TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

100% Charge Taper / balancing graphic

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Zextraterrestrial, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Zextraterrestrial

Here are 3 100% charges that I VT logged. There was one more charge done on 2/1 that wasn't logged
    You can see how the final time remaining can vary by quite a bit. Scale of each is the same and I lined up the time of completion of each charge
    .. heater was on in the first and second for a bit in case you haven't seen the amp spike like that before

Capture.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    Capture2.JPG

note - the last one is pretty and the taper curve is much tighter + my rated range at 100% was 5 mi higher than the first charge.

- in each charge it sat at 99% for about an hour, longer on the first

- Amperage taper began
    #1 - >100 min before completion
    #2 - ~60 min before completion
    #3 - 50min before completion
    ( with this the Voltage goes up a tiny bit)

- check out the Rate of Charge Vs. the Amperage, and when each decreases
    first charge, the Mph decreased well blow 95% SOC
    second was very near 95%
    and the last was already at 99% SOC - but the time spent at ~ 20Mph charge for 40 minutes only put ~1 mile on the rated mi total

interesting, no?

I also noted that charging from 50% to 60% took ~ 75% of the time as each other 10% jump (except the last 10%)

2. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

re balance circurit

rebalance circurit.png
    a re-balance curcurit I came up with. the actual values for dump resistor and zener are exaples.
    the FET controls wheter or not to re-balance - your dont need to monitor each cell and they will all eventual be charged at 3,7 volt.

under normal use/charge there is aapplyed a charge to the FET wich then shorten the resistor (dump load), if re-balance is needed the charge to the FET is removed and a over voltage is applyed to the bank. e.g. 12-13 volt. once a cell reach 3.7 volt the current will automatically flow into the ressistor and zener (you will need a cooling system) only cells under 3.7 volts are then charged (yellow in the circurit)
    After a while all cells will be equalized at 3,7 volt.

3. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

I have a similar graph to add to the equation (the 1st and only time I've Range Charged as of yet)
    Screen Shot 2014-06-07 at 3.57.49 PM.png