Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% charge range of SR+ at 224...new order of same car is 250 advertised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a SR+ waiting to be downgraded to an SR. (I bought it originally as an SR without Autopilot in May. )Just recently charged to 100% after letting it go down to 8%. The 100% charge rated mile was 224. I have 6,000 miles and only supercharged 2 times.

I know that recent posts on the forum with other SR+ users getting more or less the same amount of range. So if it is downgraded, the new range would be 220 or would it be closer to 200? It seems like the best deal would be for SR+ owner to request a downgrade to SR and basically get the same range as the SR+ because the original terms for SR was 220. The new order for SR+ have 250 miles, which either mean that the car has a bigger battery or Tesla is doing something weird with the software.

. So if it is downgraded, the new range would be 220 or would it be closer to 200?

Based on what I have heard here, it'll be closer to 205. From what I've been told here, the way Tesla treats top-locked vehicles is to proportionately degrade your rated miles, relative to the overall battery degradation. So when they downgrade you to SR, you'll have 6.6% less range on the SR than you would have, since your SR+ battery has 6.6% less range than it had originally.

(In other words you'll always be limited to the same charging %, regardless of the underlying capacity.)

If all SR owners get an efficiency-boosting or capacity-unlocking update (or a marketing update if there is not an actual improvement?), then of course your range would scale up from that by 250/240.

Last edited:
Based on what I have heard here, it'll be closer to 205. From what I've been told here, the way Tesla treats top-locked vehicles is to proportionately degrade your rated miles, relative to the overall battery degradation. So when they downgrade you to SR, you'll have 6.6% less range on the SR than you would have, since your SR+ battery has 6.6% less range than it had originally.

(In other words you'll always be limited to the same charging %, regardless of the underlying capacity.)

If all SR owners get an efficiency-boosting or capacity-unlocking update (or a marketing update if there is not an actual improvement?), then of course your range would scale up from that by 250/240.

The SR+ software degrade is necessary to protect the battery according to some of the owners. But if it is SR, it doesn't need to go 7% below the already 10% that is capped. It is more to differentiate between people who pay for SR vs SR+. Do you think the 250 range on the Model 3 now is hardware-based? If not, then I'm confused about the changes to current SR+ ranges.

The SR+ software degrade is necessary to protect the battery according to some of the owners.

As far as I can tell, no one knows what is going on.

But if it is SR, it doesn't need to go 7% below the already 10% that is capped.

Maybe not, but that is not apparently the way Tesla has typically treated this. Apparently, historically, you get the scaled (scaling factor: 220/240) version of the battery's 100% capacity.

Do you think the 250 range on the Model 3 now is hardware-based? If not, then I'm confused about the changes to current SR+ ranges.

No idea. We'll find out in a month or two if someone with one of these SR+ measures their consumption constant. Or if a software update rolls out to existing owners, and someone measures their consumption constant.

The change could be:
1) Capacity unlock or capacity change somehow. (This would not result in a Wh/rmi constant change.)
2) Efficiency improvement in software. (This would result in a Wh/rmi constant change.)
3) A nominal marketing change that is somehow allowable based on EPA results (original EPA test gave ~248 miles result), with no actual change. (This would result in a Wh/rmi constant change.)
4) Or it could be some other hardware change resulting in better efficiency. Obviously would not apply retroactively, but would result in a new constant for the updated vehicles.

Last edited:
I have a SR+ waiting to be downgraded to an SR. (I bought it originally as an SR without Autopilot in May. )Just recently charged to 100% after letting it go down to 8%. The 100% charge rated mile was 224. I have 6,000 miles and only supercharged 2 times.

I know that recent posts on the forum with other SR+ users getting more or less the same amount of range. So if it is downgraded, the new range would be 220 or would it be closer to 200? It seems like the best deal would be for SR+ owner to request a downgrade to SR and basically get the same range as the SR+ because the original terms for SR was 220. The new order for SR+ have 250 miles, which either mean that the car has a bigger battery or Tesla is doing something weird with the software.

Supercharging shouldn't be a factor for range. I think Tesla is doing something with the software, depends how you define "weird".