Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% charge or 90 or 95?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought there was 70% of original capacity warranty for 8 years/150K miles.
So if OP charges to 100% every day and ends up 65% in 3 years, Tesla should honor the warranty.

Sure, but like I said, "reasonable". Even the most busted, abused battery reports we've seen around here haven't approached 30% degradation in the first 150k miles.

Given that Tesla offers no reasonable warranty for battery degradation, it's certainly your problem.

Depends on how long you’re keeping the car, and if you’re doing 60k a year I’m guessing not too long.

I don’t know the numbers, but from the anecdotal examples I see, most packs have modules that fail completely and need replacement while most are still in pretty good shape. Actually hitting the 70% degradation threshold across the pack without any other issue doesn’t seem too common yet, but that’s probably changing.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
Just charge to 100% whenever you need to. Tesla has no qualms about pushing the limits of the range they advertise, so why in the world would you go out of your way to protect their battery warranty costs? Not great for your battery, also not your problem. They sold you 348 miles, not 348 miles but only occasionally when you REALLY need it for a trip. If they need a bigger buffer to protect longevity, that’s their responsibility, not yours.
No, that doesn't make sense. The warranty for degradation only applies if it's at least 30% loss. That is huge! Most people will never have it that bad from regular degrading use, no matter how hard they work it. But it's still a concern, because this could push things to 18% or 24% loss, which would be really bad, but still be nowhere near enough to trigger a warranty replacement, so yeah, of course this would still be an owner's problem.
most packs have modules that fail completely and need replacement while most are still in pretty good shape.
One of these mosts doesn't make make sense...
It sounds a little confusing, but it does still make sense using the word "most" in both places. This is comparing to the situation where it's just even really bad degradation across all modules, and this comment is pointing out that's rare. He is saying that the more common situation in "most" battery packs is that it is just one or two modules that fail really badly--not even capacity reduction across all. So within that battery pack, "most" of the modules are good while only a few are bad.

No, that doesn't make sense. The warranty for degradation only applies if it's at least 30% loss. That is huge! Most people will never have it that bad from regular degrading use, no matter how hard they work it. But it's still a concern, because this could push things to 18% or 24% loss, which would be really bad, but still be nowhere near enough to trigger a warranty replacement, so yeah, of course this would still be an owner's problem.

My main point is the owner in this situation can either charge to 90% daily to save degradation and take an extra charge stop on the way home almost every day, or use the 100% as long as it lasts and then take charge stops on the way home after degradation makes the whole trip impossible. Probably could get through the first year at least before degradation gets bad, and that’s a lot of charging stops prevented. Even if you have workplace charging, it’s still a hassle imo. Totally understand the opposing viewpoint, I just don’t like getting out of my car.

Don't know why people aren't discussing the lease option. The only reason is if you are going to put on > 15K miles per year.
If you aren't, you can run the battery into the ground and then turn it in and lease a new one with all its improvement after 3 years.
I personally would never buy any EV. The technology is changing too fast. My current Tesla is my third leased EV(not all Teslas).

Don't know why people aren't discussing the lease option. The only reason is if you are going to put on > 15K miles per year.
If you aren't, you can run the battery into the ground and then turn it in and lease a new one with all its improvement after 3 years.
I personally would never buy any EV. The technology is changing too fast. My current Tesla is my third leased EV(not all Teslas).
Because leasing is getting in line to continually take a large punch in the face of depreciation over and over and over and over...
It is the quickest way to set fire to a pile of money and put yourself in perpetual car payments for the rest of your life. Getting a car paid off in 5-7 years and then keeping it for free for another 10 years is a much better financial choice. Or buying used to start with.

Because leasing is getting in line to continually take a large punch in the face of depreciation over and over and over and over...
It is the quickest way to set fire to a pile of money and put yourself in perpetual car payments for the rest of your life. Getting a car paid off in 5-7 years and then keeping it for free for another 10 years is a much better financial choice. Or buying used to start with.
I’m just saying a 17 year old Tesla won’t age as well as a ICE car. When I was driving an ICE car that is what I use to do. Buy used and drive them till they died. A 17 year old Tesla will be like owning a Windows XP computer today.

I apologize to ucmndd for straying off topic. I realized that the original poster had a long daily commute and that leasing was not an option.

My view is the computer SW/HW is the car. It’s shelf life won’t be that long to worry about trying to extend the battery life. How long will Tesla support older cars via SW/HW updates as they sell more cars?

And...the car is pretty smart. It should alert her to charging stations approaching your home if the car doesn't think it can make it there.

Worst case, she'll need to pull into one for enough juice to safely make it home.

Although the car is smart, it's not smart enough to text you that she'll me a little late coming home. She'll need to do that herself.
I can just imagine seeing a power executive driving a Tesla at 85 mph with heavy coat, gloves, and the windows fogged up with frost. Yup, you married her. (lol)

I’m just saying a 17 year old Tesla won’t age as well as a ICE car. When I was driving an ICE car that is what I use to do. Buy used and drive them till they died. A 17 year old Tesla will be like owning a Windows XP computer today.
No--false. I hate seeing people make that annoying incorrect analogy to software operating systems. It is fundamentally different and doesn't apply. These things like comparing it to Windows or Android or iOS operating systems don't work, because as time goes by, newer programs that are written that people want to use are specifically made to require the features of the newer operating systems, and they will just refuse to install or run at all if they don't have the newer operating system.

The car is not like that.

My view is the computer SW/HW is the car. It’s shelf life won’t be that long to worry about trying to extend the battery life. How long will Tesla support older cars via SW/HW updates as they sell more cars?
It doesn't need to be getting the newest updates and feature additions to be used as a car. The car will still be able to start and drive even if it's not getting the newest tweaks and updates to the FSD suite or dashcam or summon, or whatever. It will have some degraded battery capacity as an older car, but will still be perfectly usable for a very long time.

doesn't need to be getting the newest updates and feature additions to be used as a car. The car will still be able to start and drive even if it's not getting the newest tweaks and updates to the FSD suite or dashcam or summon, or whatever

+1. Our 7.5 year old Model S continues to run latest firmware, and some new features, and the center screen still feels quick and responsive to use. Tesla is now refurbishing the fleet with newer hardware option MCU2, but my wife and I discussed and don't feel the need to upgrade. Tesla has done very well keeping old cars running smoothly based on our experience.

+1. Our 7.5 year old Model S continues to run latest firmware, and some new features, and the center screen still feels quick and responsive to use. Tesla is now refurbishing the fleet with newer hardware option MCU2, but my wife and I discussed and don't feel the need to upgrade. Tesla has done very well keeping old cars running smoothly based on our experience.[/QUOTE
+1. Our 7.5 year old Model S continues to run latest firmware, and some new features, and the center screen still feels quick and responsive to use. Tesla is now refurbishing the fleet with newer hardware option MCU2, but my wife and I discussed and don't feel the need to upgrade. Tesla has done very well keeping old cars running smoothly based on our experience.

I hope to not be “driving” a car in the near future. I know some people like to “drive” and they will be happy when they are passed on the highway by a car with no steering wheel and the occupants facing each other.

My belief is that EVs are evolving to fast to make a long term investment in one at this time.

I think the price of EVs will decrease, battery technology will improve along with autonomy. I believe that these will require the latest SW/HW.

Maybe I won’t own/lease a car in the future. Just summon one when I need transportation to go somewhere. This is in Tesla’s plans.

I’m trying to predict the future. I may be right or may be wrong.

Moving closer not an option LOL we live on an estate - 6 acres all wooded, 100 year old mature hardwoods with a 6 car garage and 7000sq ft. 1.5 hours from Chicago you can afford that as two professionals with good jobs. A) not going to get that in Chicago, B) even remotely close would cost >$5M and if I could afford a $5M house I wouldn't be worried about a $20k battery id just buy new ones every couple of years... come on folks be realistic. We bought the car because for commuting 240 miles a day it makes financial sense and we just want to get the most out of the car and experience. Soooo, not buying a different car, not moving. The car makes the trip - just looking to optimize as we are newbies and learning about EV. The FSD makes a huge difference on energy level after driving 1.5 hours.

After having read every single reply, and knowing what your priorities and needs are, I offer my two cents:

1) Try not to charge at more than 90% on a daily basis
2) See if you can charge at work, failing that, a quick stopover at Tesla supercharger should be sufficient
3) Try to drive slower, but you've repeatedly mentioned that this is not your spouse's preferred choice. And why should she drive slow in such an awesome, performance-oriented car?

It'll take a little getting use to but a 50 mile reserve is plenty. My wife would drive 53 miles to her office with a 2013 Fiat 500e. The car has an average range of 83 miles, but driving freeway speeds with a slight elevation climb and the HVAC on would get her to the office with 8-18 miles of range left. Fortunately with a small 24kWh battery pack, it would take about 2-3 hours to recharge. She now drives a 2013 Tesla MS85 and can go roundtrip without the need to charge at the office.

One thing your wife would benefit from is using the "Energy" display on the MCU to show the "Projected Range" based on the average energy consumption in real-time and the anticipated elevation climb/decent as well as traffic conditions. It lets you know when perhaps you need to keep the speed down to lower your rate of fuel consumption.
Also worth noting is the car will tell her to slow down if her speed is going to eat up her battery. It won't--or isn't supposed to, at least--just let her speed her way to zero miles left. It'll tell her to slow down to under 70 or whatever to complete the trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine and Rocky_H
Also worth noting is the car will tell her to slow down if her speed is going to eat up her battery. It won't--or isn't supposed to, at least--just let her speed her way to zero miles left. It'll tell her to slow down to under 70 or whatever to complete the trip.

This is a great feature. Without it, some people might feel compelled to speed-up so they can hurry up and get to the charging station before they run-out.

Reactions: Big Earl
Charging above 90% is a bit meh.
You lose regenerative braking. Inefficient and means you have to use those brakes more.
It takes disproportionally longer to charge 90-100% than, for example, 80-90%.
It gains you a modest increase in range.
Since 2018 I’ve done it a handful of times and now I have a Model Y will likely not do it.

You only lose regen when the charge is at 100%. As soon as it drops even to 98%, you get all regen back (depending on outside and battery temps)
Not from my experience with a 2013 S85. Regenerative power is restricted above ~92% SOC. Regen is also restricted in our 2013 Fiat 500e above 90% SOC. These parameters are set within the BMS and can vary based on version.

Edit: Additionally different battery technology/chemistry will also create difference in regeneration power when the battery capacity nears full.

Reactions: PrGrPa