Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10 Knee jerk thoughts after pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was referring to your reference on rear windshield not the comfort of the headrests.

Ah! Sorry, read too many posts. It's not completely useless (e.g X6) and it's not Tesla specific or something I can't get used to (already am) Just my immediate thoughts and reactions. I feel like only 1/3 of my rear view is visible out of it with the headrests.

Attached is the view from my seat.

Attachments

• IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 148
Ah! Sorry, read too many posts. It's not completely useless (e.g X6) and it's not Tesla specific or something I can't get used to (already am) Just my immediate thoughts and reactions. I feel like only 1/3 of my rear view is visible out of it with the headrests.

Attached is the view from my seat.

Why do you need to see out the back window? If you are driving right, everything is just getting smaller and smaller ;).

As a soon-to-be Model X75D owner I am extremely jealous of your coil suspension. I have coil suspension envy! I was forced into the SAS option which has delayed delivery of our car 10 months. Technically, using air bladders for spring rate, whether on a mountain bike or on a automobile, is never the best solution if ultimate performance is the goal. Yes, a wound steel coil weighs more then "air" but the predictable and repeatable spring rate makes coil or metal sprung suspensions the best when it comes to controlled suspension performance. This is why virtually no race cars use air as a suspension solution. Plus, coil suspension allows you, the owner, the possibility of future modification including adding or subtracting ride height or changing the spring rate so that the car can ride softer or firmer. You could contact a company such as Ground Control (Ground Control Suspension Systems) and have them make you a progressive spring that will not only improve the ride but wlll give the car equivalent handling characteristics. That was my plan with the X but that option came off the table when they forced us into the crappy SAS option. Be very happy with your coil....

1. All glass roof is with EVERY penny. We were back and forth and very glad we opted for it. We actually think this should cost more than the pano.

3. Fit and finish is pretty bad. Everything looks impressive, quality of materials is fine. But the definitely minor things reduce the overall quality of the final product

5. Range anxiety kicked in about 20minutes from home. We still had over 120 miles left, but something psychological about picking up over 200 and realizing we're soon in double digits.

6. The park distance with inches remaining is awesome.

9. The rear windshield is near useless. The back seat headrests block almost everything.

Congratulations on your new car. I picked up my Model S yesterday.

I'm envious of your all glass roof. I got the Pano Roof. When Tesla announced the All Glass Roof, I inquired about changing, but my Sales Advisor said it was likely too late and that I'd have to refuse the car thereby losing my deposit, then reconfigure another car, put down another deposit, and wait another several weeks. I just wanted my car, so I said I'd stick with the Pano Roof. Glass you are happy with yours!

Sorry you aren't happy with the fit and finish of your car. I actually think mine looks pretty great. But I'm coming from a Fisker Karma which was plagued with rattles and mis-aligned stitching on seats, and large gaps between body panels. I will, however, happily bash the center console. That thing is so poorly constructed, so cheap, and so badly arranged. I hate it. The rest of my interior looks great though.

I'm curious regarding your range anxiety. Have you ever owned an EV before? I ask because, having driven a P-HEV for the past few years, I'm wondering how much the range anxiety is going to kick in for me or if, perhaps, I'll be totally accustomed to it and able to relax about it?

I discovered today that Park Distance Control gives you the distance in inches. Why didn't someone think of that before?!?!

So I'm not the only one wondering what they were thinking with those immovable rear seat headrests?! I cannot see over them, but I also have my driver's seat positioned as low as it will go so there's that. I'm probably going to get more use out of that rear camera than I imagined.

Congrats again on your car. I hope you like it as much as I think I am going to like mine.

I'm curious regarding your range anxiety. Have you ever owned an EV before

First EV. Previous cars were oil & gas burners. I've also had some ICE cars that only got 200-250 miles range, this isn't that far off; so I know it's completely irrational. A couple days in and this is starting to fade already.

Have you tried folding the rear seat down ... visibility problem solved :cool:

I have, but then I couldn't reach the LATCH anchors for the two car seats.

Then I left one home, but the kid I brought with me has severe OCD; and for 15 minutes all I saw in the rear view was an arm waving at me; pointing at the folded seat, and saying "uh oh.." over and over again....

..I'm pretty sure I prefer to have the visibility problem. :)

Last edited:
You didn't give your location, so I will ask!

Are you in a warm or cooler climate in the summer time?

If warm, i am sure this upcoming summer will be a true test! The view must be beautiful though!

I'm in the NE, so I will get both hot & cold. I've had several large pano roofs before, and they have gotten pretty warm; but the tint on the all-glass is much darker. I should also note, the Tesla has been impressive in terms of temperature control (at least for the front seats) I've been in other EVs before that would stay cold, the Tesla is always toasty and gets up to temp at an impressive rate. I'm hoping it will be the same with the AC in the summer.

Since I'm here...
3 weeks in and a couple thousand miles on the car (we drove a lot during the holidays)

Using the 120V plug: We have an issue with our garage doors, preventing us access to our HPWC. As an alternative, we had to use a 120V outdoor plug. This was the only time we had some serious range anxiety as it just wouldn't charge in time (4mi/hr) and we were left with no more than ~130mi of rated range each time we set off. That was a sketchy week and left us hunting constantly on plugshare and chargepoint as there were no nearby superchargers. This made for a seriously miserable ownership experience.

DIY installed a NEMA 14-50 outdoor plug as an alternative (6/3 Romex; 50amp breaker, conduit, outdoor plug - to code & permitted pending inspection) Total cost was just under $100 excluding permits. After using this for a couple of days, I have decided a HPWC is unnecessary. A HPWC is cleaner, but the cable works just fine. The rate is acceptable and not that far off from the HPWC; both achieving a full charge in roughly 4.5 hours from empty. Aside from load balancing if you have 2 Tesla's, you can save some money and install a 14-50.

Also, while we unplugged and brought our cord with us every time we used it; we never once needed it for our charges outside of home. We did however need some of the adapters (but didn't need the 14-50 adapter) I thought we would need either a HPWC or a spare cable, but the reality is most chargers have existing cables. So far it doesn't seem like we really needed the HPWC nor an extra mobile cord.

Everything else for the most part is still the same.

All Glass Roof is still amazing every time I look at it. As a front driver/passenger, there isn't much time to look at it though.

Premium Package is missed only for the trunk lighting, but I do recommend purchasing Abstract Ocean LEDs to install in the trunk. They made a tremendous difference for $40 instead of the thousands on the PUP.

Subzero Package is used frequently by us for the heated steering wheel. We have not needed the nozzles yet nor the rear seat heaters. However, the steering wheel gets too hot sometimes and ends up with us cycling the heater on and off. I'm hoping for a UI update that allows a temperature setting.

Smart Air Suspension 99% of the time I'm ok with the standard suspension. Every now and then, I do with I had an adaptive air suspension.

High Fidelity Sound System still don't miss it. Standard audio is fine for me (non-audiophile) The one caveat is that I ALWAYS notice when the equalizer resets, it sounds like crap. After I adjust it, it's perfectly acceptable.

There's a couple of other minor things, but I'll keep it to being ordering relevant.

I didn't get the Smart Air Suspension because the ride quality is the same as coils. The only difference is the raising and lowering based on certain circumstances. That wouldn't affect you. Honestly you'll find it a lot smoother when its not winter and cold.

I see this quoted a lot and frankly it couldn't be further from my experience. I went from a 2010 Toyota Camry to a Model S 90D, and believe me the difference was incredible. Moreover, I test drove both coils and smart air suspension and noticed a rather large difference even around the test drive area. I do agree that you may not notice a difference on typical streets without and pot-holes, speed bumps, grooved edges or anything similar. When you do experience these things though, the coils transmit every inch of shock felt directly to your body, where as the SAS mitigates it wonderfully. I was on the fence reading the comments here, and I'm so glad I suck with my SAS.

For the record I live in Northern VA where there is a ton of construction going on at all times, so your experience may be different depending on where you live.

I'm in the NE, so I will get both hot & cold. I've had several large pano roofs before, and they have gotten pretty warm; but the tint on the all-glass is much darker. I should also note, the Tesla has been impressive in terms of temperature control (at least for the front seats) I've been in other EVs before that would stay cold, the Tesla is always toasty and gets up to temp at an impressive rate. I'm hoping it will be the same with the AC in the summer.

Thanks for the update!

I live in the Dallas, Texas area, and as you know, in the summer, we will see temps of 100+!

I have watched a lot of YouTube channels and see that there is a sun shade that you can get for the roof as well!

I just wanted to make sure if all of the glass would make for a very uncomfortable ride in the summer!

Thanks for the update!

I live in the Dallas, Texas area, and as you know, in the summer, we will see temps of 100+!

I have watched a lot of YouTube channels and see that there is a sun shade that you can get for the roof as well!

I just wanted to make sure if all of the glass would make for a very uncomfortable ride in the summer!
I'm in Austin, which can get even hotter than Dallas, and have driven the Model S with panoramic roof for four summers. It's not a problem. I have heat rejection film on the side and rear windows, but the pano roof is tinted enough to not need it. A great feature of the car is, since it's an EV, you can turn the A/C on remotely and cool it down before you get it. When you're parked at a shopping mall, for example, turn the A/C on with the app just before you leave the store.

Reactions: RScottyL
Surely the wheel size has more to do with the ride than the air vs coils debate. I assume that the 21" are pretty harsh on a bad surface, the 19" better, but still that isn't a lot of rubber on either wall to absorb potholes?

Both my car and my test drive car were on 19s. I loved the look of the 21s, but not enough to tolerate the ride on winter beaten roads.

Surely the wheel size has more to do with the ride than the air vs coils debate. I assume that the 21" are pretty harsh on a bad surface, the 19" better, but still that isn't a lot of rubber on either wall to absorb potholes?

I've only driven on coils with 19s, and I remember thinking the ride was ever so slightly "bouncier"...but not in a harsh way. As far as potholes go, I don't know how 19s would perform, but I can tell you that the 21s on my P85 absorb pothole impacts just fine...I've only ever popped one tire, but every one of my wheels has been bent out of round.

For my next Tesla (90D delivery this month) I had no hesitation going for the SAS and 19" wheels.