Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Beta FSD with 10.8 on my September build Plaid Model S (not new to Tesla - my 3rd MS with AP). Questions for Refreshed Model S/X owners with 10.8.
From release notes…

"Video Record" button on the top bar Ul to share your
feedback. When pressed, your vehicle's external cameras will share a
short VIN-associated Autopilot Snapshot with the Tesla engineering
team to help make improvements to FSD. You will not be able to view the clip.

Doesn’t it seem crazy that you need to pull out the controls panel in order to Press the "Video Record" 🎥 ?
Or am I missing another option to do so?

218EE31E-6CDA-4C62-A54C-FAC870E5D3A5.jpeg

Also I’m assuming that there is no expanded visualization as there is on a Model 3 or a Model Y and that all visualizations remain on the instrument cluster. Or have they been expanded from previous versions on the instrument cluster?
Too bad we dont have the option to set the instrument cluster to more of a daylight mode for more clarity. I’m guessing it’s because it might be considered to be a distraction or even against some regulations…

This will be a first drive on a mapped test route I have used for all beta FSD versions. The report for the 2020 Model S with vertical screen:

Just got back from my test route.

The waypoints were easy but in the wrong order. I found the process to get to the edit menu not obvious. Not sure what I did to bring it up but it eventually showed up. Once I edited the waypoints in proper order and saved it it set up the route fine.
I came to my first waypoint and the AP aborted and I stopped. Re-engaged to my next waypoint.
No lines on the road and car zigzagged to the left then to the right and then to the left, totally confused as to which side of the road to be on.
Came to my first stop sign intersection with occluded ( blinded) left and right views. Car crept into the cross road and then when it could see, took off to speed limit. quickly went around a car parked around a corner at full speed to another clear stop sign. Car stayed at the stop sign for 45 seconds not moving. Then took off straight through but the nav map had me going to the left turn. The turn signal was even on while stopped but I went straight.
Now off the map between two way-points and it turned again going further away from the next way point. I took over and got back on route. The next test was speed bumps. The speed bump markings are back again and the car slowed down to 18 mph which was OK. The next test were two speed bumps about 50 ft apart. It did the first one OK but took the second one also well marked in the display at full speed 35mph. Came to a right turn at a traffic light with a merge lane. turned right on red OK into the merge lane but then I had to abort as it was speeding up and about to run over the curb at the end of the merge lane. Nav map still shows going into the Supercharger wrong wanting me to drive over the median on a divided road. I aborted and make the next entry into the Supercharger.

No auto park P available. Started charging at V3. There were 4 other Teslas charging. The new UI for charging has changed. Not good all the information is gone. No KW, No rate of charging , or time remaining: Just a slow updated State of Charge. I had no idea what was working. Finally I figured out that my iphone app still showed the data as before.

IMG_2440.jpg

There was also some info as before in the center panel of the driver's display but it showed in KM not miles even though my car is set to display miles.
This sucks. I hope this was just some junior programmer screwup and not that they intend to hide the charging progress from us.
The other strange thing is while sitting waiting to complete charge my car kept locking and pulling in the mirrors.

While charging I tested the new TikTok. I never used this before. Up came a couple highschool boys getting arroused while watching a cute girl in a cheer leaders outfit doing some sexy dance for them.

My grade for this over hyped and under delivered up grade is a solid F.

I need to work on the waypoints edit to learn better how to access it. I can't understand why it no longer follows the route when between two waypoints.

Ok found it- the three ... in the lower right corner of the route listing brings up the edit / add/ settings menu.

Last edited:
OOOH. Okay so what do we do from here? We need different hardware or what for more progression?
Elon says they are at the end for their current method of generating a vector space from the camera images. According to him, FSD Beta V11 will have a whole new neural net that generates the vector space directly. All these 10.x release just seem to be stalling until they can get V11 out.

Elon says they are at the end for their current method of generating a vector space from the camera images. According to him, FSD Beta V11 will have a whole new neural net that generates the vector space directly. All these 10.x release just seem to be stalling until they can get V11 out.

Ah. Are they still planning on doing it with cameras tho? Or we gonna need radar and LiDAR or something?

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy and EVNow
This afternoon while in FSD I was kicked out a bunch of times. Each time I got a "Cruise control unavailable" message. A review of the alerts (click on car icon and then the bell icon) after getting home showed the following messages prior to the Cruise control messages: Autosteer temporarily unavailable and Driving visualization temporarily degraded (feature may be restored on next drive). Something like this happened over the weekend and then cleared up. Hopefully it will clear up by tomorrow.

Has this happened to anyone else that has FSD 10.8? Anything to be done about it? I just washed the car on Sunday so the lenses should be clean.

Take care

I interpret that as back to the drawing board.

What I would like to see in 2022:
Step one- Get all beta testers on the same version.
Step two- examine the current level of hardware in the car and consider making changes such as move all pillar cameras up to the front of the car to end the creep and FSD manic mode as it sticks it's nose into high speed traffic.
Step three- Stop giving the customers stuff they don't want, never asked for and then telling them they have to love it because Elon said so. Dare I say the stupid yoke wheel? Work on stuff loyal customers want and ask for over and over.
Step four- Make possible various options in the store for upgrade such as a Boom Box and speaker for legacy Teslas.

I welcome other suggestions. We need to take this to it's own thread but the parts about the beta versions belong here.

I interpret that as back to the drawing board.
Nope.

What I would like to see in 2022:
Step one- Get all beta testers on the same version.
Step two- examine the current level of hardware in the car and consider making changes such as move all pillar cameras up to the front of the car to end the creep and FSD manic mode as it sticks it's nose into high speed traffic.
Would've happened with the 3/Y if it were going to happen at all.

Step three- Stop giving the customers stuff they don't want, never asked for and then telling them they have to love it because Elon said so. Dare I say the stupid yoke wheel? Work on stuff loyal customers want and ask for over and over.
Step four- Make possible various options in the store for upgrade such as a Boom Box and speaker for legacy Teslas.

I welcome other suggestions. We need to take this to it's own thread but the parts about the beta versions belong here.
Customers can only see and only care about incremental features. Elon, and other visionaries who legitimately push the envelope, make their fortunes building things customers didn't know they needed. I do take your point that there's a certain low-cost + quality-of-life-improving set of features which Tesla should implement. But 80% of their R&D should be on the big picture, and maintaining their lead.

Last edited:
Nope.

Would've happened with the 3/Y if it were going to happen at all.

Customers can only see and only care about incremental features. Elon, and other visionaries who legitimately push the envelope, make their fortunes building things customers didn't know they needed. I do take your point that there's a certain low-cost quality-of-life-improving set of features which Tesla should implement. But 80% of their R&D should be on the big picture, and maintaining their lead.
So.. how much does Elon micromanage various decisions? Is it Elon or someone else deciding that the car cartoon needs to be bigger and therefore the map to be smaller.. or that defrost is fine to be 1 step removed? Or that the yoke shouldn’t be an option (or have touch controls on it).

And where’s the guy whom can decide that whole new efforts and teams are needed to deal with some of the (mostly software) issues? Eg why isn’t the car crowd souring map fixes? Why do we get performance (and fictional) regressions?

I agree with you, but when you have visionaries focusing on the details things can go wrong. Once the vision is on it’s why, get some talented folks to make it great. It’s a strength to understand where to draw that line …

So.. how much does Elon micromanage various decisions? Is it Elon or someone else deciding that the car cartoon needs to be bigger and therefore the map to be smaller.. or that defrost is fine to be 1 step removed? Or that the yoke shouldn’t be an option (or have touch controls on it).

And where’s the guy whom can decide that whole new efforts and teams are needed to deal with some of the (mostly software) issues? Eg why isn’t the car crowd souring map fixes? Why do we get performance (and fictional) regressions?

I agree with you, but when you have visionaries focusing on the details things can go wrong. Once the vision is on it’s why, get some talented folks to make it great. It’s a strength to understand where to draw that line …
I don’t know how much he micromanaged, but in Lex interview he specifically mentioned He and Karpathy get too much credit. It’s a big team with a lot of talented devs for sure. After all consistently Tesla is in top 10 companies engineers want to work for.

Anyway, since he tests all builds before they go to prod in his car, he will definitely have a big say and probably has formal reviews at design stage as well.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve