Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.3.1 rolling out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One simply cannot deliver some new functionality as beta that totally interferes creating very unsafe scenarios EVEN WITH THE NEW FUNCTIONALITY TURNED OFF (or to that point, even autosteer and everything underneath it).

Extremely bad QA and regression testing on their part.

Just turning off FCW and/or AEB avoids the issue (that's the way to truly turn it off) - That said, too much reliance on automated testing I think. They should have done this in rings. I'd think if they gave to the "zero ring" of a few employees and long-time testers for a couple days, they would have found this.

Also, no one can predict/affect the severity of a bug/regression during beta testing. The best solution would be humans testing at least some before rolling out to the entire beta community. Not sure if they did that and/or if areas that were already being heavily beta tested have less issues due to the fact so much testing has occurred there already, making the issue less likely in those locations - no idea, total guessing on my part.

Screenshot_20211025-112804_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: K5TRX
Confirmed - yesterday's hilariously bad safety score didn't affect my beta eligibility. My car is currently installing .3 now after rolling back to .1 yesterday.
Likewise. They must have sent it to everyone that had 10.3 at 99+. I downgraded and just got it pushed after dropping to 96 on 10.3. My understanding is that the safety score goes away once you are on the beta.

Reactions: K5TRX
I’m downloading the patch now after experiencing the scary and dangerous FCWs. I just have to say that I definitely would not be a dev at Tesla now. The software engineering process seems to be completely broken and some higher up needs to be fired for such a dangerous, potentially deadly (literally) bug. I hope it’s not some poor low level engineer who takes the fall when it’s a failure of the QA pipeline more than anything else, because a working dev deployment process would not have allowed such a defect to make it through. But I bet it will be if my previous experience is a guide.

Maybe we will see all of this as part of the bumpy road to progress, but please don’t let it cost actual lives like the space program sometimes did.

Reactions: Melektrana