Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NoA only works if you have a destination set in the Nav right? I guess some people want AP but not NoA when they have a destination set in the Nav.

Yes. For me it’s “required” to shut off the nav part. Mostly due to what I would consider a bug that’s never been fixed. Nav makes many ok lane change decisions, but not always. It notifies that it wants to make a lane change and there’s a ‘cancel lane change’ button which basically doesn’t work. Oh it cancels the lane change, but a couple of seconds later the computer decides again to the thing you just canceled. Cancel it again.. seconds later it’s back. etc.. The argument with the driver continues until you drive far enough to get out of the situation (which can be a while) or the human decides it’s smarter and uses the other button to disconnect the Nav brain from working.

I have no idea why such an obvious and simple problem has never been fixed or worked on. It’s been this way for a few years and counting. Now I assume the issue is that the current stack is not touched while T tries to get the 1 stack in place.

Totally agree with this comment. I had FSD beta for few months now. Though its good to brag with the friends and be part of the future , unfortunately at this point of the time, at the best it is " unusable" and in normal circumstances its mostly dangerous. Though there are very subtle improvements with each update, but still a long way to go, a really long way. I don't think its even possible with current hardware.

PS: I am on 10.8 now.

Yeah, I think we def need better cameras.

FSD Beta is not currently a useful driver assist on city streets. AP/EAP/NOA Betas we're always useful as witnessed by the reduced accident data. In my opinion the FSD beta should not have had as wide a release. It is failing at basic tasks.
It’s not just beta. It’s early access beta. It is intended for testing - not to assist you in driving. A lot of us have been saying this for a while now.

Totally agree with this comment. I had FSD beta for few months now. Though its good to brag with the friends and be part of the future , unfortunately at this point of the time, at the best it is " unusable" and in normal circumstances its mostly dangerous. Though there are very subtle improvements with each update, but still a long way to go, a really long way. I don't think its even possible with current hardware.

PS: I am on 10.8 now.
It must depend upon where you are using it. I use it essentially all the time, and very frequently have no disengagements or interventions. Of course high traffic times frequently cause me to disengage out of courtesy for those behind me. Otherwise I let it do it’s thing.

Your assessment as “dangerous “ confuses me. How could you ever let it put you in such a situation?

Yes. For me it’s “required” to shut off the nav part. Mostly due to what I would consider a bug that’s never been fixed. Nav makes many ok lane change decisions, but not always. It notifies that it wants to make a lane change and there’s a ‘cancel lane change’ button which basically doesn’t work. Oh it cancels the lane change, but a couple of seconds later the computer decides again to the thing you just canceled. Cancel it again.. seconds later it’s back. etc.. The argument with the driver continues until you drive far enough to get out of the situation (which can be a while) or the human decides it’s smarter and uses the other button to disconnect the Nav brain from working.

I have no idea why such an obvious and simple problem has never been fixed or worked on. It’s been this way for a few years and counting. Now I assume the issue is that the current stack is not touched while T tries to get the 1 stack in place.
I’m confused, if you don’t like the auto lane change change the settings. I usually have it off or where I have to confirm the lane change. Seems pretty customizable to me

Attachments

• 9E270E07-1B95-4C3A-B339-9BFAC5F88BEF.jpeg
    9E270E07-1B95-4C3A-B339-9BFAC5F88BEF.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Love
Reactions: GWord and israndy
I’m confused, if you don’t like the auto lane change change the settings. I usually have it off or where I have to confirm the lane change. Seems pretty customizable to me

Yup. I leave it on and disable it when it messes up. It’s easily to toggle that part on & off on the fly from the navigation panel on top of the map. Works great… as opposed to the cancel button.

Is there a tutorial anywhere, giving a step-by-step approach to using way points? If possible, I am particularly interested in learning how I can alter the route used with FSD beta. If I prefer to turn earlier than the way routed, I now need ti disengage FSD, make the turn, and rhen reengage. It would be nice to have the route edited before I start out. (It would be even nicer if we could save these edited paths to use in the future.)

It must depend upon where you are using it. I use it essentially all the time, and very frequently have no disengagements or interventions. Of course high traffic times frequently cause me to disengage out of courtesy for those behind me. Otherwise I let it do it’s thing.

Your assessment as “dangerous “ confuses me. How could you ever let it put you in such a situation?
Yeah. Where and how. I can get from Stanford to Apple Park to downtown San Jose without disengaging. (With interference of slowing down during turns).

I can see both sides, definitely situational. But for me I haven’t had to disengage often, and when I do it’s usually for the courtesy of others around me as well.

So for those who says it’s unusable, your data maybe more valuable to make FSD better.
I don't think it's early access anymore if 10s of thousands have it
Probably still less than 1% of entire Tesla fleet. Plus it is still regional. And the fact that it is not “legal”.

Is there a tutorial anywhere, giving a step-by-step approach to using way points? If possible, I am particularly interested in learning how I can alter the route used with FSD beta. If I prefer to turn earlier than the way routed, I now need ti disengage FSD, make the turn, and rhen reengage. It would be nice to have the route edited before I start out. (It would be even nicer if we could save these edited paths to use in the future.)
Top result: How Tesla's 'Add a Stop' Feature (Waypoints) Works

For your specific need, sounds useful, let us know if you find anything. Thanks.

I don't think it's early access anymore if 10s of thousands have it
That is not the definition of early access.

Tesla calls it early access beta. And definitely those 25k people have been given access to beta earlier than 80k+ other people who paid for FSD.

Moreover, the state of the software definitely makes it more like early access than other Beta we have from Tesla.

I had the car roll thru a stop light yesterday, so it doesn't seem to think ahead about not having seen the light for a while. This light is the one going home to the island, so I do it almost daily and NEVER had AP or NoA try to drive thru a stale yellow, let alone blatantly thru a red. I was a little late trying to stop it, so I guess it's fine if I get the ticket for it. There were no other cars or I would have stopped it.

Just thought I'd post in case others have tree obscured red lights near you:

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 2.06.04 PM.png

Totally agree with this. As noted above after the 10.8 install I've had several no intervention drives. Sure it still does weird things but the overall behavior seems more improved with this release than others. It's also encouraging to see that things we are bringing up in here are being noted and worked on. And for those of us that have been using AP for a long time could you have imagined (even with the incorrect behaviour) the car driving itself from point A to point B with limited / no help?

It appears that the distinction between the old everlasting AP "beta" and FSD beta is not being recognized. This is the same thing that the trolls and short sellers in the media seem to keep pounding on. They want to portray FSD beta as a tool that is ready now to make driving easier and safer. And as we all know it can be just that or exactly the opposite depending on the situation. FSD beta seems to me to be a real beta test, which means that we have to be real beta testers. Some of us appear to be in the program just to brag about it, throw rocks or say that it will never work. I would argue that more are interested in spending the time and effort to give real feedback.

It's not clear that the "things we are bringing up" are being worked on enough. Progress on unprotected turns and inappropriate turning speeds is agonizingly slow. This is what this FSD beta was for; turning and city streets. I have used autopilots for 60 years in boats, airliners and now cars. I'm also an EE so I understand servo systems and their design. Musk said learning and progress would be fast and it isn't. I'm leaving FSD beta turned on and it seems to be a little smoother aside from the slowdowns and big glitches but I can rarely allow it to make a turn in my tourist season Florida resort town.

I have finally been chosen for the FSD crash test dummy program. I only have 5 miles on it, it did some very impressive things in the short distance but it also had a big fail. I want to know if this is a bug or feature not added yet?

Anyway I was driving on one of the Bay Area expressways, I decided to head home after my initial 2 miles run. When I changed the map to home, the car failed to make a U turn to get me back home at the stop light. It simply took a left and took me in a big circle instead of making a simple U. It's not a huge deal, but just want to know if this is a bug or something not programed yet.

I have a pre raven 2019 MX. I found the FSD UI screen to be a little choppy. Is that normal? It seems to go less smooth than some of the Plaid videos I see