Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.9 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure is interesting to see one driver's experience across versions, but 0.04 disengagements per mile is VERY different from my personal experience. I have FSD engaged for > 95% of my 30-minute all-non-highway commute every weekday, and I love using it, but I think my disengagement rate is roughly 1 disengagement/mile, and it's been pretty constant through the last several versions aside from a big increase on 10.8/10.8.1, which couldn't complete a right turn without crossing the yellow line and also wanted to cross solid lines to drive on the shoulder approaching a right turn (I haven't had the chance to drive 10.9 much yet to verify if these are fixed).

I think over 90% of my disengagements fall into one of these categories:
- Mis-classifies mailbox as a pedestrian and wanted to cross double yellow line to give the "pedestrian" appropriate space (usually it's those thick plastic mailboxes like this one)
- Tries to cross double yellow line to go around queue of cars in front waiting at a stop sign or traffic light that is out of sight (around a corner or over a hill)
- Poor lane selection (got into a turn lane when going straight, changed into a lane that ends in a few hundred feet, changed lanes away from an upcoming turn within 0.5 mile of the turn or sometimes within a few hundred feet of the turn)
- Doesn't stay right on roads with no yellow center line, especially at stop signs where it would prevent other cars from turning onto the road I'm leaving.
- Approaches sharp turns wayyy too fast (45 mph speed limit technically, but yellow warning signs indicate 15 mph is appropriate for this curve)

So I suppose if the roads in the area of that other driver don't have that big plastic mailbox type, or roads with stop signs / traffic lights can be out of sight when queueing, or unmarked roads, or medium speed roads with some extra sharp turns, I could believe 0.04 disengagements/mile, but it sure doesn't work that way where I drive.
Are you reporting these things using the FSD report button? That's how to get them fixed! :)

I just used FSD beta from my house to Big Bear Mountain Ski Resort and back. I was very surprised it handle it well. It did 2 major mistakes, 2 minors, and 2 slow decisions. Overall, I was very impressed.

2 Major mistakes were caused by pickup trucks not following traffic laws and drove like idiots. One was in the left turning lane to skip traffic and cut me off as he bullied his way into my lane which was going straight. As a human, I saw that one coming, but FSD reacted late and swerved to the right and slammed on the brakes. Another major ones, I was going straight and a pickup truck didn't stop at a stop sign and forced his way into my lane to make a left. As a human, I would have already slowed down, but FSD swerved to on-coming traffic, and I took over right before the truck hit me.

2 Minor ones where the car crossed double yellow doing a couple of tight turns where we were all going slower than the speed limit.

2 slow decisions were passing big rigs doing 20 mph, and I was leapped frogged by 20+ cars. I had to manually take over to pass the trucks.

Last edited:
I just used FSD beta from my house to Big Bear Mountain Ski Resort and back. I was very surprised it handle it well. It did 2 major mistakes, 2 minors, and 2 slow decisions. Overall, I was very impressed.

2 Major mistakes were caused by pickup trucks not following traffic laws and drove like idiots. One was in the left turning lane to skip traffic and cut me off as he bullied his way into my lane which was going straight. As a human, I saw that one coming, but FSD reacted late and swerved to the right and slammed on the brakes. Another major ones, I was going straight and a pickup truck didn't stop at a stop sign and forced his way into my lane to make a left. As a human, I would have already slowed down, but FSD swerved to on-coming traffic, and I took over right before the truck hit me.

2 Minor ones where the car crossed double yellow doing a couple of tight turns where we were all going slower than the speed limit.

2 slow decisions were passing big rigs doing 20 mph, and I was leapped frogged by 20+ cars. I had to manually take over to pass the trucks.
How much did you get paid for risking your car, neck and family? So much for a relaxing week end drive to the mountains. But you have the honor of knowing you have served the Elon Land. I know, it's for the greater good.

Had the update for awhile now and just completed a round trip 4 hr drive. A few things I noticed:

1. I had a number of nag alerts that could not be dismissed by steering wheel tug, thumbwheels or left stalk down (model y). I disengaged and re-engaged fsd each time. This was something that had occurred on earlier builds but seemed to be fixed during later updates. Seems it is back for me.

2. It now appears there is a grace amount of speed > 80 mph. Previously fsd would disengage as soon as I went over 80 mph. This time it let me get a few mph over while I was passing someone. Going way over did get the pink wheel disengage and fsd lockout.

3. Interestingly I switched profiles to a non fsd beta enabled one cheafter the lockout and was able to use regular autosteer/cruise control. Then switched back to the fsd profile and fsd worked. Upon completion of my trip, it did not appear the lockout was counted against me.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
They have 10,000 labelers (not on contract, but apparently "internal"). They could potentially handle 300k clips a day - 30 per person. If each takes 5 minutes, still about 3 hours of the day. If labeling these are a large part of their job, they can do it ... but if its a small part (i.e. Tesla wants them to label mostly some other images/clips, it won't be possible).
What is your source for this info?

Just for reference Tesla has *70,000 employees world wide. So lets (optimistically) assume about ½ (35K) are in the US. Also clips come in 7 days a week and employees work on average a little under 5 days a week (holidays, vacations, time off, etc). So you are saying that about ¼ of Tesla's entire US staff (Mechanics, Assembly line, Delivery personal, etc.) spends about ½ of their working time watching Beta clips?

That is almost 11,000,000 man-hours a year or about $500,000.00 in cost.

*Tesla SEC filing: “As of December 31, 2020, our full-time count for our and our subsidiaries’ employees worldwide was 70,757..."

Clearly this is not the case.

Last edited:
I misremembered - it is actually 1,000 labelers.

I think that makes it 300 clips a day per labeler. AT 5 minutes, clearly not possible. They need some way to reduce automatically label those and for labelers to look at only critical ones.

The Auto-labeler - which they use. Dojo will allow for higher efficiencies of the auto-labeler. Some labeling is done by humans and some are handled by an algorithm.

The Auto-labeler - which they use. Dojo will allow for higher efficiencies of the auto-labeler. Some labeling is done by humans and some are handled by an algorithm.
I’m wondering if they use the auto labeler to label all videos and the 1k humans are used only to review auto-labeled clips and verify that they‘ve been labeled correctly as a kind of quality control?

Reactions: Khashoggi
I have been monitoring my car’s network traffic, and it doesn’t appear that the camera-clip-button-presses have been uploading data for about a week. This may be just a bug with my car (or maybe they are tired of reviewing my button presses). Anyone seeing the normal 2gig upload with each camera button press, or has it stopped for others?

How much did you get paid for risking your car, neck and family? So much for a relaxing week end drive to the mountains. But you have the honor of knowing you have served the Elon Land. I know, it's for the greater good.

There wasn't any risk since my hands were on the wheel. FSD will go over double yellow by a couple of inches and was easy to reel it back in. The pickup truck in front of me by a few cars slammed into the side of the mountain when we were going down. She was looking at the sun set. All air bags deployed.
20220129_172142-01.jpeg

I’m wondering if they use the auto labeler to label all videos and the 1k humans are used only to review auto-labeled clips and verify that they‘ve been labeled correctly as a kind of quality control?
[conjecture]I bet they only check a few at random, like 1% just for quality control. Probably the Auto Labeling checks for common events like Right Turn on Red at a No Turn on Red intersection (bet they get 1000's of this event each day and easily labeled). It probably flags events that are unusual/edge, violent or that it can't identify and theses are sent to the humans to look over. Likely the identified clips (maybe <>95%) are sorted and aggregated into a "bucket" of similar events (like the Right at a No Turn) then analyzed as a group for improvements or changes that can be made.

I love how there is zero evidence of Tesla ever reviewing any clip or email, but people keep diligently working.

I say this as not being all that different.

I hit the button
I email

In a way its like trying to attract a mate.

You put effort into how you look
You get new clothes
You get a new haircut
You figure if you put in the work that they'll notice you.
You get together with your buddies to work on strategy, and to compare notes. You hope that maybe someone had success.

At the end of the day they never do, and you're left wondering if all that was worth it. Then you wonder if maybe the entire point was just to go through it because it made you feel like you were a part of something despite the fact that you were simply an imposter.

Last edited:
TL;DR: disengagements per mile go from 0.22 to 0.04.

What's the math to covert that into miles per disengagements? Seems like an easier number to understand.

If it's 0.25 that's 4 miles per, if it's 0.5 that's 2 miles per, so 0.05 would be 20 miles per

So went from more than 4 miles per to more than 20 miles per

converting "disengagements per mile" to "miles per disengagement" is simply the reciprocal fraction..... You seemed to have intuitively figured it out.

0.22 disengagements per [1] mile = 0.22/1. Reciprocal would be 1/0.22 = ~4.5mi/disengagement. if you just write the fraction the same way as you write the units: disengagements/mile vs miles/disengagements. in the former, disengagements is on top; in the latter, miles is on top.