TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

10-30 Adapter Sold Out

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by jdcollins5, Sep 4, 2018.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

i just went to purchase a 10-30 adapter from the Tesla shop and received the message they are sold out. Any idea how long it takes to re-stock?

2. efraimbart

efraimbart Member

I've contacted Tesla support and they said it's been discontinued. I just paid $600 to have the outlet installed and now don't know what I'm going to do.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Man, seriously. Maybe I will have to try eBay or Amazon.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

I just checked eBay and Amazon and do not see anything. Does anyone know of another source?

This is disappointing. It was available when I first checked. Now that I have ordered my car they are no longer available. Bummer!

5. efraimbart

efraimbart Member

Can't seem to find any proper ones on ebay or amazon but someone just pointed me to evseadapters which has them available at a slightly steeper price. Just don't buy them all out, I still need to get one.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. efraimbart

efraimbart Member

May be worth your while to try Tesla support as well just to be sure.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Will do.

8. heems

heems Member

I am in the same boat. These are the options I found so far

1) evse adaptor as noted above - $50 vs $35 from tesla. But seems equivalent.
    2) buy a 10-30 to 14-50 dongle (lots on amazon) and use the free 14-50 adaptor. This may be dangerous as you need to set the charge in the car to 24a. Otherwise it will try to pull more and blow fuses,etc.

Am hopeful the adaptor from tesla is just sold out. Otherwise #1 is the way to go imho unless you can spring for a hpwc.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Really? That's shocking. Very glad I got mine in last week. I can understand wanting to move to outlets with a neutral but the majority of US homes still have a dryer outlet with a 10-30 and that provides an easy way to charge while visiting friends etc.

Call the electrician that did the work and ask him about changing it out. I don't know the code, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run a separate neutral wire using another conduit to the outlet box. Technically that would work and avoid the majority of the actual work on the electrician's part.

• Like x 1
  10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

I agree. The 10-30 outlet is still a very common dryer outlet.

11. efraimbart

efraimbart Member

Thanks, I talked to the electrician and it seems they would have to charge me to crawl under the house again and redo the wiring...

• Like x 1
  12. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Why did you pay someone to install something other than a 14-50????

• Like x 4
  13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was up to code to install a new 10-30 outlet anymore. The option that is up to code would be to get a 14-30 installed. So it shouldn't pass inspection and the electrician should fix it.

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Have you contacted your local Service Center to see if they have any in-stock or can get one from another SC for you?

15. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

I made the same mistake myself. I didn't see that the tesla required the extra neutral (it doesn't technically) so I just replicated my existing 240v circuit that supplies my dryer.

16. efraimbart

efraimbart Member

Don't have 50 amps available.

• Informative x 2
  17. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

You could make a 14-30 to 10-30 adapter as Tesla doesn't use the neutral wire in the UMC. maybe, lol

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. efraimbart

efraimbart Member

Yes, nothing.

19. efraimbart

efraimbart Member

Yup, same thing here.

20. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

That was discussed in another thread I read but that most thought it was a big code issue. The fear being the outlet being used for a device that required the neutral at some point.