Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 Battery announced soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Boomer (60+) but scored an 8, so I'm in the death-warmed-over end of the range. I can see the obvious areas where I failed to qualify as a millennial: I still read the newspaper, watch TV, have a line line, don't text, don't use social media, etc. However, the question that surprised me is the one about the importance of seeking a high-paying career. When I was still working, that would have been of importance to me, but since I'm now retired, I answered "no importance" and that response alone dropped me out of the "Baby Boomer" range where I had been comfortably ensconced. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that seeking a high-paying career is considered of such importance to millennials (much to the chagrin of many of their parents). My millennial sons and most of their friends/acquaintances eschew the typical corporate career path... even here in the Bay Area, which is skewed by the large number of high-paying tech jobs.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Tesla. I placed my Model S order on Monday and got a call from the Portland advisor today. She said that any more notable changes to the Model S are very unlikely for a while, at least the rest of this year. Though she said they are being very tight lipped about a timeline for the 100 KWh battery. I mentioned that would be about the only possible new feature I'd really want.

It is possible people are just reading into the Tesla advertising what they want to see. The 100 Emoji post could have been referring to the 100 the Model S got from Consumer Reports and the Tweet with the 100 Km/hr on the speedometer was a re-Tweet of someone showing off their odometer rolling over to 90,000 Km.

Anyway, that's my small data point.

Could be. Another data point is also all the sales advisors claiming that nothing would happen right before the refresh actually happened - they are not usually in the know anyway. Few things we know: a 100Kw battery has been developed and got into the firmware recently. It will be launched some day. Maybe initially only for P models along with even better performance (secret sauce?) Maybe there is no date set yet, and they are keeping this card close to the chest as a joker to spur demand to achieve 2016 delivery goals. Maybe it'll be for Model X first to bring range on par with Model S. But it's likely to come, some day...

But then it would have been 103 since that's what it actually got.

Are you saying a Tesla employee confirmed the existence of the 100 battery?

I brought up the 100 KWh battery and she said it was probably not coming soon, and kind of implied not this year. But then added that there has been no official word from corporate one way or the other and mentioned the forums are twisting themselves into knots trying to predict the future.

So she didn't outright confirm it, but she talked about it like it will be a reality at some point.

I am paraphrasing here. Most of the conversation was about the order and the process.

Could be. Another data point is also all the sales advisors claiming that nothing would happen right before the refresh actually happened - they are not usually in the know anyway. Few things we know: a 100Kw battery has been developed and got into the firmware recently. It will be launched some day. Maybe initially only for P models along with even better performance (secret sauce?) Maybe there is no date set yet, and they are keeping this card close to the chest as a joker to spur demand to achieve 2016 delivery goals. Maybe it'll be for Model X first to bring range on par with Model S. But it's likely to come, some day...

The 100 has been in the firmware for several months

So here's what we know: Tesla has already increased pack capacity at least twice (60-70, 85-90; 70-75 in the X) and has publicly indicated that there will be a continuum of this trend. 100 is a larger number than 90. Whether there's going to be a 100kWh pack seems like an odd thing to be discussing - firmware badge finding or not. Timing, on the other hand, is open to speculation.

From talking to various Tesla employees at the store and related to my order, I get the impression most of them read this forum pretty closely.

Tesla is really in a box on the 100 - or other major upgrades. If they confirm that something very desirable is coming "in X months" then their sales will completely tank. Tesla simply cannot afford that. And on the other hand, they can't deny that something is coming, when it in-fact is. That would open them to legal problems as peed-off purchasers feel they've been lied to. Strict silence is really their only option.

Once Tesla is large enough to absorb the annual sales cycle variations, I predict that they will go to the model year system. It creates more predictability for customers.

My two cents... the 100 is coming sooner rather than later. Very unusually the 100 battery was confirmed by the firmware hack. So we all know it's out there being road tested. If it were going to be released next year, Tesla would be inclined to say something to the effect that "Yes a 100 is eventually coming. This is to be expected as part of our well known battery development process. The 100 itself is in very early testing. The chemistry and construction is still being developed. Of course we need to ensure that we achieve the performance, longevity and durability that our customers expect and this can't happen without a lot of testing and refinement. We can't predict when the 100 will be released, but it won't be this year. And of course when it does, the 100kwh battery will be compatible with current packs, providing an upgrade path for existing owners".

Right now we're getting a mix of silence and the odd unsubstantiated statements that the 100 isn't coming soon. That's exactly what I would try to do if it wasn't imminent, but still near term - say this summer.

Now I'll go put my tinfoil back on.

Last edited: