Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$10 Month for Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a used 2015 S in Sept 2018, my account says nothing about premium connectivity and I still have it. I looked through all my saved sales docs and they sent me the original monroney sticker and it says it includes "wireless and mobile connectivity" and I thought it was included for life and was never told differently so if they change that I would fight it(out of principle not the $120/year)
I also bought 2015 MS used from Tesla. I am willing to fight it as well!

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
My personal sale Nov and Dec S I bought in 18 show free premium connectivity. However I've lost my battery and motor warranty. But at least I can plug a trickle charger in and listen to the radio and surf the web.

upload_2019-12-12_21-14-11.png

When I took delivery of my first Tesla, I asked about the cellular data plan and what the deal was, when I would have to start paying (this was in 2017), because I hadn't heard nor read anything about it. They told me they'd heard a few times in the past that they were going to start charging for it, but never with a specific date other than "in the future", so I guess I've always been waiting for this to happen.

I also bought 2015 MS used from Tesla. I am willing to fight it as well!

Super shady business practice to not tell Used MS owners who bought after July 2018 about the new charges (I am one of those, bought mine in May 2019). Mind blowing to me that they are even thinking about charging MCU1 owners for this plan. I can only think of 2 reasons they would charge MCU1 owners
  1. They are trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of Tesla owners
  2. There are some future plans to upgrade MCU1 to MCU1.5/2/3+ and therefor actual data usage might be possible.
They are obviously "changing the rules" since my car has Premium connectivity(Satellite and streaming) but their current policy, which is different than when i bought my car, says that I shouldn't have it:

TeslaConnect.JPG
maps

Heck, even the used car pictures from their website shows my car with Satellite maps (as they should). Gonna be interesting going forward with this new policy since a current car on their website shows the upgraded maps (Although it appears they are trying to hide the map screen unlike what they have done in the past but you can still see it through the transparent window):
2016 Model S | Tesla
2016 Model S | Tesla

I wonder how that will work to sell a car showing pictures with features that don't come with it?

Last edited:
Super shady business practice to not tell Used MS owners who bought after July 2018 about the new charges (I am one of those, bought mine in May 2019). Mind blowing to me that they are even thinking about charging MCU1 owners for this plan. I can only think of 2 reasons they would charge MCU1 owners

Yeah, and the Wayback Machine has pages that would make it appear used car sales keep whatever they had:

Preium connectivity Trial 2018.png

This is from late 2018. Of course they could say the site was talking about private used sales, and not used sales from Tesla, but I wouldn't want to be arguing that.

Yeah, and the Wayback Machine has pages that would make it appear used car sales keep whatever they had:

This is from late 2018. Of course they could say the site was talking about private used sales, and not used sales from Tesla, but I wouldn't want to be arguing that.

Thanks for the screenshot! It was be easier to argue those terms since our cars have had that functionality when we bought them instead of the new policy of no premium trial. Its more about principle for me, if they get away changing this and charging us then what is going to be next?

Reactions: surfaholic
I pay for Spotify already, I never use satellite maps, and I struggle with using enough data and I have rollover, and I have no use for realtime traffic info. I check that beforehand. If you're stuck in traffic, no traffic info will help you :p.

So no reason for me to get premium connection, since you can connect to wifi on the phone access point.

I'm another used P85D bought from Tesla late Oct 2018 didn't know about this premium connectivity thing and it was never mentioned to me. I thought it was only for Model 3 or new S/X purchases I figured if I was grandfathered into supercharging with my car why wouldn't the data be the same.

Reactions: surfaholic
Interesting. Its not listed. (Canadian here)
Same, Canadian as well and doesn't say I have it and doesn't say I do as others are posting. The area it would be stated like others is completely blank. But I in fact currently do have full data access and hoping it stays like that. I might be in some odd grey zone actually as I had a full deposit for a M3D(configured) from June 2018 but due to the loss of the 14k rebate in Ontario I switched to a used S(AWD never qualified). So technically I might 'qualify'. Here is hoping I don't have to fight it, *would be about the principal not $

$10/mo ..... this extra fee annoyance will be forgotten really soon. what we ought to start focusing on is how expensive & time consumung it will be when the 5G MCU's start getting deployed, & we all have to upgrade, similar to when the 3-g owners wanted to move up to 4G.