Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What version are you on? This was a big problem for me in the earlier releases, but with 10.6.1 my MS now hugs the right quite nicely on unmarked two lane roads.
The issue is with winding, 2-lane roads. My M3 hugs the center line and even crosses it on right-hand curves. This is extraordinarily dangerous and scares the crap out of oncoming traffic (not to mention me).

I know people driving the other way in my neighborhood give me funny looks since the roads are wide and Beta stays in the middle. There is plenty of room so nothing unsafe but just odd. I'm sure it's on the the "I'm a gonna do" list for Tesla so someday it'll be addressed.
My problem is with marked and winding 2-lane roads. Apparently it's an issue with several people. There's a whole thread about it.

The issue is with winding, 2-lane roads. My M3 hugs the center line and even crosses it on right-hand curves. This is extraordinarily dangerous and scares the crap out of oncoming traffic (not to mention me).
Video?

What speed have you set ... does it reduce the speed when turning ?

My hypothesis is that they have lower cost for crossing the yellow and the car selects paths that cross yellow when it is safe for comfort. Lot of people do that too.

Anyway, report whenever it happens.

Some of the new updates look quite promising. The regen to stop will be a very welcome update. Not just efficiency but less hard braking.
View attachment 745877
I currently disengage Beta as I'm approaching situations where I know the car will have to slowdown to maximize Regen and minimize brake use. I really hope the tweaks they're making let Beta do that by itself so I can just let Beta do its thing instead. It sounds promising at least.

I have a friend who has a 2017 Model S with upgraded hardware on FSD beta and he lost auto park with the first time he got FSD beta. He also has a 2018 Model 3 and told me he still has it on the model 3. So it is apparently a car model loss not the software loss in FSD beta. I never lost bounded autopark in my Model Y but it has never been in the FSD beta program. If the claims are true that we will get it with the next FSD beta 10.8 I'll be pleased.
Autopark worked for 1 update for me. I haven't had it in over a month in my refreshed S

My problem is with marked and winding 2-lane roads. Apparently it's an issue with several people. There's a whole thread about it.
I just emailed Tesla's beta team on this exact problem. Very tight blind corners on a country road where there is barely enough room for two cars to pass and FSD wants to take the corner partway into the other lane. I took over on every turn. Speed limit is 25mph. These corners need to be taken at 15mph which is how everyone does it. This is a road I can ride faster on my road bike then I can drive it.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Mine on a right hand two lane will hit the reflectors and then the inside double line scary as *sugar*. I always start to tug the wheel in case it wants to go over entirely. What that poster claiming it tried to kill him is kind of what mine does but I don’t over react and flip out and over correct and fly off the road like he did.

Same behavior for me. Honestly, it was like this before getting the beta. Has been for a while. It always seems to be on right hand curves, as you mentioned.

TeslaFi is showing a new update, 2021.44.5.5, that may be FSD 10.8.
It is going to one person with two others pending. They are coming from 2021.36.8.10 FSD 10.6.1.
That has been the pattern. A couple users will get the new FSD before the rest, I think to a Model Y in California.
This time I am making a note of the car:
Y Long Range 301XXX California
Teslascope reports two vehicles, a MY and a M3. Both are coming from 2021.36.8.10 (10.6.1) just as @K5TRX reported from TeslaFi. No release notes as of now.

Teslascope now has release notes and they are the previously leaked 10.7 notes. We'll see if this release is 10.7 or 10.8.
The exciting news is that this is on the 2021.44 branch with lots of goodies like waypoints as Elon tweeted.

1639966988373.png

Last edited:
Honestly the biggest real-world use case advantage of having FSD Beta is that you are no longer capped at +5MPH when on Autopilot on city streets. Aside from that, it's not a feature that you use aside from when wanting to test it out for the sake of testing it out. It's literally "Ok, Im going to do some testing now...have to pay extra extra attention." It's way more stressful than normal driving as you have to be fully engaged in watching what the car is doing and you actually start learning yourself on where you expect the car to mess up and you are usually correct. When it doesnt mess up, its like, that was pretty cool. Regular just driving on a straight road or on the freeway is really no different than normal Autopilot.
this is exactly my current opinion with having FSD Beta^^^

Same behavior for me. Honestly, it was like this before getting the beta. Has been for a while. It always seems to be on right hand curves, as you mentioned.
The road into our development has an ‘s’ curve (actually it’s more of a jog to the right.) On good days I’m mostly on the right side of the road but often I’m smack in the middle. If there’s any oncoming traffic I have to take over becasue I’m clearly in their lane. It seems like they could at least keep the car on the right side of the road!

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
If Tesla is able to expand regenerative braking in AutoPilot to go all the way to 0 mph (no physical use of the actual brakes), why can't Tesla add that feature for cars that currently don't have that feature when not even using AP/FSD?
I'd love to be able to do one pedal driving, but my 2017 Model S currently can't do that.

Reactions: FSDtester#1