Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people experiencing with the driver monitoring false alerts? I got two bogus strikes with 10.5 so I've been extra cautious with 10.6.1. My experience so far is no false alerts during the day but on my drives at night, I still get them. At night, after the second false alert, I stop using FSD since I don't want to get booted from the program (10.6.1 did not reset my strikes).

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
What are people experiencing with the driver monitoring false alerts? I got two bogus strikes with 10.5 so I've been extra cautious with 10.6.1. My experience so far is no false alerts during the day but on my drives at night, I still get them. At night, after the second false alert, I stop using FSD since I don't want to get booted from the program (10.6.1 did not reset my strikes).
I've actually never had false alerts and curious to hear how it happens. Can you detail the circumstances where that happened to you? I've had FSD beta since 10.3.

I've even tried some of test things the AI/ML guys on twitter have looked at and it seems to have no issues as well. e.g. sun visor partially blocking the drivers face. It does seem to gauge the direction your face/head is tilted to see if you may be looking down. I believe it was Chuck Cook on youtube that said he was wearing a ball cap and tilted his head down to shade the direct sun when he got a warning to pay attention. So this seems to be the case since his eyes would have been blocked from the camera by the bill.

It only happens when I'm in the right hand lane where the 30 MPH sign is closely aligned with the US-45 sign. If I'm in the left lane there is enough parallax between the two that I think the NN identifies the signs separately. The part of it that makes me go "hmmm" is that this is the same behavior now for over a year - even before FSD. So I guess it's possible they're not training on speed limit signs any longer, or they haven't trained on this specific example or something, but it also leaves open the possibility that they're not doing as much training as I'd like to think they are :confused:

I'm on 10.6.1 and also got the red hands error twice a couple days ago. I also realized that FSD will not enable in rain due to "poor weather" however was able to do a workaround by turning it on from just inside a parking garage and having it take me on a 30 mile trip. Warning message saying FSD may have degraded capability was present on screen until the rain stopped. FSD performance in light rain didn't seem much different compared to dry weather.
I have seen many issues while running in the rain at night, not worth the risk. With Rain and leaves on the road forget it. I get the degraded capability, with rain.

Nags are significantly reduced in 10.6.1. I tried looking away and doing dumb things and it wouldnt nag until significant time looking away. 10.5 would nag me all the time

Tried a few miles around small town again. Navigated narrow unmarked residential street with vehicles parked in road on alternate sides successfully. It started to pass cones closing right lane and stopped dead 1/2 way through with no traffic. Passing oncoming traffic it careens from near center towards right and stops dead as car passes. Phantom braking every 50 yards. Turned FSD off again.

Tried 10.6.1 yesterday night in NJ.. I could not figure any noticeable improvements.. on the contrary it felt worser.
Car took a protected left turn after I pushed on the gas.. when it turned, it got into a wrong lane (which was another left)..I had to take over control to get it back on track.
Too many hard breaks.. it was like 2mph near a stop sign.. but it would still break hard.
Still does not recognize any speed breakers in my area..(really well painted)
Very jittery driving..
After my wife threatened me with to let her out of the car if I wanted to still keep trying... I gave in, and took over.
Same here. 10.6.1 (and all previous versions actually) are NSFW, where "W" = "Wife". I never use it where there is other traffic near me or when I'm not alone in the car. Don't like being embarrassed. I'll contribute whenever I can but I've been a beta tester for 2-1/2 years and I'm getting discouraged. I really miss the adaptive cruise on my 2012 Dodge Charger. Smooth as silk and would track a car in front through the mountain roads of NC like it was being towed. Can't do that with FSD. Oh... a word of advice to FSD drivers... don't let FSD have control when you are anywhere near a school bus.

Reactions: kriskros91
Has anyone had an occurrence of while on FSD the speed limit changes and the max speed appropriately changes too, but the car keeps cruising at the the original speed? The speed limit went from 75 to 65 to 55 and the cars max set speed changed as it should but the car kept trucking at 75mph. It’s happened on several occasions on 10.6.1, I even reduced the max speed via the scroll wheel down to 20mph and the car didn’t slow down! Disengaging AP/FSD and re-engaging fixes the issue until it happens again.

I’ve been taking snapshots every time.

I’m also getting a “changing lanes from right most lane” whenever it’s on a 4 lane city street. I guess it doesn’t like being in the right lane… Is that a Cali thing?

• Informative
The speed limit went from 75 to 65 to 55 and the cars max set speed changed as it should but the car kept trucking at 75mph.
Freeway ? Can’t be city ...

I’m also getting a “changing lanes from right most lane” whenever it’s on a 4 lane city street. I guess it doesn’t like being in the right lane… Is that a Cali thing?
Interesting. Do you mean 4 lanes each direction or 4 lanes total ?

Tried a few miles around small town again. Navigated narrow unmarked residential street with vehicles parked in road on alternate sides successfully. It started to pass cones closing right lane and stopped dead 1/2 way through with no traffic. Passing oncoming traffic it careens from near center towards right and stops dead as car passes. Phantom braking every 50 yards. Turned FSD off again.
I completely understand this unwillingness to tolerate FSD’s many shortcomings. I see enough similar posts that I’m curious if they’re really getting the quantity of FSD user data they need to accelerate development.

I force myself to use it pausing only when it exceeds the patience of other drivers, and I always flip it back on after completing the intervention and dispatching the clip … but then the only other occupant in my Y is my dog. If he could voice his opinion of it, he wouldn’t have much nice to say.

Reactions: okcazure
freeways that runs thru a small down with a progressive decrease and increase in the speed limit. It’s the typical speed trap setup.

Disengage and report every time that happens. Best way to get them corrected.
Actually freeway is not FSD beta but just AP, and it is expected that the speed does not adjust by itself even if the speed limit changes.

How does this show on the UI, as 'freeway/AP' or FSD?

Thats right. You need to adjust the speed in AP. Does NOA change speeds automatically ?
NOA being enabled or disabled make no difference, it will not adjust the speed by itself on AP.

Having said that, I do get speed adjustments when entering the freeway on specific carpool lane entrances. Set it to 75 manually (speed limit is 65) and then just before merging onto the freeway it drops back to 68 (+3 adjustment). But that might just be an artifact of the transition from FSD beta to AP.

My question is if you are on NOA (not just AP) on freeway, does it change speed. Seems to me it should - since difference freeways are expected to have different limits.
I always use NOA and it seams a recent thing (last month or two) that it automatically changes speed on the highway. It would only slow down in the past but now it increases speed most of the time as well. Not sure why its only works sometimes but my speculation is that if the map data and speed on speed limit signs agree, then change speeds. Again only my speculation.

• Informative