Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
exactly right - but that isn't what is happening. There is no crowd sourcing of map data that any of us can detect. Tesla used Open Street Map for smart summon but not for FSD.
Thats the current problem, FSD doesn't currently seem to be functionally robust enough to have the confidence to override map data. So we see mistakes like that.
I think it’s a little more subtle. I’ve had my car stop at a stop sign it could see that was turned. Eg would have been in the map for the cross road.

In any case I don’t know that using the maps are necessarily a problem per-say so long as there’s a decent system for making the map data good. Which T doesn’t seem to be doing yet.

Last night 3 different times my car abruptly moved left while driving on a straight road. I wouldn't call it a swerve but it moved left suddenly as if to avoid something like a car on the side of the road but there was nothing there. The first time I immediately took over by tensing my arm, the second there were no cars around and I let it play out, it crossed the yellow (maybe about 1/3 of the car) then came back abruptly, 3rd time there was a car coming so I couldn't let it play out. One of the times there were boxes out to someone's trash at the side of the road but it was in no way in the road or even right at the edge and wasn't moving in anyway the other 2 times there was no objects there (I don't remember if there was a mailbox or not). I did notice on the screen it seems to be displaying a lot more humans that aren't there, it seems to be mistaking plastic mailboxes for humans much more often. This hasn't happened during the day so far.

I have had the same happen on a freshly paved road, which is very wide, it should be four lane. FSD thinks the tar line is a lane divider. the car tries to hug the curb, jumps arbitrarily to the other side of the tar line. Then like you it goes nuts and goes across the new double yellow line about a third of a car then comes back. This is the one area I wont use FSD much anymore. Before the road was paved two-three weeks ago the car was fine. Not anymore.

With the talk about stop signs. The car is looking for them. I had someone knock down a stop sign that I have passed dozens of times. The sign is now one foot off the ground, but visible. The car blows by it as if it were never there.

Still no update on my 2020 MS. Beta 10.6.1

Any one getting beta since the last roll out? I missed the last roll out on my Plaid i think because I only had 60 miles driven with a 100 score. But now I'm at 150ish miles with 100 score. Wondering when the next snapshot and roll out may be!
TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker shows not really any new installs of the Beta since Xmas eve, just a few stragglers that probably were not parked near wifi when the rollout happened. I did read on one thread here, not sure if it's a fact, that Tesla scans the fleet for new cars to add to the next roll out before it happens, and if you are not matching the criteria you have to wait until the next scan. No way to know when its gonna happen, although they have been pretty consistent about releasing on weekends, so perhaps they scan on the Wednesday before? But yeah, safe to say, you have missed the 10.8 update, there is always the one two weeks from now to be ready for, perhaps it will include people with a consistent 98 or 97 score by then.

Although... This is the holidays, perhaps no one is working on updates now, so maybe another month for the next release. Unless something egregious is discovered.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
0364CDB4-8C1D-4D73-B882-1831E0927749.jpeg

I get an error KM instead of miles on my iPad app.

agreed
It might be better if FSD was really vision only, except if isn't and is handicapped by its reliance on crappy maps.
Even worse, not only is it using crappy map data for routing, it prioritizes that crappy data over the realtime camera data.
I see this almost everyday using FSD for two junctions - one was a 4-way stop that was completely removed, the other was a 4-way stop replaced by traffic lights. It manages to mishandle both of them because its using map data to override what the cameras are inputting.
Ive seen this as well in the past week I have had it. Whenever it fails its either because the maps don't agree with what the vision is showing, or GPS is off and the car thinks its in the wrong spot on the map and does not know what to do.

Wonder what would happen if they just used maps and GPS as just a general "here is what's coming up ahead and be prepared for it" and let the vision generated map be the sole decision maker. Right now that does not seem to be happening, and if the vision system and maps disagree by a wide margin it just fails.

Since I got into Beta (10.2) I haven't been able to shift into Reverse without using the Brake pedal (aggravating). I even get a waring. Here is a pic of the Icon and if expanded it says something like "Must use Brake Pedal to change Gears". So you can shift into Reverse without using the Brake Pedal?

View attachment 748804
You are right. This started happening to me once I received FSD beta. But after experimenting I have noticed it will only do this if FSD is engaged on the drive. Otherwise you are allowed to change gears even when rolling. Also, once you do this once, place it back in drive and then in reverse again, it will once again allow you to shift without having to apply the brake.

You have FSD Beta and still getting a safety score? That doesn’t sound right, I kept my score up for a while and then got the FSD Beta download about two months ago, have not seen safety score since
This is common for many people and have been talked about in many different places. We don’t have definite answer yet, but seems having Tesla insurance is one of the reason why the score is still in the app for some people.

Edit: location seems to be a factor as well.

Level 4 & 5 is for the robot taxi in big pre mapped cities …. Level 2 & 3 for consumers any place any where ……
It will take another 5-7 years before FSD will become reality for consumers ….. you will have version 98.0 at that time I think ;-)

Mark my words…. Apple will buy Tesla, will refund the paid amount for the FSD feature and will start with a new concept and approach with the Apple car and HD Maps….Model Y will be the last Tesla model.

Elon is driving in the dead end street and he knows. That clarifies his behavior of last months.

Sorry!

Mark my words…. Apple will buy Tesla, will refund the paid amount for the FSD feature and will start with a new concept and approach with the Apple car and HD Maps….Model Y will be the last Tesla model.
The stock holders will never approve of it. Besides, Apple, Tim Cook, isn't even interested. Of course if Apple wants to buy my Tesla stock for $10,000 a share, I'll sell it to them tomorrow. :)

Apple is my second largest holding in my portfolio. I can't lose. But Apple share holders would need to vote on it too because Apple would lose it's huge cash pile and incur a huge about of debt. The whole idea is moronic!

Last edited:
Did some FSD 10.8 testing today:

Left and right turns at intersections were noticeably smoother. Not sure why this has been so hard to implement, as Tesla certainly should know their cars' turning dynamics. But, progress here is welcome. Having the steering wheel swing wildly back and forth during a simple 90 deg turn was annoying.

Stop signs were horrible. Most cases, the car took far to long to decide that the way was clear. A few cases were OK, but generally not. I have seen little evidence that the car can reliably determine when it's turn to proceed has come. If there are two other cars at the intersection of a four way stop, the Tesla almost always will just sit there until I use the accelerator to proceed. This even on the assertive setting.

Unprotected left, and often right turns are poor. Often, the car will just sit there. At one right turn, the car displayed "waiting for high speed traffic to clear" even though there were no cars to be seen in either direction.

Phantom braking was improved for me. I had no issues in town. Out of town, on FSD, was also very good. One incident where the car crested a hill with a right hand curve immediately following and an approaching car rounding that curve resulted in the Tesla screaming bloody murder and hitting the brakes. I'll consider that an edge case.

I tried checking phantom braking on two lane high speed roads on NOA. I didn't have any incidents, but I only had about 10 miles. It seemed like the car wanted to use FSD on more rural roads than before, but maybe a false impression.

On FSD, the car seems to wait until the last minute to switch to a turning lane. I've had more than one case where the car skated across two lanes to dive into a turn lane. I have to admit that acting so human-like put a smile on my face. But I would rather it plan a little further ahead.

The car still takes reduced speed turns too fast on high speed two lane roads. This is especially evident on right hand curves. The car does slow down prior to the curve, but the car gets too close to the double-yellow line. The lines have reflectors embedded in the road and I can feel the tires rolling over them. I know it's a performance car, but Tesla needs to reduce the lateral g-limit for these turns a little bit.

On rural low speed roads with no centerline, the car tends to position itself toward the center of the road. If there is an approaching car ahead, the Tesla does move toward the right, but it waits too long to do so. Also, on these roads, the car tended to reduce its speed below the posted speed limit (29 mph vs posted 35 mph) with no notification.

I find need to disengage FSD when approaching any rural railroad crossing unless I know that it's a smooth crossing. the car does not recognize the need to slow down for a rough crossing. I also had one case where a railroad crossing was very close to a stop sign. The car slowed for the stop sign and made its initial stop without fully clearing the tracks. That's a major fail.

Apple is my second largest holding in my portfolio.
MeeTooo, and only because Tesla took off, I still have more Apple shares

I took a drive this afternoon too and, although I have no experience with this yet, was surprised when the car tried to sneak thru a road closed due to flooding barrier instead of recognizing it's presence and going another way. Otherwise it drives way better than I do, or that it used to on AP, so far it hasn't driven into oncoming traffic near home despite doing it reliably before. This is all very exciting and new.

🎵 "The Love Car soon will be making another run..." 🎶

Last edited:
Still stuck on 10.6.1 and NOT suspended. Everything functions as normal, just not getting my update to 10.8. I’ve been on WiFi 90% of the time since 10.8 was released. 2019 Model S Performance (Raven). I sent the FSD team an email asking them to check, so fingers crossed that gets me somewhere.

It looks like very FEW model S have gotten this update. And it looks like those that have gotten it are Model S Plaid or refresh model S. Maybe they are still working on some things for the S and will push an update for S soon?

Elon is driving in the dead end street and he knows. That clarifies his behavior of last months.
This is the part of the movie when the depth charges are exploding all around. All the crew are perspiring and gripping the pipes in the dim red gloom of the silent-running lamps with a steam-leak hissing in the background. There's a pause in the bombardment that only serves to build the excruciating tension ... then another close and violent explosion! The young helmsman finally breaks. He starts crying and babbling incoherently, insisting they're all doomed, dashing for the hatch wheel in a crazed and hopeless attempt to surrender! He is stopped and wrestled to the deck by the burly Master Chief, who brings him back to his senses with a sharp slap to the jaw. The chastised submariner looks up in shame at his captain. The battle-wise skipper regards him evenly and says
" Son, this isn't over yet - not by a long shot. We need every man to stay with us. Pull yourself together because you're my best rudder man. We'll get through this and I'm going to need you there for payback time."

Seems like the false head on collision alerts on the road I live on have been fixed and now seems to realize being in the right-hand lane to turn right is a good idea.
I wish Tesla would update the maps because one of the main roads I drive is newer and not on the map. This road has been open for over 6 months, so I find this annoying.

Level 4 & 5 is for the robot taxi in big pre mapped cities …. Level 2 & 3 for consumers any place any where ……
It will take another 5-7 years before FSD will become reality for consumers ….. you will have version 98.0 at that time I think ;-)

Sorry!
This is hilarious, Apple spends $500 billion to get a controlling interest in Tesla. How much money has Tesla spend to get to this point? a fraction(small fraction) of that. Apple could spend 10% of that and end up with just as much manufacturing facilities as Tesla in 5 years. Lucid has already proven than more efficient motor designs are out there . A few billion will get you 95% of the battery development. The charging infrastructure is a couple of billion more.

Reactions: israndy