Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.3.1 rolling out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right on! For me, so far 10.3.1 has been a combination of a roller coaster ride and sitting in the passenger seat while my teenage daughter learned to drive … and I absolutely love it. IMHO, those of us gifted with the opportunity to help advance this amazing technology need to do all we can to further the cause.

You sir, are a unique breed. That is the complete opposite of what I want in a driving experience. As others have suggested, I find it far more stressful that just driving myself. While AP actually reduces the stress of driving the FSD beta is a complete 180. Never been on such high alert or stressed. It's worse than riding with my wife into the city.

As of now it ONLY reads and sees standard Speed Limit signs. Likely going to be a little while and Tesla will start adding some signs along and along. Probably No Turn On Red and/or special Speed Limit signs will be next. Others that need to be added first are Road Closed.
Yeah. I don’t think it reads those yellow speed signs on curves or highway ramps very well either.

You sir, are a unique breed. That is the complete opposite of what I want in a driving experience. As others have suggested, I find it far more stressful that just driving myself. While AP actually reduces the stress of driving the FSD beta is a complete 180. Never been on such high alert or stressed. It's worse than riding with my wife into the city.
That's exactly what the Beta is, you're running unfinished software. I think his analogy makes perfect sense - except for the fact that I don't have a daughter. The car knows how to drive, just not acceptably. And we are the instructors, correcting it whenever needed. I, too, am having a lot of fun with the process. And I also agree with you that it's more stressful than driving "Solo". You're sharing the wheel, on and off, live. You're basically driving for 2 at once. It's more than for just one!

Aside from the dangerous or just wrong things my car does that makes me disengage FSD, one annoying thing that happens quite often is that I'll be driving on a super straight state highway (not the interstate, so it is using FSD and not EAP), it will randomly slowdown. No hills, no turns, no oncoming traffic, just long, straight, flat roads on a sunny day, and it just hits the brakes for no reason very often. This isn't like the old phantom braking on the interstate where it slams on the brakes, this is a new issue where it may be driving at 63 and it slows down to 58 for no reason, then speeds back up to 63. It may do this 4 or 5 times in a mile stretch. I'm sure the people behind me are like why the * is this guy braking over and over again for no reason.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Also, FSD slows down WAY TO SLOWLY. I live out in the country, and as I drive on state highways or county roads that are 55mph and then I come into a little town and the speed limit drops to 35 or even 25mph, it takes the car a mile or more to slow from 55mph to 35mph. This is completely unacceptable and dangerous and I always have to disengage to be able to slow the car down. I've tried using the roller wheel to set the max speed to 35mph well in advance of the actual 35mph speed limit sign, but it still takes over a mile for it to drop 20mph.

That's exactly what the Beta is, you're running unfinished software. I think his analogy makes perfect sense - except for the fact that I don't have a daughter. The car knows how to drive, just not acceptably. And we are the instructors, correcting it whenever needed. I, too, am having a lot of fun with the process. And I also agree with you that it's more stressful than driving "Solo". You're sharing the wheel, on and off, live. You're basically driving for 2 at once. It's more than for just one!
This is the way AI "learns". The more feedback we can send back to Tesla, the faster the software will improve. I agree - it's stressful as hell making sure the car doesn't do something potentially unsafe. However, I signed up for this when I paid for FSD a long time ago, and I have been an active participant, providing feedback all along the way (including in the initial autopilot early adopter releases).

Aside from the dangerous or just wrong things my car does that makes me disengage FSD, one annoying thing that happens quite often is that I'll be driving on a super straight state highway (not the interstate, so it is using FSD and not EAP), it will randomly slowdown. No hills, no turns, no oncoming traffic, just long, straight, flat roads on a sunny day, and it just hits the brakes for no reason very often. This isn't like the old phantom braking on the interstate where it slams on the brakes, this is a new issue where it may be driving at 63 and it slows down to 58 for no reason, then speeds back up to 63. It may do this 4 or 5 times in a mile stretch. I'm sure the people behind me are like why the * is this guy braking over and over again for no reason.

There's one stretch of Route 99 northbound in Rhode Island that's like this. The speed limit is 55 mph, but people routinely drive 10 mph over that. If I'm even 1 mph over 55, then when the car hits this certain point, it resets and slows to 55, even though the speed limit hasn't changed. I don't recall there being a speed-limit sign at that point, but I might be mistaken. My best guess is that it's updating its speed-limit data (via GPS mapping data or a road sign that I'm forgetting) at that point and resetting because of that, but that's only a guess.

There's one stretch of Route 99 northbound in Rhode Island that's like this. The speed limit is 55 mph, but people routinely drive 10 mph over that. If I'm even 1 mph over 55, then when the car hits this certain point, it resets and slows to 55, even though the speed limit hasn't changed. I don't recall there being a speed-limit sign at that point, but I might be mistaken. My best guess is that it's updating its speed-limit data (via GPS mapping data or a road sign that I'm forgetting) at that point and resetting because of that, but that's only a guess.
I'd agree because I've experienced similar behavior. The target speed limit seems to be determined by using a mix of mapping data and vision (reading speed limit signs). An example I gave for 10.2 was an intersection of a state highway (55 mph posted) and a residential street where the speed limit sign (30 mph) was located about 50 feet from the intersection. With 10.2, the car would slow to make the turn onto the side street, then rapidly accelerate and only slow down to 30 mph when it passed the speed limit sign.

However with 10.3.1, the car would turn and FSD would show 25 mph until passing the speed limit sign. It would then speed up to 30 mph.

I seems that if a residential street node has no mapped speed limit tag and there is no speed limit sign, then 25 mph is used by FSD.

Apparently you didn't take the "limited early access beta" part seriously.

If you want stree-free driving, FSD Beta, is not for you. Its only for people who want to live on the bleeding edge.

My top 3 observations.

1.) Really impressed with how well it handles right of way at 4 way stops.
2.) Really handling lights changing well also. Especially impressed with how it has done with yellow lights.
3.) Surprised how many times it doesn't get to the right turn lane to make a right turn and wants to switch lanes late (when no other cars were around I tested this and it was really late)

Looking forward to doing more testing and exciting that it can do every thing that it can.

Reactions: dcesq06
Apparently you didn't take the "limited early access beta" part seriously.

If you want stree-free driving, FSD Beta, is not for you. Its only for people who want to live on the bleeding edge.
As much as I agree, Tesla (and tech in general) have started labeling every-day things as Beta. We are getting a bit of a "Beta Fatigue" where everything we use is "Early Access" or "Beta".

Lots of people see getting this beta as getting their money's worth for their FSD purchase which is obviously not what this is. This is software is truly "beta", it is NOT complete and if you are looking for a complete product I would suggest opting out of this beta.

Reactions: EVNow

Also, FSD slows down WAY TO SLOWLY. I live out in the country, and as I drive on state highways or county roads that are 55mph and then I come into a little town and the speed limit drops to 35 or even 25mph, it takes the car a mile or more to slow from 55mph to 35mph. This is completely unacceptable and dangerous and I always have to disengage to be able to slow the car down. I've tried using the roller wheel to set the max speed to 35mph well in advance of the actual 35mph speed limit sign, but it still takes over a mile for it to drop 20mph.
Ditto for me. IMO, anytime FSD decides on a significant speed change, a discrete explanation somewhere on the display should appear. It would help us help them, for when these random speed changes happen in the absence of lights, traffic, curves in the road or posted speed limit changes.

And totally agree with the discomfort of being the guy behind the wheel while my car does odd, and even stupid $hit. But I’m committed to gathering data and will keep it in FSD even through the cringe worthy times. For me, there have only been a handful of mandatory bail-outs for the safety of others so far.

Tesla should issue each of us one of those student driver placards of shame, but with “Danger! FSD Beta Tester With Giant Balls”

As much as I agree, Tesla (and tech in general) have started labeling every-day things as Beta. We are getting a bit of a "Beta Fatigue" where everything we use is "Early Access" or "Beta".

Lots of people see getting this beta as getting their money's worth for their FSD purchase which is obviously not what this is. This is software is truly "beta", it is NOT complete and if you are looking for a complete product I would suggest opting out of this beta.
I think the fact they use Beta may not be the best use of the word as many people may not fully understand what that mean. If you tell my wife that the software is Beta she would have no idea what that means, she's not into software and not into tech stuff really.

Tesla really should make it more clear that this is developmental test software and by opting in, you are agreeing to be a tester of the software. Its like a clinical trail type thing you see commercials for...this a clinical trial to help Tesla improve FSD.

Having said that, I 100% agree with the poster above who said they love it...but that's because they understand what it is. For people saying they are more stressed when using FSD than without, it seems they may not understand...or at least not like...what this is. Is not self driving relax software...when you use FSD Beta, you are literally holding an experiment, its like you're in a lab...that means super focused, super attentive. I just got FSD Beta downloaded today and am out of town until Sunday so can't use it yet, but I don't really see myself using it with anyone else in the car (except maybe to just show it off for a moment). I see using it when Im ready to do some testing and am in that mindset.

Tesla really should make it more clear that this is developmental test software and by opting in, you are agreeing to be a tester of the software. Its like a clinical trail type thing you see commercials for...this a clinical trial to help Tesla improve FSD.
It’s basically a science/research project. Clinical trial is a good analogy.

Unlike most development software, this may never come out of beta / may never succeed.

Reactions: Ramphex
Elon promised 10.4 for next Friday, aka 8 days from now. I believe the Live Sentry Mode will be available then.
Good point ... even though we don't know that. And I yet to install the external speaker on my M3. Too late for the Halloween, but will be on time for Christmas.

On the other topic, the FSD is pretty much useless for me, but the only improvement I found in 2021.36.5.3 is that I can now see cars behind me and next to me on highway.

Elon promised 10.4 for next Friday, aka 8 days from now. I believe the Live Sentry Mode will be available then.

It looks like Tesla will be staging beta version rollouts in the future, so I'm thinking we ("external beta" testers) may not get the next beta until a week after next Friday. I guess they don't want to have to pull a version from the whole fleet again like earlier this week. While I'd like to get improvements as soon as possible, I'd rather have whatever the current beta for my release group than no beta.