Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100,000+ Mile Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.... had all the common issues (12V, squeaky brake rotors upgraded, wet sand marks in paint, taillight condensation, fuses, stuck contactor, squeeks, pano wind noise, side mirror wind noise, stuck door handles, loud a/c compressor, melted charging cable, louve fans bad, steering column click, charging port lights out, side mirror bracket bare aluminium corrosion, yadda yadda). and on my 4th drive unit. this unit also has milling noise so will be on 5th at some point.

Save for the Drive unit (crossed fingers!) That list read as if you were describing my car!!! (similar vin range). I mean, you really nailed it, I almost think that is a "Standard list" that all owners could relate to.

All in all, for a newly launched platform, that list is not so bad.

While I'm happy that Tesla replaced all of that under warranty, to your point, you're out of warranty now, and will the parts they replaced fail just as quickly, or are they superior to the original parts in some way? I'm sure its a mixed bag - the 12V battery is a clear example of a bad lot, and any replacement is superior - same for the contactor.

I thought I posted a message earlier. Looks like it disappeared some where. I am a newbie in posting to forums.:biggrin:
I had a flat tire the next day i started this thread and called Tesla Roadside assistance and found out the first casualty after the warranty expiration is the towing. They still can send a towing truck but we need to pay the cost of towing with one exception. If the towing is required due to the battery or drive defect the towing to the service center is free. Luckily I have AAA premium membership which I did not use for a long time and they have towed the car to Costco for free. I got the tire replaced as the tires are under road hazard warranty. I had to wait for a week for the replacement. I had a spare tire I bought on another occasion and asked them to mount it temporarily.

@hanl1 My 90% is consistently at 221 rated miles. It used to be 245 Miles when the car was new.
@Cyclone Love the car and i think the Model S is made for my kind of driving. I enjoy every mile I drive. I have earlier drove Toyota Prius(2 of them) and a Nissan Maxima close to 500,000+ miles.:biggrin:
@yobigd20 Welcome to the Club. I am a big lurker and gleaned lot of information from senior members like you. Thank you and other members for their time and insights.

Yikes! Some people seem to be spending half their lives in their cars. I am pretty sure I haven't driven 150,000 or even 100,000 miles in my whole life since I got my licence 23 years ago ...
I believe the saying is: "In Europe 100 miles is a long way, In North America 100 years is a long time".

I just joined the 100,000 mile club. Here is a video of what it cost me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDCJuh_sLCs

Nice. Granted that is just fuel costs, but it makes the point. In Charlotte, our EV Club (not the Tesla club) sometimes compares numbers of how much we've saved from our previous gas car. Given my last car used regular unleaded and got 19 mpg and electricity here is $0.095 retail, the savings are significant.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I'm glad I found this thread since I didn't want to start a new one on the same topic. We're not official members yet (93K) but here a few things.

60 arrived April 2013. Had we known that the SC network would expand so rapidly, we would have gone for the 85. Smart decision for Tesla to replace the 60 with the 70. That little bit of difference would have served us well on many of our road trips. At least it would have lessened my range anxiety. Hubby isn't fazed at all when he pulls into the garage with 7 miles of range left (but we've never been that close on a road trip!)

Our 80% charge is now coming in at 175 miles of range. Our car is garage kept, but it will be interesting to see what we lose as the weather gets colder. Last year it was about 10 miles of range.

We did not opt to extend the warranty because we knew the car would be out of warranty in a little over three years. We figured we would save the $4000 and apply it to repairs, and so far that has paid off. We replaced the windshield for $1200, and replaced the tires at 40K and 80K miles. We do the service calls every 24,000 miles with no obvious downside. We did have to replace a bent rim.

The only things we have paid for that would have been under warranty was an issue with the door handles rubbing. That was $300.

Happy new year to all.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Joined the 100K club today.
Just under 3 years. 100% rated range is 237. So about 10% loss over 100,000 miles (on delivery got 264).
IMG_20151230_125707.jpg

I posted earlier but want to add some observations I am seeing regarding range.

The general gist is I see consumption per the trip kWh display that is much less than I would have been expected to be consumed given a nearly full depletion of the battery.

For example, roll in after a day of travel with near zero range left and the car only displays ~60 kWh consumed from the morning's 90% charge.

I'll explain it better later today after gathering some real numbers.

Since there is only one full range charge data point for 100K miles. Here is my analysis:

100K miles. Assuming the user charges to 90% of battery per charge before recharging. Also assuming user gets 90% of rated mile of EPA miles at 90% charge. Both assumptions are idealistic and probably doesn't happen, but making these assumptions will give us a best case scenario.

90% of 265 = 238.5. 90% of 238.5 = 214.65. Rounding to 215 miles per charge. 100K/215 = 465 times the battery has been charged. Lets round to 500 to make it easy.

Users stated 237 miles max range charge now. 237/264 = 89.7% or 90%

So using this one point data:
Less than 3 years, charged around 500 times and battery degradation is 10%.

If I were you I would sell the car if I could. Resale value is very high. You could maybe get like 30k for it maybe more. That would be a very nice down payment for a brand new S and an extended warranty. These kind of resale values are not going to hold well over time. Once the 3 is out and available (maybe 3 years from now) a model S with that many miles won't be worth more than 15k.