Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.9 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it phantom braking/swerving for say mailboxes that FSD Beta believes is a pedestrian? The mailbox is clearly observable but also clearly not actually a vulnerable road user (just that people are more likely to be standing near mailboxes).

These types of false positives can result in unexpected FSD Beta behaviors, so if the release notes mention improved precision, it should help reduce instances of what some people might associate with phantom braking.

That's why I said "observable or logical" in my earlier post. Braking for a mailbox is not logical and would be considered phantom braking by my definition. Braking for anticipating a child running onto the street IS logical and therefore not phantom braking, even if no collision occurs.

Reactions: Ramphex and Sporty
Just FSD stuff In 10.9. No Heat pump, XM Sirius, map updates. The 2021 MSP still shows limited to Three Disables rather than 5.

2C8ECBF7-97BE-4147-9EB9-E4D082460DA7.jpeg

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Phlier and 101dals
Just got it. On the first drive I pressed the record button four times in ten minutes.

1: for changing into a lane with a stopped car and almost running into it.

2: for going straight through an intersection it was supposed to turn at.

3: for trying to turn onto a street that was above while it was on an underpass.

4: for jerking into oncoming traffic after coming to the top of a hill.

I’ll wait for the next version before I test again. It may be getting better, but at this rate, we are not approaching the safety of a human driver on streets any time soon :(

Last edited:
Just got it. On the first drive I pressed the record button four times in ten minutes.

3: for trying to turn onto a street that was above it was it was on an underpass.

I’ll wait for the next version before I test again. It may be getting better, but at this rate, we are not approaching the safety of a human driver on streets any time soon :(

For context, what was the weather there like? I assume it was still bright on the west coast?

The real question, for you specifically, is did Tesla sanitize their database inputs? :D

3: for trying to turn onto a street that was above it was it was on an underpass.

Do you have any current map accuracy issues?

My maps still appear to be old. But I am driving in an area with no changes in the last couple of years. My car was showing my location correctly on the map.

It was night when I was driving, with lots of street lights, and I cleaned and dried my cameras beforehand (a bit obsessive, but I think it makes a difference).

And I hope the devs have that xkcd in their heads when working on databases :)

3: for trying to turn onto a street that was above while it was on an underpass.

I know this is anectodal but I've always found that the more I drive a release the more comfortable I am with it. Sometimes it seems to improve over time and no I'm not suggesting it's learning on it's own because we know that isn't true but I always wonder if there isn't some caching going on that helps. I'd suggest recalibrating your cameras, restart the UI and cycle power then try another drive. Did you get the map update? If not I'd definitely suggest taking another drive when that happens. Have you just taken single drives before and then stopped testing?

Reactions: momo3605
As someone with a 400-mile 99 safety score, I'm watching the "Previously installed version" data on Teslafi's 44.30.10 page. So far, and as fully expected, 100% of installs have been from 44.30.5, i.e. people already in the beta.

This is why I'm always jealous of the cali people.

It consistently performs better there.

I'm sure you will get into FSD soon enough. There's a slim chance you may still not get into 10.9 but I'm sure everyone with a decent score will get in to V11.

As a last resort, open a software ticket and just ask "what's up?". You shouldn't have any expectations, but someone may take a note that you've been sitting on the sidelines for this beta program long enough. The frontline ticket responders cannot do anything about it, but your concerns will still be documented in their internal system.

I'm not expecting to move from 44.30.5 to 44.30.10 until the next few days if my past history holds the 4-7 days after release pattern.

Reactions: israndy and JHCCAZ