Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my baseline - have buttons for things you have to do quickly. Things that can be done slowly don’t need a single button except for convenience - and that needs to be configurable.

All this will anyway be history once Tesla makes basic functions available as pinnable actions, rather than just apps.
On the subject of buttons you need quickly I remember the best button placement ever was is a 2010-11 BMW X5. The recirculate button was on the steering wheel right under your right thumb. We have a lot of depressed skunks that tend to jump in front of cars. Need a live microphone that listens for the word “SKUNK!” and it shuts off the outside air.

Got 10.8 this afternoon just in time to drive my regular 4:15 pm route to the Bee Cave Dog park. So far I am impressed with the progress. Smoother braking for sure - no hard phantom hits. Cars is more confident and left turn trajectory is much better. Overall the best improvement I have seen since I got the beta on version 10.3.1.

Perhaps it's because I have the legacy screen, but I like the new UI just fine, probably more than the old one. Really like the subwoofer control and the replacement of temp controls. One thing - my SSD drive is recognized but not being read now, so I can't look at sentry and the car says it cannot reformat it either. I will have to investigate further.

I had previously reported on an older version of beta that on icy roads (turning from a stop at intersections) it would accelerate normally and put the car into a slide without engaging any traction control or seem to notice it was in a slide (let it do this for testing with full expectation it would be unable). This seems to be better on 10.8 so far. Once when I engaged at a stop sign like before it started to accelerate and turn then immediately engaged traction control, let off the accelerator, and gave the take over immediately. A couple other tests tonight with beta accelerating straight from a stop sign it actually did a great job using traction control and handled it very well. It still wanted to go normal speed into turns which I was unwilling to let it do as there were curbs and not much room for correcting manually (low speed neighborhood with no other cars or people around but still don't want curb damage). The roads are getting worse so I will do some more testing tonight. Just to be clear for anyone new to beta I am NOT saying beta is good for slippery/icy/snow covered roads, this is just some testing in low speed, no traffic, controlled situations to see how it responds to the road conditions.

I'm in Seattle right now, and I tried FSD 10.8 on a snow-covered residential road, and it insisted on driving into the unplowed portion of the road. Nearly ready. Few understand this. March of 9s.
We’ve got snow in the southeast part of WA as well and 10.8 has had its ass kicked by it. Even with clear driving lanes visible to a human, with the center and side striping covered by snow it struggles mightily.

Don't have the toggle for Active Road Noise Reduction. Also my passenger vent is constantly on after the update as well as the rear screen is always on, both while driving not while charging etc.

Any one else with a Refresh S, possibly a LR not Plaid issue, not seeing the ANR and passenger vents staying active with no passenger after installing 2021.44.25.6
Interesting, same here with the passenger vent and the rear screen always on despite nothing on the back seats and no passengers. Curious why you don’t have the toggle in audio settings (same menu that lets you turn on/off immersive sound, and control your bass and treble) for noise reduction feature though. Toggled it on and off again while driving to see if I can tell the difference, nope. I guess I was expecting the same feel as the AirPods Pro when I initially heard they’re doing ANC in these cars. Sounds like the feature is in the same place as the Witcher, Cyberpunk, and other “console quality gaming” 😅
Reacting to emergency lights was added in the mainstream release a couple months back, it's possible it didn't' make it into the Beta stack till now.
I first noticed it when the first try-out button software dropped with the safety score. Was doing a lot of driving on AP to not get dinged for dumb crap.

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I agree the added features on the vertical screen is better. Just took me a little getting used to finding everything. Will do my test driving tomorrow.

Too bad Tesla doesn't give us the Light show with just indoor sound that keeps the windows down to be heard when no pedestrian speaker is available.
Ummm…it does put the windows down and uses the internal speakers. It doesn’t use pedestrian speaker.

Do we know if 10.8 is single stack, as in not reverting to old NOA on the highway?
It's not. It's coming in V11 which Elon says is another major rewrite of the neural nets. Apparently the building of the vector space is currently done in procedural code from a "bag of points with probabilities" the neural net generates. He says V11 will build the vector space directly using neural nets. He considers building an accurate vector space the hardest aspect of autonomous driving.

He also said that the current controllers for braking and steering are inadequate because they only update at 10 hz, introducing 100 ms of latency. He said they need to be updated to 100 hz.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
If you turn off the beta, will FSD revert to the old navigate on autopilot (NOA).

NoA still works in exactly the same places it always has- the beta has no impact on its use either way (other than potentially limiting max speed and follow distance because having the beta turns off radar for radar cars even on the highway).

The beta only operates on city streets and other non-limited-access non-freeway roads (places NoA does not).

It's not. It's coming in V11 which Elon says is another major rewrite of the neural nets. Apparently the building of the vector space is currently done in procedural code from a "bag of points with probabilities" the neural net generates. He says V11 will build the vector space directly using neural nets.

NoA still works in exactly the same places it always has- the beta has no impact on its use either way (other than potentially limiting max speed and follow distance because having the beta turns off radar for radar cars even on the highway).

The beta only operates on city streets and other non-limited-access non-freeway roads (places NoA does not).

Thank you. I'm going on a road trip and could not use the beta at highway speeds. NoA (lane keeping) is predictable, takes about the same amount of attention as regular driving, plus the added AP safety benefits. FSD beta on the other hand requires 3x the attention and a vise grip hold on the wheel.

Thank you. I'm going on a road trip and could not use the beta at highway speeds. NoA (lane keeping) is predictable, takes about the same amount of attention as regular driving, plus the added AP safety benefits. FSD beta on the other hand requires 3x the attention and a vise grip hold on the wheel.
On limited access highways it will be the same NOA whether you disable FSD Beta or not. You could temporarily opt out of Beta to return to the production version of NOA. It can take some time to get the new download after opting out, though.