Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a warning that FSD Beta is not always good at turning from a fast speed road to a slow speed road. It can take the turn too fast and go too wide.
I’ve had a couple of such instances. This seems to be worse than 10.6.1 but in earlier releases, this has been inconsistent. It’s difficult to test on my routes since the faster roads are busy and we have traffic lights too. So, if FSD has a leading car, it works properly otherwise it is variable.

If at a turn the car doesn’t slowdown as expected, i disengage. Just as I would do before a stop sign (though that hasn’t happened in years).

Sadly vision based AP is about where radar based AP was 2-3 years ago, its a significant step backwards.

The vision based AP systems I've driven so far have been nothing to get excited about. Independent of that, after all these years of development and miles of use, it's curious how noisy the path blue line is especially in turns. That whipping blue path line into oncoming traffic and roadsides guarantees phantom braking.

Could somebody give me some instructions on how and when you can add way points? I am particularly interested in a way to alter the route chosen for me when I press navigate.
Is there a way to now do that?
Enter in a destination as normal. To add an intermediate stop, hit the “…” at the bottom right of the navigation pane.

B1A851F7-E625-44D8-819C-16A5BC50B8B4.jpg

Select the “add stop” option and add like you normally would.

To reorder the stops, hit the “…” button again and select “edit trip”. You can then drag the stops around by holding the double bar icon to the left of each stop and dragging vertically above or below other stops.

2446311A-13A8-4A5E-9876-D9F248C47953.jpg

The vision based AP systems I've driven so far have been nothing to get excited about. After all these years of development, it's curious how noisy the path blue line is especially in turns. That whipping blue path line into oncoming traffic and roadsides guarantees phantom braking.
Interestingly I'm one of the few with no more phantom braking than I had with radar. I typically get phanton breaking once a week or less, with about 50 miles per day of driving, 85% highway, 15% city streets. The blue path line is unstable for me as well...

I guess many here don't know about voice commands and how/where to use them. They are used with zero need to take eyes off the road. NOT SO with the "cards".

"Set wipers to 1,2,3,4,auto,off" Or you can push the left stalk button. It it really that hard?

Sometimes there are other people in the car. I don’t want to interrupt and talk to the car frequently when this happens.

I use the button all the time when it’s raining. Because the car can’t figure out how to manage the wipers is a reasonable way.

FWIW 10.8 brought me my first real "my car is actively trying to kill me" moment.... driving to a friends place via back roads, so it's a 1-lane-each-way road, well/clearly market, 55 mph speed limit.... seemingly randomly the car activates turn signal and changes into the oncoming lane as if it's a valid driving lane- crossing double yellow line to do it.

There were no cars coming and pretty far visibility- so no "real" danger, but it was a very WTF moment I never experienced (including on the same road/drive) with earlier versions.

Only other real "failure" on the trip was it was unable to understand how to make a turn it had failed on with previous versions- it just sits there and does nothing besides turn on the blinker.... pic attached showing the left it never even tries to actually make.

Previously I'd manually take over as there were often other cars around.

This time I decided to see what it'd do if i just used the accelerator (at some intersections I've found it won't start the turn without you prompting it, but if you do use the accelerator it'll at least do the steering correctly).

Not so much this time had to manually take over halfway through as it jerked the wheel around not understanding where to actually go.

Intersection pic attached, the circle is roughly where the car stops and sits with turn signal on rather than trying to make the left, red arrow showing direction of travel to that point.

badleft.png

I had a near miss today on 10.8. Driving south on 46, the car made the right turn on Gardendale Rd too fast and too wide and almost hit the car waiting to turn right onto 46 (black box). I yanked the steering wheel at the last minute and avoided the accident. FSD Beta never slowed down to make the turn. It steered a bit to the left like it was making a lane change, probably to give itself a wider turn radius, and then tried to make the turn at 50 mph!

Here is a google maps of the scene:

ps4HtrV.png

Just a warning that FSD Beta is not always good at turning from a fast speed road to a slow speed road. It can take the turn too fast and go too wide.
I always find myself slowing down the car with the right scroll wheel (without disengaging FSD) when making turns. Other time such as upcoming red light, it could’ve brake or regenerate brake early, but instead in hits the accelerator then come to a harder stop.

The vision based AP systems I've driven so far have been nothing to get excited about. Independent of that, after all these years of development and miles of use, it's curious how noisy the path blue line is especially in turns. That whipping blue path line into oncoming traffic and roadsides guarantees phantom braking.

I doubt that blue path line is a nano-second, pixel accurate window into what FSD is thinking. It's just the display. The system is constantly calculating based on always changing conditions. It's not an indiction it's getting confused.

My safety score was 98 leading to the update on Christmas Eve. I noticed the score disappeared from the app but it appears my car now has the FSD beta.

I took it for a drive in the neighborhood and it nearly crashed into a couple of parked cars and is very aggressive on accel/decel, despite setting it to Chill.

It definitely requires more concentration than just driving the car yourself. Like a toddler might grab the wheel at any moment!

It definitely requires more concentration than just driving the car yourself. Like a toddler might grab the wheel at any moment!
Your 100% correct there. You need to pay more attention than just driving yourself when on FSD. You need to watch for what others are doing and anticipate what FSD might do at all times! That's the main reason it's not for everyone.

I remember one morning 2016. I woke up and read that during the night (my local time) Musk had announced that all the Teslas from that moment will be having the necessary hardware for Full self driving and it was just a question of one to two years, when you could sleep in your car when it was driving. Tesla had also shown the “Paint it black demo”, where driver was in the seat for regulatory reasons only. I thought that the guy is genius and was waiting for the moment to trade my Tesla for this self driving miracle.

Now five years later I’m rather close to toss in the towel. I don’t see, that Tesla is able to do it with the current sensor suite.

On the plus side, Im still driving my 85D with no reason to change. Now I’m waiting for the AP 4 and the rumored extra cameras setup.

Last edited:
My safety score was 98 leading to the update on Christmas Eve. I noticed the score disappeared from the app but it appears my car now has the FSD beta.

I took it for a drive in the neighborhood and it nearly crashed into a couple of parked cars and is very aggressive on accel/decel, despite setting it to Chill.

Yup. Definitely need to pay more attention and require more concentration with FSD enabled. Not that human driving don’t need to, but we don’t have to expect any sudden unnecessary acc/deacc, wheel jerk, land change, etc.

On the plus side, Im still driving my 85D with no reason to change. Now I’m waiting for the AP 4 and the rumored extra cameras setup.
Same. Still driving my 2012 S P85, waiting for HW4 to upgrade it to a Model Y. (I also have an early-VIN Model 3 with FSD Beta 10.8.) I think HW3 could eventually reach the level of "useful" L2 city-street driving (where "useful" to me means a system that requires less driver mental focus for the same level of safety, which is already true on the highway), but I highly doubt HW3 will ever achieve city-street L4. Highway L3 in a few years, perhaps. Looking forward to HW4, presumably more cameras/sensors, perhaps with some self-cleaning capability (lasers? mini-wiper for backup cam?) and 10x more compute. Just a guess.

FWIW 10.8 brought me my first real "my car is actively trying to kill me" moment.... driving to a friends place via back roads, so it's a 1-lane-each-way road, well/clearly market, 55 mph speed limit.... seemingly randomly the car activates turn signal and changes into the oncoming lane as if it's a valid driving lane- crossing double yellow line to do it.
I've had a few of these, and every single time there hasn't been cars around, it seems like it uses other cars to greatly influence its behavior

I doubt that blue path line is a nano-second, pixel accurate window into what FSD is thinking. It's just the display. The system is constantly calculating based on always changing conditions. It's not an indiction it's getting confused.

Could be on occasion but I've seen a few 10.8 scenarios where the blue path line whips into the oncoming or roadside traffic instantaneously before the line goes gray and phantom braking occurs. There seems to be a strong cause and effect.

Whether it's a feature or a function, the good and bad about the whip is the quick response. Not sure if that's an attempted solution for lagging video data but at the least there should be some sanity checks for both feeding the algo and the result of the algo since roadways don't behave that way.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Only other real "failure" on the trip was it was unable to understand how to make a turn it had failed on with previous versions- it just sits there and does nothing besides turn on the blinker.... pic attached showing the left it never even tries to actually make.
Map problem.

Tesla really needs to install a transparent process to take in map corrections and get it done. We should be able to see the status of update request and in the next build we should get the change. If small companies like TomTom implement it, why not a Trillion $ market cap company ?

Reactions: FSDtester#1