Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.6.1 crosses over yellow line onto oncoming traffic!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But do you put your child out onto the interstate and say "have at it" on day one? Answer is no. You let them drive around a parking lot until they know how to steer, brake, and accelerate...
Funny analogue since AP (FSD) "learned" how to drive and drives best on the Interstate and drives the most inconsistent in parking lots.:D

Also would you let your child just sit behind a double parked UPS truck for 10 minutes? This is an aggravating judgment thing that FSD needs to keep working on when it is appropriate and safe. Happened to me 2 times in a row yesterday but know and understand it is part of the learning process and will only (hopefully) improve with each update.

Also would you let your child just sit behind a double parked UPS truck for 10 minutes?
I have yet to have the car stuck behind a double-parked vehicle while in FSD mode - for me it's all been cars legitimately stopped waiting to either 1) make a left-hand turn or 2) go through an intersection. But what I would want my inexperienced child to do, and I guess I want FSD to do as well, is stop and then seek counsel from the experienced and competent driver in the vehicle before crossing the double-yellow line into oncoming traffic!

BTW, I am currently teaching my 15-year old to drive in my M3 (after a couple of months he's already a WAY BETTER driver than FSD Beta after 14 months), so it's convenient to have the "Please Be Patient - Student Driver" magnets on the back for both him and driving on FSD.

I have yet to have the car stuck behind a double-parked vehicle while in FSD mode - for me it's all been cars legitimately stopped waiting to either 1) make a left-hand turn or 2) go through an intersection. But what I would want my inexperienced child to do, and I guess I want FSD to do as well, is stop and then seek counsel from the experienced and competent driver in the vehicle before crossing the double-yellow line into oncoming traffic!

BTW, I am currently teaching my 15-year old to drive in my M3 (after a couple of months he's already a WAY BETTER driver than FSD Beta after 14 months), so it's convenient to have the "Please Be Patient - Student Driver" magnets on the back for both him and driving on FSD.
Agree, car should atleast ask for a confirmation before crossing yellow line, similar to how they did with traffic lights initially

Here in Boston/NE area, I see humans making unsafe passes all the time. Yesterday, a garbage truck was stopped on the other side of the 2 lane road I was on. 3 cars were waiting behind the truck. First car, with no visibility because he was stopped too close to the back of the garbage truck, decided to pass. There was a person in front of me who had to slam on their brakes, giving the sh*tty driver the right of way. As they passed me, I honked at them and gave them a WTF look, since I didn't feel the person in front of me reacted harshly enough as to be a somewhat future deterrent.

I've also been the one stuck first behind a garbage truck with FSD engaged. Car slowed but never stopped, then proceeded to pass. But an oncoming vehicle was there. It was tight, and I probably would have earned a middle finger salute, but at the same time, this level of assholery is fairly accepted. Person 1 does an asshole thing; person 2 yells within the confine of their car and employs the finger, and then 10 seconds later, all is forgotten by both sides.

I however, not wanting to piss off other drivers unnecessarily, I applied the brakes as i noticed that FSD was going to attempt a pass. Constant vigilance.

I have yet to have the car stuck behind a double-parked vehicle while in FSD mode - for me it's all been cars legitimately stopped waiting to either 1) make a left-hand turn or 2) go through an intersection. But what I would want my inexperienced child to do, and I guess I want FSD to do as well, is stop and then seek counsel from the experienced and competent driver in the vehicle before crossing the double-yellow line into oncoming traffic!....
Damn if Karma didn't bit me in the ass this morning. :oops:🤣 Was following 2 cars through a turn and there was a moving truck double parked and both cars went around. Wouldn't you know it but FSD pulls up behind and the cars behind me start going around trapping me. Then only a couple of hundred feet up on 14th coming to a red light crossing Peachtree there was a truck parked in the right line with flashers on and I'll be damned if FSD didn't pull up behind it and stop. Had to take over and get around before traffic trapped me agin.

But do you put your child out onto the interstate and say "have at it" on day one? Answer is no. You let them drive around a parking lot until they know how to steer, brake, and accelerate. Then they drive short backroad routes with limited traffic until they can stay in their lane and negotiate simple intersections. Then more expansive routes with more traffic and stoplights and weird intersections. And so on. I would expect Tesla to train FSD in a similar fashion. Why put this "feature" into the feature set (whether it's a classifier in a NN, procedural code, or more likely a combination of the two) before you have nailed the more basic capabilities. As I said previously, it's running before you can walk.

The car does know how steer, break, and accelerate, stay in lane, obey traffic laws, etc. In fact, FSD would probably work fine if every single car is autonomous and strictly obey the letter of the law. The problem with FSD, and to an extent released AP is the human interaction element. If a car turn on its blinkers and want to enter your lane it doesn't mean anything to FSD Beta because there isn't laws about requiring you to let someone into your lane just because they turn on their blinkers. If some pedestrian is walking on the edge of a narrow 2-lane road, when is it ok to go over a double yellow to give the pedestrian more room and when is it not? These situation requires real life experiences for proper judgement and new drivers w/out such experience will do relatively poorly compared to experience drivers. FSD Beta is an inexperience drivers that understand the rules of the road but doesn't have the experiences to know when it is ok to bend them that is necessary when sharing the road with human drivers.

When you teach a person to drive, you don't give them a class room lecture on it and then tell them to go solo and try it out either. You ride along and point things out to them so they'd learn. This is the exact phase that FSD beta is in. Tesla needs drivers out there using FSD Beta to gather real world examples of experiences so that it and teach the car how to make better decisions. If you are ok with someone with only a learners permit to drive with an experienced driver riding along to monitor, then it really isn't any more or less dangerous than having an alert and experienced driver using FSD Beta to monitor it while it is active. The disconnect here is how much Elon had inflated the capabilities of FSD Beta, and people expect a more competent self driving system than it really is.