Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$10 Month for Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any Model S owners received an email about this?

Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.

Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X), and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.

Tesla starts charging $10 a month for its 'premium connectivity' features — Electrek

A lot cheaper than GM charges for OnStar.

Tesla might as well not even mention the broken browser unless they plan to fix it on MCU1.

But premium is free for life for all cars ordered before June 30 2018. So you will continue to get free use of the browser that doesn't work.

edit: What does this mean outside of the US: Canadians will pay $13 per month? 10 Euros in Europe?

• Funny
Reactions: shellderp and RayW
I think the cutoff date they picked seems somewhat arbitrary. For the Model S/X I think it would have made more sense to coincide with the price drop/Raven introduction (Spring 2019). Also, and this is just opinion, it would be nice for them to continue to give Premium Internet to S/X as differentiator between them and the 3/Y.

That said, I think $10/month is still worth it.

The only thing in the premium package I would miss and that has any value to me is the traffic visualization. Pretty sheisty that’s a “premium” feature as the bandwidth required is practically zero.

But that’s not worth $10/month, so I’ll live workout whenever my time is up.

Has any Model S owners received an email about this?

Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.

Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X), and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.

Tesla starts charging $10 a month for its 'premium connectivity' features — Electrek

I have a 2013 and 2014 S, I have not gotten any emails.

The only thing in the premium package I would miss and that has any value to me is the traffic visualization. Pretty sheisty that’s a “premium” feature as the bandwidth required is practically zero.

But that’s not worth $10/month, so I’ll live workout whenever my time is up.

I suspect it's more than traffic "visualization." With no premium connectivity I'm assuming that traffic-based navigation routing would not work (must have in LA). And without streaming music, we would lose slacker and spotify. Finally, the web browser is important to me just for Tesla Waze.

I suspect it's more than traffic "visualization." With no premium connectivity I'm assuming that traffic-based navigation routing would not work (must have in LA). And without streaming music, we would lose slacker and spotify. Finally, the web browser is important to me just for Tesla Waze.

I really doubt that. Tesla navigation uses Google Map navigation. And traffic info is built into Google Map navigation for free. So I doubt that Google will make a separate routing scheme just for Tesla users without premium connectivity.

Just got this notice. I wonder if Tesla broadcast it to everyone even if their car is an older ‘free’ one?

Looks like we will have to pay for our November 2018 Model 3 but not our 2014 S.

I expect this is going to turn into a replay of the unlimited free supercharging being removed from used cars drama.

I have a 2013 and 2014 S, I have not gotten any emails.

2018 February model S here and have not seen the message. I can tell you though, that I would be upset if they were to charge me $9.95/month for internet connectivity for a browser that in essence does not work. Now if the browser actually worked, I wouldn't mind the charge as it is cheaper than OnStar, Entune (Toyota) and Enform (Lexus).

Reactions: mahagala
I bought a 2015 CPO 85D in January 2019
Just checked my account and says my free premium will end on 12/31/19. Kind of a bummer

Wait up.

So if you buy a used MS privately you get to keep all the original features, but if you buy a Tesla CPO then you lose them.
That can't be right can it?

How many people buying CPO are aware of this, I bet most (myself included and now cursing my stupidity) just think you are buying a used car with it's original spec. How cery wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec