Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.5 GPS Location Accuracy Affecting Phantom Braking/Slowing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
In 10.5, I've seen many GPS accuracy problems, ranging from my location shown being miles away from where I'm really at, to maybe 25-50 feet off.

This seems like a really "jerky" bug... I'll be driving along, and the location is correct, but then it'll jerk to being off a bit, then a few seconds later it's back to being right on, and occasionally it'll just really be off.

And then this happened...

I'm driving in an area where I've never experienced phantom braking/slowing. Ever. Then the car starts doing it's phantom slowing thing. No shadows on the road, no weird dark spots in the asphalt, just no reason for it. I glance at the display and notice that the car's location isn't updating smoothly; it's jerking around a bit. Not a gradual slowing of movement like you'd see from slowing the car down, but fairly rapid jumping of the car's location from place to place.

I re-drove this road three times, and only got the phantom braking during that one time when the GPS was having a moment.

I'm darn near convinced that 10.5 has a GPS location bug in it, and that it can be a source of phantom braking/slowing. I'm not saying it's the only cause by any means, but it looks like it might be a contributing factor for some phantom braking/slowing events.

Maybe something for guys to be on the look out for?

/soapbox
This is exactly the kind of stuff that Tesla should be sending out in weekly "to our beta testers" email blasts... "hey, we've had a report of this happening, any chance you guys could be on the lookout for it and send us clips when it happens?"

Yes, I know that Tesla can define certain triggers, but they can't for every potential scenario.

And how would they even know that this potential scenario exists in the first place without there being some other way to contact them? They've proven that the email address that was provided to early testers is pointless.
/soapbox

Looking at the Google Maps display dosn't tell you for sure if the car is having a GPS problem since the car doesn't use Google Maps. You have no way for sure to know if the car's GPS data matches the downloaded Navigation database since you can't see it. Could be a coincidence or could be the Navigation database is not reading correctly. I don't believe there is any way to know for sure.

Looking at the Google Maps display dosn't tell you for sure if the car is having a GPS problem since the car doesn't use Google Maps
Normally, the car's location updates smoothly on the display as you drive. What I'm describing is not smooth updating of the vehicle's location. Whether or not this is a valid determination of the car's precise location isn't really the point. The point is that the car's displayed location is jerking around in a non-normal manner.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Normally, the car's location updates smoothly on the display as you drive. What I'm describing is not smooth updating of the vehicle's location. Whether or not this is a valid determination of the car's precise location isn't really the point. The point is that the car's displayed location is jerking around in a non-normal manner.
No jerking for me - the location & the map tile changes are smooth.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
After experiencing phantom braking over and over with FSD 10.5 and 10.4, I finally just started using cruise control, and immediately had another severe phantom brake. Like many have described, no consistency to when it happens and usually nothing at all around that would seem to cause it. However, after it did it on cruise control, I reviewed all my settings and decided to shut off the forward collision warning option. Turned FSD back on, and ZERO phantom brakes since. Drove to NM last week and back from AZ and the FSD did extremely well and without the fear of phantom braking, the drive was much more relaxing.

Hope this helps some other drivers.