Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$10 Month for Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got this response from Tesla in response to an email suggesting reduced pricing for MCU1 owners:

Thank you for contacting Tesla. In reference to your request for special pricing for premium connectivity, it is not available for price reduction for any reason at this time.

Warm Regards,

Reginald M. | Tesla Support​

Were you expecting a different answer?

I'm sure there won't be any preferential pricing for MCU1 owners but here's an unpopular idea, make connectivity for MCU2 more expensive (let's say for streaming services) :p

Were you expecting a different answer?
Definitely not. Just putting the response out there as a matter of mild interest. The only reason I submitted the request was just to put it on their radar, just in case I was actually secretly joining a tidal wave of similar comments and contributing to a rethinking of the situation. I had the same hope for that as I do for winning the lottery, although the stakes for this were cheaper than buying a lottery ticket.

Finally got this response from Tesla in response to an email suggesting reduced pricing for MCU1 owners:

Thank you for contacting Tesla. In reference to your request for special pricing for premium connectivity, it is not available for price reduction for any reason at this time.

Warm Regards,

Reginald M. | Tesla Support​
So, not the response you wanted to get, but at least they did respond. Many folks post here and say things like "Impossible to get a response from Tesla"

Thanks for taking the time to do this....

Thought you cant use hot spot, else no one will want to subscribe to this model. Probably Tesla would claim for safety and security reasons you cant use hot spot.
Well it is possible to connect to a hot spot both while parked and while driving. When you shift into “gear” from parked it automatically switches to 3G/LTE, but you can quickly re-select your hotspot even while driving. I’ve tested this out myself. The question is whether it will enable streaming - and for me, more specifically, Spotify streaming since I already pay for the account. I could understand if streaming Slacker required the premium connectivity, because it’s a subscription Tesla is paying for. But if I bring my own data (hotspot) and bring my own Spotify subscription, I would hope I’d still be able to stream Spotify through the MCU’s Spotify app.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Same, Canadian as well and doesn't say I have it and doesn't say I do as others are posting. The area it would be stated like others is completely blank. But I in fact currently do have full data access and hoping it stays like that. I might be in some odd grey zone actually as I had a full deposit for a M3D(configured) from June 2018 but due to the loss of the 14k rebate in Ontario I switched to a used S(AWD never qualified). So technically I might 'qualify'. Here is hoping I don't have to fight it, *would be about the principal not $

When I purchased, the premium connectivity was definitely included. Even on the configurator online it still shows it as "In-car internet streaming music & media" in the window detailing "premium interior" features.

On the US site, it has the time limited text in the same location. So maybe it's region specific...

But premium is free for life for all cars ordered before June 30 2018. So you will continue to get free use of the browser that doesn't work.

edit: What does this mean outside of the US: Canadians will pay $13 per month? 10 Euros in Europe?

They have done the same to all models, even though it was not an option or available as an option before June. In an update, they just turn it off stating that it's now Premium. I have been putting together a class action regarding this. I expect to get what I paid for.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Recently, all saw the premium connectivity has been restored in my account, "Free Unlimited". (Tesla Used MS bought in Oct 2018) I believe I read somewhere that this recent change applies to all used and new cars that were sold though Tesla with premium connectivity prior to Jan 1 2020.

Now, all we need is an MCU replacement option that will allow us to enjoy said connectivity for the same time. Well, I can dream, can't I?

Reactions: surfaholic
Recently, all saw the premium connectivity has been restored in my account, "Free Unlimited". (Tesla Used MS bought in Oct 2018) I believe I read somewhere that this recent change applies to all used and new cars that were sold though Tesla with premium connectivity prior to Jan 1 2020.

Now, all we need is an MCU replacement option that will allow us to enjoy said connectivity for the same time. Well, I can dream, can't I?

Same here. For a while my S bought in Dec 2019 showed it would expire in a year but it's back to free unlimited. Yes, if it stays like this, an MCU2 upgrade would be great indeed.