Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 charge to 300 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaFi shows some variability in the data collection on my vehicle (which still has relatively low miles). I've charged to a total of 100% 4 times since I took ownership, 50 times to 90% and 35 times to 80% in these estimates. It helps to see this on a chart over time and TeslaFi does a relatively good job of this.

Here is how it looks for me:

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 12.03.40 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and ngogas
I’m at around 7600 miles as well. My 90 percent recently, as I charged to that daily, shows around 269-272 as well. I wonder if it’s just with the recent firmware. I’m on 12.1.2.

I’m not worried but just curious if others are experiencing it as well when charging to 100 when not done often.

Mine is a 11/2018 made LR RWD and has about 2,800 miles on it. So my experience doesn't directly apply to you. But I haven't experienced any drop with 12.1.2. I think I have only charged it to 100% once to start a road trip. I normally charge to 60–80%. At the end of all my charges, the car always shows range in the right ratio to 325m@100%, whether I charge with supercharger or at home.

I also check the car's battery percent and range once in a while using Tesla API (or using Tesla Stats app which does the same thing). It seems to track the advertised 325m@100% ratio. Tesla API rounds the battery percentage to integers. So the calculated range can vary 3-5 miles.

Another thing I "feel" is that if I don't drive the car for a while, the range shows a slightly lower number, but is usually back to the 325m@100% ratio as soon as I finish a drive. I don't have enough measurements to prove that there is a correlation.

According to Tesla, it does. (I don't agree with this, but what can I do?)

I've been experiencing this since November of last year, and each time I inquire/take it in/have them perform remote diagnostics, they say it takes into consideration driving history, power usage, outside temperature etc etc, and they aren't seeing anything wrong with my battery.

Currently, my 90% is 267, and my 100% is 297. Has been this way since November. At the time, I was told that it was due to the way I was charging (every other day, and maybe only to 80%). The recommendation was to charge it daily to 90% and it would re-calibrate. I've been charging to 90% daily since December, have taken a few trips and been under 10% SOC, charged to 100% a handful of times, and I've seen absolutely no change.

I understand that overall range is affected by many variables, but when the car is freshly charged, and is sitting still, the range should still be 310 at 100%, and once I start driving, THAT'S when the variables should impact range. I think there's a problem, and I think Tesla doesn't wants to admit it.

FWIW, I'm on 12.1.2, and my lifetime Wh/mi is right around 320. Total mileage is 7,533 since 8/7/18.

I totally agree with what you are saying. And my number on my AWD matches exactly what you have on yours. So I'm thinking it's because of the firmware calculates the bms this way. Glad I'm in the same boat. Maybe 12.16 will have a new calculation ; we can only hope.

I do 100% charges almost every weekend. I'm at 15,000 miles and just had a 310 charge the other day. I think the screenshot where it showed a little less than 100% was because the charge finished a few hours ago and he was loosing some range to the vamperic drain. You'll see the full charge amount only if it finishes right before you get in your car.

I do 100% charges almost every weekend. I'm at 15,000 miles and just had a 310 charge the other day. I think the screenshot where it showed a little less than 100% was because the charge finished a few hours ago and he was loosing some range to the vamperic drain. You'll see the full charge amount only if it finishes right before you get in your car.

No, it had finished the full charge minutes before. I did that on purpose. I stopped and restarted charging and got it to go to 306 miles. I've seen this happen the 2 times I've charged to 100%. And like I said, TeslaFi never recorded a 100% charge. It records all my 80% and 90% charges

According to Tesla, it does. (I don't agree with this, but what can I do?)

I've been experiencing this since November of last year, and each time I inquire/take it in/have them perform remote diagnostics, they say it takes into consideration driving history, power usage, outside temperature etc etc, and they aren't seeing anything wrong with my battery.

Currently, my 90% is 267, and my 100% is 297. Has been this way since November. At the time, I was told that it was due to the way I was charging (every other day, and maybe only to 80%). The recommendation was to charge it daily to 90% and it would re-calibrate. I've been charging to 90% daily since December, have taken a few trips and been under 10% SOC, charged to 100% a handful of times, and I've seen absolutely no change.

I understand that overall range is affected by many variables, but when the car is freshly charged, and is sitting still, the range should still be 310 at 100%, and once I start driving, THAT'S when the variables should impact range. I think there's a problem, and I think Tesla doesn't wants to admit it.

FWIW, I'm on 12.1.2, and my lifetime Wh/mi is right around 320. Total mileage is 7,533 since 8/7/18.
Why do you expect 310 mile range when some loss could certainly be due to battery degradation?

Perhaps charging to 100% every weekend for you recalibrated the bms every week. Pretty nice that you have yet to see any degration doing so every week and at 15k. That is pretty good indication.

Reactions: RyanT
Why do you expect 310 mile range when some loss could certainly be due to battery degradation?

I think you miss the point. I think we are trying to get a consensus of what we are seeing having own the car less then a year and have driven certain of miles. We wanted to see if it's the norm for that much degration or it it's calibration needed or firmware related. Certainly we don't all expect to have 310 miles.

Took delivery 9/2018. 12,000 miles. Have always charged to 90% at about 279. About a month ago it started down and now is stoping at 270 for 90%. Did the reset thing. Ran it down to 20 miles, supercharged to 100% and only got 295. Concerned. Seems like a sudden change. I almost always charge at home with an HPWC, 44 miles/hour.

I did have an SC look at my diagnostic on my battery about 3 weeks. They said my battery is fine and that there is a fix coming for the bms. They said something about showing everyone as being a bit lower. At the time; i had beta 9. So i bet the fix could be in 12.16... maybe...

Took delivery 9/2018. 12,000 miles. Have always charged to 90% at about 279. About a month ago it started down and now is stoping at 270 for 90%. Did the reset thing. Ran it down to 20 miles, supercharged to 100% and only got 295. Concerned. Seems like a sudden change. I almost always charge at home with an HPWC, 44 miles/hour.

I've read elsewhere that much of the degradation happens up front, but I haven't seen this data validated with the newer battery formulation in Model 3.

At home, on our small appliances (dust-buster, drills) I've replaced a single cell in multi-cell unit battery packs when they stopped charging. At some point, I would imagine Tesla will start to offer modular replacement service as well on the Model3. In my limited experience servicing rechargeable batteries in home appliances, it is usually a small number of cells which fail that cause the bulk of the issues.

I haven't seen a detailed analysis of battery pack failures yet in Model 3, so it's difficult to comment with any certainty. I would expect that in the next few years, we'll have better options available to us, and by the time our warranty lapses, we might have the opportunity (if we choose) to go to a higher density / lower cost battery. That said, with the rapid pace of innovation, driving (and therefore the cabin - lounge?) may be an entirely different experience in 8 years and we may want to trade in ;)