TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

10 EV chargers installed in Zions National Park (UTAH)

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Linux64, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Linux64

Linux64 Member

#1 Linux64, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    10 EV chargers installed in Zion National Park (UTAH)

"The charging stations are located at the Zion Canyon Visitor Center and Kolob Canyons Visitor Center. To use the chargers, visitors must purchase an access code at either location for $5. The code is valid for three days of unlimited use."

"Two additional charging stations at Pipe Spring National Monument are still a work in progress"

"As part of an ongoing sustainability effort, Xanterra Parks & Resorts recently installed two additional EV charging stations at the Zion Lodge."

Read more:Iron County Today - EV chargers in Zion a step toward a cleaner Southern Utah

2. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Looks like Clipper Creek stations. So probably 30amp?

3. ev-enthusiast

ev-enthusiast Active Member

I was always waiting for this to happen as I think that EVs and National Parks are a perfect match;)
    Driving an environmentally friendly car in a beautiful environment:)

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Great news, thanks. I am taking my Model S to Zion for the week between Christmas and New Years.

5. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

6. KJD

KJD Member

Excellent news. It would be great to see these at more National Parks.

7. cottylowry

cottylowry 2013 Model S

We just finished a 3,500 mile trip, Minneapolis to Spokane and back. ON the return, we stopped in Yellowstone for 2 nights and 3 days. Due to lack of chargers in Yellowstone, we stayed at a very nice West Yellowstone RV park, leaving the car there to charge 120v, 30A and took a one day bus tour through the main loop of the park -- Old Faithful, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, etc. Had we been able to charge at 220V 30 or even better 50A, we would have driven a lot more and would have been able to enter and exit the park in a more efficient direction back to I-90 and out trip home. We were astonished that there are no charging facilities in Yellowstone.

8. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

National parks are a natural for chargers but have been dragging their feet. Zion is one of the most progressive parks so good to see this.
    We were in West Yellowstone last month and charged by plugging into the motel AC outlet which gave 240v 12a for 9 mph... Enough to get us to Jackson.

9. Bound466

Bound466 Member

We used the charger at the lodge for free back in March (see photo below) and then used the charger at the visitor center when we returned in May (I thought we paid $10, but I can't remember for sure - $5 makes more sense). But it is great that Zion has this option. Also, there is a supercharger in Moab, so visiting Arches and the other parks near Moab is easy to do. We love visiting Utah in our Tesla for those reasons.

261982c9549a412d528088481c724c54.jpg

10. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado Member

Yes, Moab is the perfect gateway to Arches and Canyonlands. And the next Supercharger station south of Moab is in Blanding, which is an easy drive to Natural Bridges National Monument. Blanding to Green River the long way via SH 95 and SH 24 — 183 miles — is also quite scenic, in my experience:

Blanding UT to Green River UT via Hanksville

I mention it because it is off the beaten track.