Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.3.1 rolling out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to refresh your recollection, the post that started this all was the 2nd post in this thread where @tskguy said .....

In the next post (#3) in this thread), @Ramphex said

It was in response to this 3rd post that you said (in post #28)

So the issue of discussion pertained to whether someone on 10.3, who had their safety score knocked down to 98 because of 10.3, would still get 10.3.1. The discussion had nothing to do with people getting booted off of 10.3 because of low safety scores or lots of FCWs. (And, for whatever its worth, I haven't seen it stated anywhere - whether on this forum or a statement from Elon/Telsa - that specifically says that people were kicked out of 10.3 because of all the low FCWs recorded in their history. Actually, I haven't even heard of anyone getting kicked out of beta - although I have seen warning emails.)

Why am I detailing all of this for what is now a moot point? Because in post #39, you said

and because we did bet a toy plaid that I'm sure my son would enjoy. :)
You just proved my point.

If they stated they have a “score” of X they got kicked off of Beta. If that score is below 99 they won’t get 10.3.1 automatically. Which is what you are claiming.

There is no such thing as being on 10.3 and having a score.

See threads like this.

Will Tesla honor safety score before 10.3 mishap?

Last edited:
You just proved my point.

If they stated they have a “score” of X they got kicked off of Beta. If that score is below 99 they won’t get 10.3.1 automatically. Which is what you are claiming.

There is no such thing as being on 10.3 and having a score.

See threads like this.

Will Tesla honor safety score before 10.3 mishap?
FYI... I noticed on TeslaFi that 920 got 2021.36.5.3 yesterday (10/25) which was about the same that was on 2021.36.5.2 the day before. Seems like most people on 10.3 got 10.3.1 on TeslaFi.

FYI... I noticed on TeslaFi that 920 got 2021.36.5.3 yesterday (10/25) which was about the same that was on 2021.36.5.2 the day before. Seems like most people on 10.3 got 10.3.1 on TeslaFi.
!1k on Teslafi probably means 5k or so non-employee total FSD Beta testers at this point. Thats a sizeable number. Tesla may not expand for a while - esp. if people are allowed to rest their score and run up a 100/99 in a couple of days driving and get the beta. This way anyone determined to get the beta can get it - and will be a slow trickle.

Is anyone else having a super poor experience with 10.3.1?

I've been watching YouTube videos for MONTHS on the beta so I had an idea of what to expect. I finally got into the beta program on this release and it's been such a poor experience. Things that I've seen it do on YouTube videos perfectly fine (in previous versions that I never got to drive) are completely bombing out for me. Things such as blowing red lights that were completely visible and the car had plenty of time to react, making turns without creeping/looking properly, almost running into garbage cans, wandering in it's own lane while going straight, jumping into turning lanes for no reason, etc. The list goes on. I'm disengaging consistently. I think the longest I've made it without having to disengage is probably 30-45 seconds. I know the merges into traffic can be hit or miss, but I wasn't expecting it to be so poor at everything else that I've seen it do SO WELL in the previous versions.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to make sure this was documented somewhere for others to see in case any new beta testers are experiencing a similar experience.

I've been watching YouTube videos for MONTHS on the beta so I had an idea of what to expect. I finally got into the beta program on this release and it's been such a poor experience. Things that I've seen it do on YouTube videos perfectly fine (in previous versions that I never got to drive) are completely bombing out for me. Things such as blowing red lights that were completely visible and the car had plenty of time to react, making turns without creeping/looking properly, almost running into garbage cans, wandering in it's own lane while going straight, jumping into turning lanes for no reason, etc. The list goes on. I'm disengaging consistently. I think the longest I've made it without having to disengage is probably 30-45 seconds. I know the merges into traffic can be hit or miss, but I wasn't expecting it to be so poor at everything else that I've seen it do SO WELL in the previous versions.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to make sure this was documented somewhere for others to see in case any new beta testers are experiencing a similar experience.
My experience with 10.3.1 has been quite good. Took a spin last night and had a few disengagements in situations that even a human would find troubling, but otherwise it's done very well. Amazing how good this thing is. It's quite clear that robo taxis are a question of when, not if.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

We took the Plaid S out for several drives on 10.3 on Sunday and were amazed at how well it did. We did the same 10+ minute route on Chill, Average and Assertive and only had to disengage once when some oncoming motorcyclists came over a blind hill right as the car was about to turn left. Other than that, the car drove almost perfectly doing left and right turns, lane changes, traffic circles, stop lights, stop signs, tight curves, etc. It was a little hesitant in spots when on the Chill profile. Admittedly, there wasn't a lot of traffic on those drives. We installed 10.3.1 yesterday and will be doing more tests this week.

My experience with 10.3.1 has been quite good. Took a spin last night and had a few disengagements in situations that even a human would find troubling, but otherwise it's done very well. Amazing how good this thing is. It's quite clear that robo taxis are a question of when, not if.
Yeah, I just don't get how people are having such widely different experiences. I know not everyone's road markings are the same, etc. But I'm really not at all confident letting it go most of the time. In my experience, it seems to do the wrong thing WAY more often then doing the right thing. I haven't seen that happen for most people since the 10.X release. Is it possible for something to be corrupted during the install that causes it to go haywire and need a more deep reset, etc?

Reactions: Dan D.
Yeah, I just don't get how people are having such widely different experiences. I know not everyone's road markings are the same, etc. But I'm really not at all confident letting it go most of the time. In my experience, it seems to do the wrong thing WAY more often then doing the right thing. I haven't seen that happen for most people since the 10.X release. Is it possible for something to be corrupted during the install that causes it to go haywire and need a more deep reset, etc?
You can try to recalibrate your cameras.

But most likely your expectations are different from others. Were you using AP on the city streets before FSD Beta. Except for turns - it feels about the same.

I had production FSD before and frequently let it go without any disengagements. It never felt like it was going to miss a red light or stop sign.

So yes, this is my first time personally with Beta so I'm sure that might be part of it. I just have been GLUED to watching the popular YouTube guys sharing their experiences over the past few months so I thought I had a pretty good grasp of what to expect. Clearly I was wrong, or something is wrong with my car lol.

So yes, this is my first time personally with Beta so I'm sure that might be part of it. I just have been GLUED to watching the popular YouTube guys sharing their experiences over the past few months so I thought I had a pretty good grasp of what to expect. Clearly I was wrong, or something is wrong with my car lol.
Yes - the youtube videos give the wrong idea. FSD Beta is a lot more clumsy than production Autopilot (not FSD, as you misstate). You can't let "go" - which BTW, you shouldn't do on AP as well.

My experience has been fairly positive on 10.3.1. It's a bit tight to the curb on some turns, flashes the brights more often than I would and love to clean the windshield quite a bit, but those aren't that bad. What isn't as good IMO is the unprotected left turns. It almost took out an oncoming car this morning before correcting itself towards the sidewalk in the split second before I took over. But honestly, other than that, it's been fine to me.

Yes - the youtube videos give the wrong idea. FSD Beta is a lot more clumsy than production Autopilot (not FSD, as you misstate). You can't let "go" - which BTW, you shouldn't do on AP as well.
Appreciate your input. Yes, I meant production Autopilot.

I just don't see how some of these guys can go on zero intervention drives. It gives the impression that it can do it without making you crap your pants. I'm literally white knuckle driving whenever FSD is enabled. While production level AP is not doing anything near as complex, you can be pretty confident that it's not going to run a red light lol.

Appreciate your input. Yes, I meant production Autopilot.

I just don't see how some of these guys can go on zero intervention drives. It gives the impression that it can do it without making you crap your pants. I'm literally white knuckle driving whenever FSD is enabled. While production level AP is not doing anything near as complex, you can be pretty confident that it's not going to run a red light lol.
Yes - it takes some getting used to.

I'm now using fsd beta only in simple routes with little traffic. Once I gain confidence and they go through a few more releases, then may be in tighter traffic. I'm definitely not trying unprotected turns in busy traffic anytime soon.

Reactions: THXULTRA
You might be right. Maybe not that many got hosed either. I have not seen any posts that say they truly were booted off, got a low score and automatically put back on yet. There might be and I missed it. Lots of posts that said they lost being able to enable AP and now can. Not sure if any folks that were on 10.3 for first time actually got downgraded to 10.2 either.

Also I noticed that there was around 900 on 10.2 before this whole 10.3 thing happened. I would expect it to be well above 1000 with or without the ones that got booted by now.

Yes:
Based on YouTube videos and comments here, I think this is par for the course; it's just that some people see the glass as half full ("it's amazing technology" -- which it is) and others see it as half empty ("it could kill somebody" -- which it could). Both views are correct. As evidence, see the videos by YouTuber Tesla Joy. She's posted two videos that show she's had to disengage FSD multiple times per drive because it was doing something wrong, but she raves about how great it was. Indeed, compared to any other production car's autonomy features, it is amazing; but it's nowhere near what Tesla's name for it ("full self-driving") implies. Hence the expansion for the acronym I used in my above-referenced post: flaky student driver.

Although my take on it is closer to the glass-half-empty perspective, I also acknowledge the glass-half-full aspects of it. Flawed though it is, the technology is very impressive and holds a lot of promise. My biggest concern is that some beta testers (and those of us with this feature ARE BETA TESTERS) will do irresponsible things that will cause property damage, injury, or even loss of life. That's why I've tried to tamp down peoples' enthusiasm to get into the beta program. Yes, it's a cool new technology; but at this stage in its development, it is not a reward to get it -- it's an added responsibility. It's harder to drive with the software as it exists now, because it might suddenly try to shift lanes, stop short, etc., requiring either immediate disengagement or a very quick check of something you wouldn't normally be checking (like to see that a lane is clear before the car can move into it). It takes more attention to drive with this feature active than to drive manually. I often listen to podcasts while driving, but I find that doing so with FSD active is bad because I lack the attention to devote to both the podcast and driving.

I hope that Tesla's FSD will, in time, be a truly useful -- even revolutionary -- feature; but right now, beta testers are accepting an added burden.

It is not working well for me too. It drives the car in the middle of a wide unmarked road; turns are 100% unpredictable and 90% bad enough to require immediate disengagement; tries to go 40 mpg in residential zone; missed a turn; happily goes on yellow light so much so that it is a solidly red by the time of crossing the intersection; etc., etc. It reminds me a Lego Mindstorm robot with acoustic sensor coded by a group of undergraduate students.

I found one really positive thing of FSD. Finally, I can now "see" vehicles on my sides when driving on highway, but this has nothing to do with full-SELF-driving.