Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10-Way Adjustable Bilstein Suspension Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those Bilsteins are crappy shocks but I haven't heard of them dying out so quickly on Roadsters. Yours seems to be the only reported ones on the forum that have failed.
Mine too ! as above,
Plus: the original UK Roadster sales guy did slip that it was a common complaint with the Sports suspension.
6000 mile on from replacement front adjustable shox, I'm picking up a very, very, slight re-appearance of the same, internal rattle.
Once out of warrantee I may well go for Nitrons, at least on the front.
Also FWIW the numbers on my newer, replacement Bilsteins 10 way shock (LHS .. UK version) is F4-BM3-G622 T0 and spring: Eibach 46/11 A26Coo30H

Rob Dietsch at Dietsch Werks can do or set you up with a rebuilder. He also can do the labor if you don't want to do it yourself. Only thing is, which I just found out from looking online, is that he moved from San Jose up to Vacaville :(

Dietsch Werks - 33 Photos - Auto Repair - 1051 Aldridge Rd - Vacaville, CA - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Bay Area

I'll have to contact him to see if he still has a presence locally, but it appears not.

Another idea for shock rebuilders, this one is up in Sonoma, CA:

Performance Shock, Inc

Pricing of a rebuild roughly speaking should be around $120 / shock.

Also contact Bilstein to see if they have a lifetime warranty. I know some have mentioned some of their shocks do.

Warranty
Wiztecy - my front dampers are starting to leak also, but didn't you go down the Nitron route with Rob? If so how do you like them and how much did it cost?

I love them and have no complaints with about 35k on them now. Nitron recommends to service them something like around 15k miles, but honestly, I feel that's so that they're always performing top notch. Shocks do wear and loose some performance over time but I can't feel any degradation at all. They have the spring perch that allows you to do corner balancing, that's my next investment / setup. These cars are relatively light so having your spring weight dialed in so its balanced on all 4 wheels makes a huge difference in the overall handling and performance of the suspension.

As for the cost I believe I spent around $3900 total with installation from Rob. He had by chance a new set laying around to install on one of his Exige track cars, so the spring rate was heavier, especially in the rear. As I mentioned in an earlier Nitron thread, the driver's side abs/shock mount needs to be slightly modified to accommodate. Otherwise its plug and play.