Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.6.1 crosses over yellow line onto oncoming traffic!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a super scary moment today. I was on a two lane road, my m3 with 10.6.1 activated was following a van. Van slowed down due to traffic ahead and my car decided to go around it by crossing the yellow line and on to oncoming traffic. I of course was attentive and took over. What is super odd is that the car is aware of the yellow line but it still decides to cross it? I hope this is a wider problem so it’s recognized by Tesla and fixed. So am curious..has anyone else faced this ?

Reactions: X-pilot
It's called FULL Self Driving. :p

Have you ever crossed a double yellow to pass stopped vehicle? Well so does FSD, just not reliably because it's BETA.

There are plenty of examples of the behavior you describe. It's very difficult for a computer to determine why a car in front of you is stopped.

Reactions: mhan00
...I hope this is a wider problem so it’s recognized by Tesla and fixed. So am curious..?

It's a slippery slope to fix the system so we can all be law-abiding citizens.

If FSD is not allowed to cross the double yellow line to pass a car then what about all those stretches of 55 MPH limits on I-5 in Los Angeles/Orange County? The flow of traffic would not be 55 MPH ever unless due to congestion. It's more like 70 MPH traffic flow at least. And you want the FSD to be fixed to slow down to 55 MPH in a traffic flow of 70 MPH or higher?

Last edited:
Had a super scary moment today. I was on a two lane road, my m3 with 10.6.1 activated was following a van. Van slowed down due to traffic ahead and my car decided to go around it by crossing the yellow line and on to oncoming traffic. I of course was attentive and took over. What is super odd is that the car is aware of the yellow line but it still decides to cross it? I hope this is a wider problem so it’s recognized by Tesla and fixed. So am curious..has anyone else faced this ?
You have not seen this thread??

"FSD Beta Attempts to Kill Me; Causes Accident"

What is super odd is that the car is aware of the yellow line but it still decides to cross it? I hope this is a wider problem so it’s recognized by Tesla and fixed. So am curious..has anyone else faced this ?
Its a feature. Not a bug. You need to cross yellow lines to go around stopped vehicles. FSD is a bit too aggressive - and wants to go around school buses too.

You have to disengage and report.

ps : Or to go around a biker. Did it pretty well too today ..

vlcsnap-2021-12-13-18h22m37s744.png

I should have probably clarified. The car ahead of me wasn’t idling. We were both moving at 25 mph. It slowed down due to traffic ahead. My car didn’t wait around. It just immediately decided to go around it crossing the yellow line. I

I should have probably clarified. The car ahead of me wasn’t idling. We were both moving at 25 mph. It slowed down due to traffic ahead. My car didn’t wait around. It just immediately decided to go around it crossing the yellow line. I
Do you have Chill mode or Std or Aggressive ?

Anyway, its a bug that has been repeatedly mentioned here. Just that people don't start a new thread for it ... ;)

Reactions: clydeiii
I wrote about this in another thread today. I have had this same problem several times: a couple of times when a car was stopped waiting for oncoming traffic in the opposite lane in order to make a left turn, and a couple of times where multiple cars were lined up for a red light, but my car could not see the cars in front of the stopped car or the actual stop light. In each of these cases the car stopped, but then very quickly assessed the car in front was "parked" and it needed to cross the double-yellow line and go around, despite the fact that there was oncoming traffic in the opposite lane. This is not a feature - it's a serious bug! I sent a specific email with the dates and times to Tesla FSD beta team to point it out.

My 2 cents: we don't need this level of FSD to go around parked cars on two lane roads. If the car comes across another car it thinks is parked in the lane on a road with a double-yellow line, it should just sit and wait it out. If the driver wants to go around, they can disengage and do it. Why not figure out how to keep the car from constantly braking and accelerating for no reason or stay in its own lane when turning to the right on a curvy road before you teach the car to go around cars stopped in a two-lane road with a double yellow line? It makes no sense at all to me. There are plenty of things they haven't implemented yet, like recognizing and slowing down for school zones or making left-hand turns on a blinking orange arrow. And these are a lot less likely to get you killed than crossing the double-yellow line into oncoming traffic to go around a "parked" car.

Since it is still level 2, I would love if they just took that feature away made it so you had to approve the decision to pass a stopped vehicle. Like others, I've had the car try to so this over 10 times since beta began ok 10.1 and it has been wrong 100% of the time

Situations where car runs too close to the curb, stops too prematurely for stop sign, phantom brakes (and so on) needs tweaks in software that we all (optimistically) believe will improve over time, but crossing over the yellow line within milliseconds of the car ahead stopping in front of you is not the same. If they really want to introduce this feature, they need to check if the car has parking lights on + our car has waited for x secs + there is visible confirmation with x degree confidence there is no oncoming traffic + a confirmation from driver to cross the yellow line to get past the stopped/parked car

Did it to me as well. I was in a line going I to an UCLA game for parking..The car decided to cross yellow into oncoming traffic. I stop it before it crossed.

The problem with FSD is that the amount of aggression you need needs to be variable. When it comes to an intersection with a stop sign or when it’s accelerating from a green light it needs to be more aggressive. But when you set FSD to aggressive you want it to be way less aggressive with the speed base lane changes and over taking slow vehicles.

I wouldn’t call this a bug, it’s more like teaching a child with no real life experience how to drive. Sometimes it adhere to the laws too closely to the point where it behaves unexpectedly for other drivers and at other times it takes liberties with the rules too much and does crazy things like go over a double yellow into oncoming traffic to go around someone. Learning how to drive and interact with other motorist requires that life experience to tell you when you can and need to bend the rules a little and when you absolutely can’t. If level 5 autonomy is to exist along side human motorist it will also need to learn when it can and can’t bend the rules.

Reactions: clydeiii
I wouldn’t call this a bug, it’s more like teaching a child with no real life experience how to drive.
But do you put your child out onto the interstate and say "have at it" on day one? Answer is no. You let them drive around a parking lot until they know how to steer, brake, and accelerate. Then they drive short backroad routes with limited traffic until they can stay in their lane and negotiate simple intersections. Then more expansive routes with more traffic and stoplights and weird intersections. And so on. I would expect Tesla to train FSD in a similar fashion. Why put this "feature" into the feature set (whether it's a classifier in a NN, procedural code, or more likely a combination of the two) before you have nailed the more basic capabilities. As I said previously, it's running before you can walk.

Reactions: wtwieder and cp123