Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is ANC?
FE324C9C-71E4-4DF7-B835-788193F25BB6.jpeg
87C8E2D0-CC28-4210-A6E0-3DB6F9F23A75.jpeg

Do you need to actually opt out, or can you just toggle FSD off and use AP/EAP/NOA as usual?
Toggling FSD just turns off FSD - it doesn't turn radar back on again etc.
Toggling FSD off still has the car panic braking for dark shadows and other none existent terrors when on AP.
I now manually drive when the family is in the car or I'm doing trip - its just not worth the (justified) complaints
Sadly vision based AP is about where radar based AP was 2-3 years ago, its a significant step backwards.

Reactions: kabin and am_dmd
Sadly vision based AP is about where radar based AP was 2-3 years ago, its a significant step backwards.
You might want to calibrate your cameras for FSD.

I know for a fact that my Tesla AP and Highway FSD, and NOA is far better than it was when I drove it before they shut down the radar. I've had LKAS and CC on several cars and none of them drove as well as Tesla AP does today, especially after they shut radar down. Heck, my Tesla on FSD on the highway couldn't handle an S bend in the highway due to construction and after they shut down that radar data these are perfectly centered and also the vision slows down as needed. Are there surprise corner cases? Absolutely, the same as there were with radar + vision. But overall I can drive the interstate for hours without an intervention of error.

So is there a manual online for how to use FSD and what errors to report? I know we should hit the camera icon in the title area to report a failure, but just anything? I tried to start from a standstill and the mirrors folded in and the brakes engaged but the car was still trying to proceed, is that a bug? No manual to read and figure out what to expect.

I seem to be forever stuck on 10.5. Really ready for 10.8.
The phantom braking has been so bad for me on 10.5 I don’t even use cruise control anymore

After safety score 98 for about six weeks, finally got 10.8 this morning. Did a couple short test drives. Not as good as I expected it to be but perhaps it will take some getting use to its idiosyncrasies. Still happy to have it after the too-long wait!
I found it took a week or two of using FSD to become familiar for how it works. Then your decisions on whether to disengage or not, or when to use the go pedal will most likely improve the overall FSD experience.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Don’t I just wear my Airpod Pros and get better ANR? Lot cheaper than a new car
I tried that long before Tesla announced it's ANR play for the new S. It works. :)

So is there a manual online for how to use FSD and what errors to report?
I understand that you don't need to report a disengagement you are forced to do for safety as that is reported automatically. But if something happens that is weird and you didn't need to abort, then hit the camera button to report it. Something like phantom braking or driving in the work lane or failure to follow the route would be something I would report. Basically I report anything that is not normal smooth driving behavior. Most common reporting I do is coming to a stop for no reason in the middle of a left or right turn, running a red light. But I'm usually aborting by hitting the brake on that.

Completely missing in my 2021 Refresh S LR. Did the Scroll wheel brake pedal reboot several times as well. Another odd anomaly is the passenger vent stays on now when unoccupied as well as the rear passenger screen when unoccupied. Thought the reset as well as trying a “power off” for several minutes might work but same behavior

F9A706F7-5E1F-403D-8B90-841987D48E49.jpeg
8D0C8002-97A1-449C-B237-4BA7BCECDD2C.jpeg

Reactions: K5TRX
I had a near miss today on 10.8. Driving south on 46, the car made the right turn on Gardendale Rd too fast and too wide and almost hit the car waiting to turn right onto 46 (black box). I yanked the steering wheel at the last minute and avoided the accident. FSD Beta never slowed down to make the turn. It steered a bit to the left like it was making a lane change, probably to give itself a wider turn radius, and then tried to make the turn at 50 mph!

Here is a google maps of the scene:

ps4HtrV.png

Just a warning that FSD Beta is not always good at turning from a fast speed road to a slow speed road. It can take the turn too fast and go too wide.

You might want to calibrate your cameras for FSD.

I know for a fact that my Tesla AP and Highway FSD, and NOA is far better than it was when I drove it before they shut down the radar. I've had LKAS and CC on several cars and none of them drove as well as Tesla AP does today, especially after they shut radar down. Heck, my Tesla on FSD on the highway couldn't handle an S bend in the highway due to construction and after they shut down that radar data these are perfectly centered and also the vision slows down as needed. Are there surprise corner cases? Absolutely, the same as there were with radar + vision. But overall I can drive the interstate for hours without an intervention of error.

My experience is also that vision only produces fewer phantom brakes on the highway. Unfortunately I think we are in the minority, based on a recent poll I saw around here.