Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10+ Reasons Why I Love My 2023 Model S vs. My 2022 Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10+ Reasons why I love my 2023 Model S vs. my 2022 Model Y Performance

2023 S AWD vs 2022 MYP

1 - Ride Quality - I came from a 22 Model Y Performance into a 2023 Model S. The main reason for the switch was the ride quality. Love the MYP but it rode like a donkey cart. The ride in the S is way better. Smoother and more comfortable and the air suspension is adjustable.

2 - Quieter - The S is also quieter using double pane glass in front and back. I got the round steering wheel which is great.

3 - Steering Wheel - The yoke was too fat and clunky. Got used to no stalks in one drive though hate that there is no center horn.

4, 5, 6 - Screens - The 17" Screen is amazing especially all the gesture control but more importantly the center Dashboard screen is perfect. I didn't realize how much missed one til I had it back. It has everything I need in one beautiful place. Rear Screen - May not use it much but nice to know its there but provide entertainment to rear passengers

7 - Room - The Y has more room and was worried about the room but because it is a hatchback it has a huge amount of space with the rear seats down and you even get room behind the front seats when they are down which is fantastic for quick grab supplies while driving

8 - Sirius - I love Sirius and the S has it and the Y does not.

9 - Luxury - It is more luxurious on the inside and the center console layout is great. Loved the rear seat console with phone chargers built in

10 - Ventilated cool seats. Yes they work

11 - Range - Best feature? The range. I just drove from Vermont to NYC today with no stops and still had 30 per cent when I got here. And the computer range estimating seems more accurate than in my Y. I left showing 30 per cent when I arrived and it was right on. Never got that on the Y. Always predicted short

12 - Tilted screen - It just makes sense

Tesla_Model_S_(Facelift_ab_04-2016)_trimmed.jpg

"Tesla Model S (Facelift ab 04-2016) trimmed" by : Peteratkins *derivative work: Mariordo is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I like the comments that "it's more expensive so it must be better". This is not always the case folks... even within a brand.

Ironic, I own an S, my wife has a Y, and neither of us would trade. I offered to buy her an X, and she refused after sitting in one. She didn't care for the windshield design, the space was nice, but layout and the doors were not what she wanted. Worst thing is, she wanted one before she sat in it! To her, the Y is the perfect car.

I enjoy all of the points you bring up, and the range/power were my #1 selling factors for an S. I like the ride and luxury inside.

My wife likes the utility of her Y. It is comfortable, she can sit up higher (a big selling point to her) and the space inside is exactly what she wants.

@CDrury I can appreciate your list, and I think it makes sense! The S is a symphony of engineering and an outstanding vehicle. I will keep mine until the next major refresh more than likely.

Reactions: CDrury and Jpandes
I like the comments that "it's more expensive so it must be better". This is not always the case folks... even within a brand.

Ironic, I own an S, my wife has a Y, and neither of us would trade. I offered to buy her an X, and she refused after sitting in one. She didn't care for the windshield design, the space was nice, but layout and the doors were not what she wanted. Worst thing is, she wanted one before she sat in it! To her, the Y is the perfect car.

I enjoy all of the points you bring up, and the range/power were my #1 selling factors for an S. I like the ride and luxury inside.

My wife likes the utility of her Y. It is comfortable, she can sit up higher (a big selling point to her) and the space inside is exactly what she wants.

@CDrury I can appreciate your list, and I think it makes sense! The S is a symphony of engineering and an outstanding vehicle. I will keep mine until the next major refresh more than likely.
Love your description of the S. It is exactly how I feel. And while I loved my MYP I went for the S for 2 reasons…Suspension and AC seats but got so much more than I expected. Love the ride and luxury.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 1.36.50 PM.png

We had a loaner for a while and prefer the Y. The S drives smooth and the door cards are nice (Y should have this level of quality on door cards)
It's funny getting used to the IP - this particular one didn't have the side cameras turn on when you signal like the Y (not sure if the S just doesn't have this?)
Mostly it's strange to sit so low and prone, when you're used to the Y. The Y is easier to drive, imo. Both of us prefer the Y. It just feels more airy and comfortable.

The age is showing on the dash design. Appreiciate the materials but feels dated. Wife appreciated the carbon inserts, thought it looked really nice.

The powered door handles... there was a close call where our child tried to grab it as it was closing. Do they auto open if a finger is underneath, trying to pull?

Overall got the feeling it would make a great GT. Nice presence and big trunk. It's a sexy bird for sure.

Reactions: Msicario and CDrury
View attachment 945442
We had a loaner for a while and prefer the Y. The S drives smooth and the door cards are nice (Y should have this level of quality on door cards)
It's funny getting used to the IP - this particular one didn't have the side cameras turn on when you signal like the Y (not sure if the S just doesn't have this?)
Mostly it's strange to sit so low and prone, when you're used to the Y. The Y is easier to drive, imo. Both of us prefer the Y. It just feels more airy and comfortable.

The age is showing on the dash design. Appreiciate the materials but feels dated. Wife appreciated the carbon inserts, thought it looked really nice.

The powered door handles... there was a close call where our child tried to grab it as it was closing. Do they auto open if a finger is underneath, trying to pull?

Overall got the feeling it would make a great GT. Nice presence and big trunk. It's a sexy bird for sure.
I’m retired and come from the Automotive industry; Auto Parts & engine rebuilding; I’ve owned many sport cars; Ferrari GTB, Corvettes, Porsches, and hot rods.
Sitting low was fine when I was much younger; Mostly for the sake of HP and Speed.
Now I have the best of the two in my MYP; Comfort, HP, Speed and all the Tech stuff. Just feels good, I love it.

I’m retired and come from the Automotive industry; Auto Parts & engine rebuilding; I’ve owned many sport cars; Ferrari GTB, Corvettes, Porsches, and hot rods.
Sitting low was fine when I was much younger; Mostly for the sake of HP and Speed.
Now I have the best of the two in my MYP; Comfort, HP, Speed and all the Tech stuff. Just feels good, I love it.
IMG_4905.jpeg

I’ve had a 2018 100D S, a now a 2022 M3 LR and a 22’ MYP.

The S was the best to look at daily and smile. Cargo, power, sport all in one amazing package. With smaller kids, it was the perfect blend of cargo and sedan.

For the price of one S, we essentially got the 3 and Y lol.

The M3 LR (w/boost) is sheer joy to drive. Point and shoot handling and she’s super fast. Best handling of all three.

The MYP is a refined version of the M3 and impressive utility with power. MYP is damn fast and amazing visibility.

IMG_4197.jpeg
IMG_1284.jpeg
IMG_2837.jpeg

I’ve had a 2018 100D S, a now a 2022 M3 LR and a 22’ MYP.

The S was the best to look at daily and smile. Cargo, power, sport all in one amazing package. With smaller kids, it was the perfect blend of cargo and sedan.

For the price of one S, we essentially got the 3 and Y lol.

The M3 LR (w/boost) is sheer joy to drive. Point and shoot handling and she’s super fast. Best handling of all three.

The MYP is a refined version of the M3 and impressive utility with power. MYP is damn fast and amazing visibility.

View attachment 945725View attachment 945726View attachment 945727
Beauties 😃 Can’t beat the 21’ wheels 👍🏻

Reactions: Destiny1701
Yeah the 2022 and 2023 refresh S and X are just another level, love them so much in comparison to our 2013 S’s, 2016 X’s, and our 2019 and 2021 3 and Y’s. Now we own a S Plaid and an X Plaid, along with a Y we plan to upgrade to a X as well in a couple years.
What’s your favourite of all of them?
S plaid or?

Reactions: CDrury
I had an MSP on order but canceled it as it was too low for me (arthritic neck). My wife had a MYP which I loved, so I got one too. We just drove from Dallas to Seaside in both cars and the MYP performed like a champ. If they can work some more of the kinks out of the MXP, I may get that the next time!