Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% Charge Taper / balancing graphic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are 3 100% charges that I VT logged. There was one more charge done on 2/1 that wasn't logged
You can see how the final time remaining can vary by quite a bit. Scale of each is the same and I lined up the time of completion of each charge
.. heater was on in the first and second for a bit in case you haven't seen the amp spike like that before

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

note - the last one is pretty and the taper curve is much tighter + my rated range at 100% was 5 mi higher than the first charge.

- in each charge it sat at 99% for about an hour, longer on the first

- Amperage taper began
#1 - >100 min before completion
#2 - ~60 min before completion
#3 - 50min before completion
( with this the Voltage goes up a tiny bit)

- check out the Rate of Charge Vs. the Amperage, and when each decreases
first charge, the Mph decreased well blow 95% SOC
second was very near 95%
and the last was already at 99% SOC - but the time spent at ~ 20Mph charge for 40 minutes only put ~1 mile on the rated mi total

interesting, no?

I also noted that charging from 50% to 60% took ~ 75% of the time as each other 10% jump (except the last 10%)

re balance circurit

rebalance circurit.png

a re-balance curcurit I came up with. the actual values for dump resistor and zener are exaples.
the FET controls wheter or not to re-balance - your dont need to monitor each cell and they will all eventual be charged at 3,7 volt.

under normal use/charge there is aapplyed a charge to the FET wich then shorten the resistor (dump load), if re-balance is needed the charge to the FET is removed and a over voltage is applyed to the bank. e.g. 12-13 volt. once a cell reach 3.7 volt the current will automatically flow into the ressistor and zener (you will need a cooling system) only cells under 3.7 volts are then charged (yellow in the circurit)
After a while all cells will be equalized at 3,7 volt.