Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 749772
I heard these works the best
FYI,
Link to this item from Apple:

Polishing Cloth
1640826274053.png

Looks like the trajectory line in 10.8 is basically changing from the dotted line to a solid line with adjusted color/opacity. The wavy-ness seems unchanged as well as the neural network's desire to drive into oncoming traffic's inner left turn lane here:
View attachment 749820
My interpretation of that projected path is, FSD is going around truck turning into the right lane.

But it is as if various vehicles’ projected future positions are not considered. May be this explains why the projected path changes so much and is all over the place.

NoA still works in exactly the same places it always has- the beta has no impact on its use either way (other than potentially limiting max speed and follow distance because having the beta turns off radar for radar cars even on the highway).

The beta only operates on city streets and other non-limited-access non-freeway roads (places NoA does not).
It’s sort of picky, but a wrinkle is that traffic light controls are enabled in highway AP anytime FSD is enabled. I can’t use FSD on an area highway because it has train tracks down the middle with train control lights. The traffic control code will stop in the interstate if the lights are red. With FSD disabled and traffic control response disabled, this doesn’t happen.

Edit: the control code is most certainly the same as the non-FSD highway AP code. This is a settings thing just inheriting settings from FSD. But, just something to be aware for.

Edit 2: especially if your city has trains in an Interstate

Last edited:
You may not like Tok Tok or the fact that it is Chinese. However it is an important feature - the kids are gonna love it!

Kids sell cars.
It doesn’t really matter whether it’s Chinese or American. It’s a cancerous swamp of idiotic short videos that contribute to people’s ADHD. I can’t wait until it dies off just like Vine did. Anyway, it’s there, I don’t have to use it, but I would rather see software engineering efforts go to something more useful, maybe Pandora, or Apple Music, or YouTube Music. Orrrrrrrrr an AppStore for companies to be able to develop apps for the Tesla platform.

I would rather see software engineering efforts go to something more useful, maybe Pandora, or Apple Music, or YouTube Music. Orrrrrrrrr an AppStore for companies to be able to develop apps for the Tesla platform.
Well said!

Even better, how about giving 2017- 2020 Model S cars the same updated features that older model 3 and Y are getting.
There is no logical hardware reason why Tesla as innovative as it is wasn't able to give legacy s&x blind spot view, sentry mode view in the app and Light show. The need for outdoor speaker would not be a requirement if the internal sound is used with the windows down for Light show but may be a security problem for Sentry, just offer the visual and no PA sound unless the speaker is also offered as a paid addition.

I understand adding a speaker if you have the wiring harness connection does not activate Boom Box app.

Most of these limitations are software crippled by decision not by technology in the car.

My guess is there was lots of pressure on the team to rush 10.8 UI out for the holidays and Tesla team had to make decision to cut projects for them to meet a high pressure deadline. I didn't see any real improvement in the FSD beta of 10.8 vs 10.6.1. What was broken in 10.6.1 vs 10.5 was bug fixed in 10.8 which is the road markings for speed bumps. But, in my test the exact same speed bump failures had no improvement in 10.8. Putting the markings back that were there before is not an improvement. In a double speed bump 75 feet between them the second one is still ignored even though it is well marked, again.

The team has done an amazing job compared to a year ago, but the rate of progress to autonomy level 3 is a long way off yet Musk claims Level 4 by the end of 2022. Remember, he said we would have Level 5 Robotaxi before the end of 2020. Most people laugh at his projections, but there are always those who fantasize each new update is a huge improvement over the last one. Their own YT videos shows them to be delusional.

Meanwhile I fiond FSD beta to be pretty good on back country 2 lane roads with good lane markings and no turns at stop signs. That to me was a nice benefit of having FSD in 2021 over 2020.

Sorry for the rant but lets get some real improvement before rushing the next update and claiming it is amazing when it is not.

There is no logical hardware reason why Tesla as innovative as it is wasn't able to give legacy s&x blind spot view, sentry mode view in the app and Light show.
How do you know that for sure? Maybe the body controller isn't up to the light show task. Like the legacy Model S doesn't have the needed hardware to roll up the windows on its own.

However, I do think it should be able to handle the blind spot camera...

There’s a light show on refreshed S, the concern was no light show on the legacy S. I think the big factor that causes a lot of these software “problems” is the use of so many different “chips”. Having to recode the OS to function with all of the different processors has to be somewhat of a nightmare.

Reactions: K5TRX
I had a near miss today on 10.8. Driving south on 46, the car made the right turn on Gardendale Rd too fast and too wide and almost hit the car waiting to turn right onto 46 (black box). I yanked the steering wheel at the last minute and avoided the accident. FSD Beta never slowed down to make the turn. It steered a bit to the left like it was making a lane change, probably to give itself a wider turn radius, and then tried to make the turn at 50 mph!

Here is a google maps of the scene:

ps4HtrV.png

Just a warning that FSD Beta is not always good at turning from a fast speed road to a slow speed road. It can take the turn too fast and go too wide.
This just happened to me. Was traveling on a 55mph two lane country road with an upcoming right turn exactly as described in this post. The car barely slowed down and made the turn wide, crossing the center line by about 3 feet. Had there been a car there, I would have hit it. This is not an edge scenario but a basic, uncomplicated right turn. Hit the snapshot button for all the good that will do.

This just happened to me. Was traveling on a 55mph two lane country road with an upcoming right turn exactly as described in this post. The car barely slowed down and made the turn wide, crossing the center line by about 3 feet. Had there been a car there, I would have hit it. This is not an edge scenario but a basic, uncomplicated right turn. Hit the snapshot button for all the good that will do.

Thanks for sharing. This would seem like a fairly straightforward problem to solve: just tell the car to slow down before the turn. I know at lower speeds (20 mph), FSD Beta is capable of making that 90 degree turn correctly.

I always disengage if the car doesn’t slow as expected.

I wonder why this would happen - either an issue with the map or the car doesn’t know it is close to the turn. Also some possibility of a bad local minimum found by the planner.

Looks like about 50 more cars on Teslascope are either downloading or ready to install 10.8. Unsure if these are new inductees or prior ones that hadn't gotten the push yet.
On Teslafi it shows 150 pending install. Cars still on 10.6.1 and 10.5 is 80. So, even if all of them have been pushed new release, rest are new testers. There may be just a small number of testers in < 10.5 beta.