Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safety Score?

99 with 264 miles drive total on the car. Hit the enroll button the minute I took delivery on 22nd. I had one hard-breaking event which put me down to 99 two days ago.

cant wait to get off work and try it. Would love to compare it to my 2020 model S with FSD beta, which I did sell and tesla took FSD beta off when I removed the car from my account btw.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
FSD Beta is not currently a useful driver assist on city streets. AP/EAP/NOA Betas we're always useful as witnessed by the reduced accident data. In my opinion the FSD beta should not have had as wide a release. It is failing at basic tasks. We are not testing edge cases in the march of the 9's. I wonder if the California programmers think these A.J. Foyt maneuvers are normal?

the California programmers
Its not a "its perfect in California" thing - I'm in the heart of SoCal and FSD Beta still does lots of weird things. As to your comment of it not being a useful driver assist on city streets, I disagree - I know (mostly) where and in what situations FSD Beta will currently fail so I drop out of FSD and take over when I expect one of those scenarios, other than that, you just have be ready to take over at all times.

Got 10.8 this afternoon just in time to drive my regular 4:15 pm route to the Bee Cave Dog park. So far I am impressed with the progress. Smoother braking for sure - no hard phantom hits. Cars is more confident and left turn trajectory is much better. Overall the best improvement I have seen since I got the beta on version 10.3.1.

Perhaps it's because I have the legacy screen, but I like the new UI just fine, probably more than the old one. Really like the subwoofer control and the replacement of temp controls. One thing - my SSD drive is recognized but not being read now, so I can't look at sentry and the car says it cannot reformat it either. I will have to investigate further.
SSD Fixed
No, it is not. Elon said that single stack will come with v11. (Which is not very close to release from how I interpret what he was saying, it is currently in early alpha testing.)
Correct as per the recent Lex Friedman YouTube interview.

Correct as per the recent Lex Friedman YouTube interview.
Here is where he said it back in July.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.15.09 PM.png

Some protips for testing with FSD Beta 10.8 😉

- Swipe along the top above visualizations to avoid needing precise dragging from right edge
- Search for street names to add as waypoints to have FSD Beta take more complicated routes
- Waypoints added from the map are added as the next destination
- Navigation maintains existing route until you "save" Edited waypoints (e.g., remove the next stop without needing to park)
- Waypoints added from "Edit" are appended to the end

hi folks , just joining the party as one of the legacy , MS ( April build "new inventory" MS 90D now with all the FSD upgrades ( cameras too!) that waited , and waited ( and drove like a grandma to the point it changed my personal driving style with a 99 for more than 2 months) .... did I miss much? . I have some interesting FSD challenge spots I want to try and see what it will do ( i'll watch it like a hawk). I may get brave and take it into DC for city driving. wish me luck!

Now for a broad question: What (if any) communications are going to and from FSD activated cars and the Tesla mothership and when. How exactly is my car getting more sure of itself every day (if indeed it is). Curious
Your car isn't getting anything more than any other Tesla on Beta. Tesla's are not individual learners but more of an ant colony. Any learning is done by the Neural Net for the fleet and all " getting more sure" applies equally to every Tesla on Beta.

While we don't know all the details you car is sending/receiving packets of info from Tesla all the time and likely most pertinent info about a drive is communicated post drive.

Now for a broad question: What (if any) communications are going to and from FSD activated cars and the Tesla mothership and when. How exactly is my car getting more sure of itself every day (if indeed it is). Curious

It's not.

Firmware updates are the only thing that will change the driving code on the car- full updates where you click to install them and come out every few weeks.

Overall behavior can also change based on updated maps, because now it might know more info on which to execute the driving code, but the actual drive code only changes will full FW updates.

Cars don't learn, or change behavior, individually. Diagnosing any issues if they did would be a nightmare.

Instead they feed data Tesla is looking for back to HQ, where it's used to train the NNs and overall improve things (hopefully- sometimes they make them worse) for the next FW update.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Overall behavior can also change based on updated maps, because now it might know more info on which to execute the driving code, but the actual drive code only changes will full FW updates.
But map updates are even less frequent than FW updates.
Instead they feed data Tesla is looking for back to HQ, where it's used to train the NNs and overall improve things (hopefully- sometimes they make them worse) for the next FW update.
I got the distinct impression from Elon in the Lex Freidman interview that we can expect v11 to be "worse" before things get better. He said it was another "fundamental rewrites of the architecture," including removal of the video post-processing and building new neural network architecture to go from "surround video" (i.e. stitched together 8 camera pre-processed video) to vector-space generation all in NNs (removing the "giant bag of coins" that went to conventional C++ code). Of course, then the whole system will have to be retrained on this new vision stack, including converting the training data to surround video, so I am imagining v11 will bring new phantom braking, new crazy lane changes into oncoming traffic, new inexplicable stopping points at intersections, and such until it all gets shaken out. The NET-NET though will be reduced latency in the "photon-to-vector-space" generation. Frankly I was surprised because I thought a lot this (e.g., the 8-camera surround video and neural networks for vector-space generation) was already done in the current "pure vision" stack.

FSD Beta is not currently a useful driver assist on city streets. AP/EAP/NOA Betas we're always useful as witnessed by the reduced accident data. In my opinion the FSD beta should not have had as wide a release. It is failing at basic tasks. We are not testing edge cases in the march of the 9's. I wonder if the California programmers think these A.J. Foyt maneuvers are normal?
Totally agree with this comment. I had FSD beta for few months now. Though its good to brag with the friends and be part of the future , unfortunately at this point of the time, at the best it is " unusable" and in normal circumstances its mostly dangerous. Though there are very subtle improvements with each update, but still a long way to go, a really long way. I don't think its even possible with current hardware.

PS: I am on 10.8 now.