TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

10 days in WI/IL/MI - zero Teslas at any supercharger

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Feb 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. calisnow

calisnow Banned

Well it is now 2017, and FWIW I've spent the last 10 days driving around and have repeatedly been at the following superchargers:

Wasau WI
    Madison WI
    Eau Claire WI
    Oakdale MN
    Pleasant Prairie IL
    St Joseph MI
    Grand Rapids MI

That's fourteen supercharger stops and zero Teslas. I feel like the Maytag repairman. Hopefully Model 3 will change the scene up here. It sure ain't Cali.

• Informative x 1
  2. Takumi

Takumi Member

What time and day did you hit those SpCs?

3. calisnow

calisnow Banned

Well I'm at one right now and it is midnight. Some were during the day, others mid evening. You have a point.

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

You should do a screenshot of the map showing all the empty Supercharger slots. :)

5. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

too bad. flyover country has higher automotive use -- longer distances to drive -- more fuel to waste. But they are slow to get with the program.

6. calisnow

calisnow Banned

I'll say this. I'm starting to see the value in unlimited supercharging if you drive a lot and like to go fast.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  7. Meursault

Meursault Member

I drive IL to MI (and back again) very often and usually the St Joseph stop has one or two cars charging. It is a bottleneck if you look at the map of other chargers on a route to northern MI. So far no issue in finding a spot but on holiday weekends I am usually sharing a charger.

8. whitex

whitex Active Member

I did a Seattle-Toronto-Seattle round trip last October. Here are all the superchargers I visited on the return leg of the trip over a 4 day span (most of those were along the I-90).
    SC Toronto-Seattle.jpg

• Like x 5
  9. croman

croman Active Member

Fly over country? That's the kind of arrogance that turns people off to the coastal elitists.

• Like x 2
  10. oktane

oktane Active Member

What was your charging rate?

11. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I have never seen a full SpC in WI or IL, however I would describe my experience as averaging 25% full (i.e. 1-2 other cars).

This is not significantly different from our experience on the drive from Sacramento to Wisconsin - never full, typically 1-2 other cars.

Selfishly, I hope it stays this way :)

12. democappy

democappy Member

I grew up in Wisconsin and I still think of it as fly over country. However, I did immediately leave the Midwest after college so maybe I am also a little biased :)

13. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I've been to the Highland Park, IL supercharger when it's been full a few times. I've also seen Madison full once.

14. ElectricTundra

#14 ElectricTundra, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    At one time the Minneapolis Tesla store was one of the busiest in the country (seems like they were 11th with 42/mo IIRC) based on deliveries / mo. Or course we're a bit different here. Mike over in Wisconsin hauls hay in his S, Henry down in Ortonville delivers the mail in his, and we have a sheep farmer who hauls a trailer to feed sheep and carry injured ones to the vet in his X. There's a nasty rumor that a guy in North Dakota modified his X to add an electric PTO.

Keep in mind that our women are strong, our men are good looking, and our children above average. :)

@whitex and @calisnow, that's similar to what I've experienced everywhere except on the coasts. And even on the coasts it's only a handful of chargers that ever seem to be full.

Madison only has 3 stalls so it doesn't take much to fill it up. Hopefully they'll expand it sometime soon.

BTW, if you get a chance please add comments on places nearby the chargers in Chargerville so others of us can benefit.

• Like x 2
  15. croman

croman Active Member

Highland park is almost always full.

• Like x 1
  16. thx1139

thx1139 Member

We are headed to visit son at Michigan State University tomorrow. St. Joseph is a regular stop. We also regularly use the Madison SC when we visit our older son at UW-Madison. During nicer weather the St. Joseph often has 3-4 Tesla's charging. We have been at Madison with 3 as well. Worry about the Madison charger because think it only has 3 chargers.

17. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Careful what you wish for.....

• Like x 1