Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.3.1 rolling out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate your response. I completely understand that this is a beta so my expectations were primarily going to be around testing the city driving aspect including the car making turns and navigating stop lights etc. I’ve driven my Model 3 for over 40,000 miles and use autopilot every day on the highway to and from work. Never had something like brakes slam on at 65mph on highway for no reason. I just don’t think it is reasonable to expect that level of uncertainty at this point in the development of FSD.
Don't opt out. I would almost be willing to bet that the camera FPS changes caused havoc because they were interpreted at the wrong rate. Although we would never get this information confirmed. This is a system-wide change and would affect all aspects of the car, including safety. But it's also an easy fix. Just accept that we got a bad batch and that they learned from their mistakes.

Reactions: mswlogo and K5TRX
while I think we all understand it is a beta, it should never cause your emergency brakes to lock up at highways speeds nearly causing a fish tail. That is like saying, well you are using a beta on your phone...you should expect it to explode.

I have been so excited to get in the beta. As you suggested, I immediately opted out after yesterday. I seriously thought I was going to get in a fatal crash. 80mph and e-brake kicked in for no reason on a six lane highway. Fortunately the car behind me was far enough away and no one was next to me. I had to pull over to regain my composure. I was scared to finish my drive home.

I think you have a valid point in that we all had a different read on what “the worst thing at the worst time” really meant. I read it to be literally the worst thing, like steering me into oncoming traffic or turning on my wife’s seat heater in summer heat. I accepted, knowing that I was going to have probably a worse experience than production firmware. I also accepted knowing that I could opt out if it became too much and kudos to you for having the self control to actually do so.

• Funny
Reactions: K5TRX and helvio
while I think we all understand it is a beta, it should never cause your emergency brakes to lock up at highways speeds nearly causing a fish tail. That is like saying, well you are using a beta on your phone...you should expect it to explode.

I have been so excited to get in the beta. As you suggested, I immediately opted out after yesterday. I seriously thought I was going to get in a fatal crash. 80mph and e-brake kicked in for no reason on a six lane highway. Fortunately the car behind me was far enough away and no one was next to me. I had to pull over to regain my composure. I was scared to finish my drive home. Wasn't using AP either because I thought that was causing the FCW. Had 109 of them in a 25 minute drive.
Did they remove you from beta after you sent the email request or have you heard anything back?

Drove to work and was able to use 10.3 Beta most of the way. Hate to sound like a couple of the YouTube fanboy testers but it seems much improved over 10.2.

10.3 bugs was a disaster, but it’s still amazing how much progress Tesla achieves every 2 weeks.

Hopefully they learn from 10.3 and ensure these major issues don’t happen again.

I appreciate your response. I completely understand that this is a beta so my expectations were primarily going to be around testing the city driving aspect including the car making turns and navigating stop lights etc. I’ve driven my Model 3 for over 40,000 miles and use autopilot every day on the highway to and from work. Never had something like brakes slam on at 65mph on highway for no reason. I just don’t think it is reasonable to expect that level of uncertainty at this point in the development of FSD.

Maybe, based on your feedback here, the answer is that Tesla should do a better job training and managing expectations for their beta test volunteers. I’m starting to think this could really help.

everyone in here arguing about getting it and being bad or good and im just over here like:
ezgif-4-6cab2c772c9f.gif

• Funny
Reactions: GWord
I’m trying to understand your perspective. Perhaps you haven’t ever had any software development experience or prototype/product testing experience. I will say that as far as product testing goes, this current experience is par for the course. What makes it somewhat unique is that the beta testing and validation is opened to outsiders, although there is some precedent in the video game industry. Given that your expectations seem to be aligned around receiving a finished product, you may want to exit the program and wait for public release. Make no mistake, FSD beta is going to be real work for the testers here, and keep in mind, other companies typically pay a workforce to do what we are all volunteering to do here.
I think the key thing a lot of people are missing saying this is par for the course is. These changes didn’t affect just FSD, autopilot, etc. Having FSD and autopilot disabled cars were slamming on brakes, throwing ghost alerts about impending collisions, and taking random swerves almost into cars. They messed up and rushed something out without proper testing/validation. In your analogy, when you beta test call of duty would you think it makes sense for your PS5 to light itself on fire and jump out the window? No you’d expect if you closed call of duty everything would behave normally. On top of that in their panic it appears that they were sending out mass turn on turn off safety features like FCW and AEB without telling anyone. They need to do better.

Did they remove you from beta after you sent the email request or have you heard anything back?

When I got home, the "downgraded" software was available so I downloaded it right away. I was not in the beta prior to 10.3, so the "button" was back and I did not press it. My FSD subscription ends in a few days, and I cancelled the subscription. I believe if you still have the beta, there is an option to opt out where the button would be.

I very much enjoy the auto lane change that the current FSD subscription offers, but not at $199/month. I was going to continue the subscription because the early access beta added city streets, but decided to just stick with regular AP for now.

Reactions: Melektrana
Sure, it was an unexpected problem. I accept this as part of my agreement to be a beta-tested of FSD, which should be fun ... and it was fun for a couple hours when it worked. Luckily, I have more cars in my disposal when I need to go to work or elsewhere. I think it would be a good advice to anyone who has Tesla as the only car to think twice before enrolling into a beta-testing program.

Reactions: Thp3
I think the key thing a lot of people are missing saying this is par for the course is. These changes didn’t affect just FSD, autopilot, etc. Having FSD and autopilot disabled cars were slamming on brakes, throwing ghost alerts about impending collisions, and taking random swerves almost into cars. They messed up and rushed something out without proper testing/validation. In your analogy, when you beta test call of duty would you think it makes sense for your PS5 to light itself on fire and jump out the window? No you’d expect if you closed call of duty everything would behave normally. On top of that in their panic it appears that they were sending out mass turn on turn off safety features like FCW and AEB without telling anyone. They need to do better.

Well, hard to do a real apples to apples with game software, to be sure. I will say I was part of the beta campaign for an old Blizzard game once; Diablo I think it was. One beta version irreparably corrupted my windows build and I had to completely reinstall my whole OS. Unintended consequences and all that. But I’m a sucker for punishment and I stayed in the program. Beta programs thrive on jamokes like me.

• Funny
Reactions: dogmodes
Well, hard to do a real apples to apples with game software, to be sure. I will say I was part of the beta campaign for an old Blizzard game once; Diablo I think it was. One beta version irreparably corrupted my windows build and I had to completely reinstall my whole OS. Unintended consequences and all that. But I’m a sucker for punishment and I stayed in the program. Beta programs thrive on jamokes like me.

I know it sounds naive given it's a beta software, but I just didn't expect that level on danger. I mean it is a moving vehicle after all, but in all of the videos and feedback I have seen/read about this is totally new. Tesla definitely rushed this software to appeal to a wider audience and that is the scariest part. I am thankful they quickly handled the issue.

Don't opt out. I would almost be willing to bet that the camera FPS changes caused havoc because they were interpreted at the wrong rate. Although we would never get this information confirmed. This is a system-wide change and would affect all aspects of the car, including safety. But it's also an easy fix. Just accept that we got a bad batch and that they learned from their mistakes.
It sounds plausible at first glance. However, the errors didn't start immediately for most of us. This may indicate that Tesla has awaken an AI that took over our cars and didn't allow Tesla to kill it by running updates.
Terminator-3-Rise-Machines.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: GWord
Just got this:

We will be pushing FSD Beta Version 10.3.1 to your vehicle shortly!

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving Beta is enabled, your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take action at any time.

As part of receiving FSD Beta, your vehicle will collect and share VIN-associated vehicle driving data with Tesla to confirm your continued eligibility for FSD Beta feature. If you wish to be removed from the limited early access FSD Beta please email [email protected]

Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision! Note that Tesla Vision also includes some temporary limitations, as noted below:

• Follow distance is limited to 2-7.
  • Autopilot top speed is 80 mph.
How to provide feedback:

• Press the "Video Record" button (
    image001.png
    ) on the top bar UI to share your feedback. When pressed, your vehicle’s external cameras will share a short VIN-associated Autopilot Snapshot with the Tesla engineering team to help make improvements to FSD. You will not be able to view the clip.
  • You can email your feedback to [email protected]. In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.

Thanks,

The Tesla Team

I know it sounds naive given it's a beta software, but I just didn't expect that level on danger. I mean it is a moving vehicle after all, but in all of the videos and feedback I have seen/read about this is totally new. Tesla definitely rushed this software to appeal to a wider audience and that is the scariest part. I am thankful they quickly handled the issue.

I agree with you here. There should have been better expectation management and some sort of minimal training. I think this would help them make a better case to the NHTSA too.

Reactions: Dan D.
Another thing that bugs me about all of this.

Remember that video they made showing the car driving by itself without a problem? Was that even real? I mean that was like 1 or 2 years ago and was made to look much better than what is currently being released.

I don’t get it.
Making something follow a set path with limited variables is a lot easier than making AI. It is probably real, but it probably would not work on anything except that specific path.

Just got this:

We will be pushing FSD Beta Version 10.3.1 to your vehicle shortly!

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving Beta is enabled, your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take action at any time.

As part of receiving FSD Beta, your vehicle will collect and share VIN-associated vehicle driving data with Tesla to confirm your continued eligibility for FSD Beta feature. If you wish to be removed from the limited early access FSD Beta please email [email protected]

Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision! Note that Tesla Vision also includes some temporary limitations, as noted below:

• Follow distance is limited to 2-7.
  • Autopilot top speed is 80 mph.
How to provide feedback:

• Press the "Video Record" button (
    image001.png
    ) on the top bar UI to share your feedback. When pressed, your vehicle’s external cameras will share a short VIN-associated Autopilot Snapshot with the Tesla engineering team to help make improvements to FSD. You will not be able to view the clip.
  • You can email your feedback to [email protected]. In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.

Thanks,

The Tesla Team
Were you part of the 100 or 99?