked by Tesla a year ago) to now prove themselves of deserving access to the beta by getting a requisite safety score? What about the 1000 or so Tesla employees who also participated in private beta testing? No way!!! Elon may not give a d*mn about me, but he surely cares about his employees and the Tesla fanboys who have been making FSD videos, regular posting on various social media platforms, and praising Tesla’s every move.

So, in my opinion, Tesla is going to restore everyone who got initially upgraded to 10.3. It does not require some complex level of coding (esp when compared to the coding required to design/implement self-driving software).

Since you are rarely wrong and since I am rarely wrong, how about a friendly wager? Loser buys the other one a plaid? 😉

Right. Where does it say your car may do the wrong thing even when autopilot is completely off and you are manually driving the car?
It says it right in the email by not specifically fencing in FSD with the warning. You are not running public software. This is a complete beta firmware build, in all respects. Expect anything and everything to get jacked up.

Even Elon's "NOW" is as accurate as his "two weeks". 🤣🤣🤣

Drove to work and was able to use 10.3 Beta most of the way. Hate to sound like a couple of the YouTube fanboy testers but it seems much improved over 10.2.

However on the drive home AP/FSD was of course MIA and was afraid to drive Interstate so I took the long way and drove like a grandpa 🧙‍♂️ nursing a 100 Safety Score and their life depended on it.:eek::eek:

But I’m glad my criticism of this unacceptable critical failure on the part of Tesla makes me an unreasonable person who doesn’t expect a manually driven car to almost kill me on the highway.

You got me. You win the internet.

We hear you, buddy. We understand. Just get out of beta, problem solved.

Yeah, I don't think there are any updates rolling out now. Elon may have tweeted, but they need to sort this mess out first.

With that said, I'm getting 36.5.2 repushed from service to try and resolve my telescoping steering wheel that stopped working after the update...what a mess.

Anyway....obviously they can push the current version out to people still or newer/older whatever. FCW and AEB, I can disable which I always do, but my steering wheel jammed all the way forward, tilt working fine and button...is hazardous. Anyway...will wait and see what happens with this situation and let others play guinea pigs...haha

Yeah, I don't think there are any updates rolling out now. Elon may have tweeted, but they need to sort this mess out first.

With that said, I'm getting 36.5.2 repushed from service to try and resolve my telescoping steering wheel that stopped working after the update...what a mess.

Anyway....obviously they can push the current version out to people still or newer/older whatever. FCW and AEB, I can disable which I always do, but my steering wheel jammed all the way forward, tilt working fine and button...is hazardous. Anyway...will wait and see what happens with this situation and let others play guinea pigs...haha
Per the echo chamber:

“Just opt out of the beta (pre-alpha). This is your fault short seller. Har har.”

After being rolled back from 10.3, I had a funny incident where my driver's mirror was folder but the passenger one wasn't. I fixed it by getting out of the car and locking/unlocking it. Just curious if anyone else had this.

Nowhere is the word experimental used.

I’m trying to understand your perspective. Perhaps you haven’t ever had any software development experience or prototype/product testing experience. I will say that as far as product testing goes, this current experience is par for the course. What makes it somewhat unique is that the beta testing and validation is opened to outsiders, although there is some precedent in the video game industry. Given that your expectations seem to be aligned around receiving a finished product, you may want to exit the program and wait for public release. Make no mistake, FSD beta is going to be real work for the testers here, and keep in mind, other companies typically pay a workforce to do what we are all volunteering to do here.

Reactions: K5TRX
It says it right in the email by not specifically fencing in FSD with the warning. You are not running public software. This is a complete beta firmware build, in all respects. Expect anything and everything to get jacked up.

while I think we all understand it is a beta, it should never cause your emergency brakes to lock up at highways speeds nearly causing a fish tail. That is like saying, well you are using a beta on your phone...you should expect it to explode.

I have been so excited to get in the beta. As you suggested, I immediately opted out after yesterday. I seriously thought I was going to get in a fatal crash. 80mph and e-brake kicked in for no reason on a six lane highway. Fortunately the car behind me was far enough away and no one was next to me. I had to pull over to regain my composure. I was scared to finish my drive home. Wasn't using AP either because I thought that was causing the FCW. Had 109 of them in a 25 minute drive.

I’m trying to understand your perspective. Perhaps you haven’t ever had any software development experience or prototype/product testing experience. I will say that as far as product testing goes, this current experience is par for the course. What makes it somewhat unique is that the beta testing and validation is opened to outsiders, although there is some precedent in the video game industry. Given that your expectations seem to be aligned around receiving a finished product, you may want to exit the program and wait for public release. Make no mistake, FSD beta is going to be real work for the testers here, and keep in mind, other companies typically pay a workforce to do what we are all volunteering to do here.
I appreciate your response. I completely understand that this is a beta so my expectations were primarily going to be around testing the city driving aspect including the car making turns and navigating stop lights etc. I’ve driven my Model 3 for over 40,000 miles and use autopilot every day on the highway to and from work. Never had something like brakes slam on at 65mph on highway for no reason. I just don’t think it is reasonable to expect that level of uncertainty at this point in the development of FSD.