Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 charge to 300 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised it does not have a sensor of some sort to at least test the charge level of each pack.

As far as I know, there is no real way to know the actual (vs. estimated) state of energy storage without exercising the battery. This is why at best what we see on screen is an estimation by the BMS. We can count the energy going into, and out of the battery, and we can even measure the delivery and storage efficiency, but all of this requires moving electrons. Perhaps someday we'll be able to scan a device and know its true state of charge.

I found this resource online, if you'd like to dig in a bit deeper on how state of charge is measured (From Battery University):

Measuring State-of-charge - Battery University

As far as I know, there is no real way to know the actual (vs. estimated) state of energy storage without exercising the battery. This is why at best what we see on screen is an estimation by the BMS. We can count the energy going into, and out of the battery, and we can even measure the delivery and storage efficiency, but all of this requires moving electrons. Perhaps someday we'll be able to scan a device and know its true state of charge.

I found this resource online, if you'd like to dig in a bit deeper on how state of charge is measured (From Battery University):

Measuring State-of-charge - Battery University

I see, so it's like a black box; you can put things in and take things out; but you really can't see it unless you take everything back out and count then put back in to get an accurate value. lol

I see, so it's like a black box; you can put things in and take things out; but you really can't see it unless you take everything back out and count then put back in to get an accurate value. lol

As it turns out, there is a technology company that has discovered a method to chemically measure the SoC within the cells themselves with some sort of nano-sensor technology (see: Strategic collaboration with multinational component company and AGM Batteries | Insplorion). I would imagine that Tesla isn't interested in paying a premium to do this when they have a solution that works more or less.

View attachment 407596 Have my model 3 since sept of 2018. Charge to 100 percent today for the first time. Fully charge shows 300 miles.

Hey @ngogas ! Same experience in many ways. I picked up 9/18 as well in Salt Lake. Charged to 100% for the first time last week out of curiosity and it topped at 300 miles. Total mileage is 6,200....and if you were driving down 1700 South about an hour ago, that was me following you :)

Hey @ngogas ! Same experience in many ways. I picked up 9/18 as well in Salt Lake. Charged to 100% for the first time last week out of curiosity and it topped at 300 miles. Total mileage is 6,200....and if you were driving down 1700 South about an hour ago, that was me following you :)

Wow, we must have just missed each other picking up our cars in Salt Lake. I'm in a dark gray with white interior. I see a deep blue model 3 on 2-15 east near washington blvd all the time. Do you frequently on that highway? lol

Last edited:
Wow, we must have just missed each other picking up our cars in Salt Lake. I"m in a dark gray with white interior. I see a deep blue on 2-15 east near washington blvd all the time. Do you frequently on that highway? lol

Not me on Washington. Just another member of the tribe. :) With my 4 mile downhill commute I actually create energy on the way to work so whether I'm 300 or 310 miles is pretty pointless. Just love the car and its tech like most here so tracking interesting topics.

C88F4C0A-A20D-4A12-9800-BC083B7389FE.png Rated range for my new LR RWD suddenly dropped after I returned from a one week trip to CA (with only about 1500 miles driven). Used to get 294 miles at 90% SoC and suddenly got 274 miles or less at 90% SoC. The numbers went down even further but have stabilized a little (back to about 272 at 90% and 292 at 100%). The SC told me it was a “feature” and that the rated range was periodically adjusting based on driving habits, temperature, etc. I’ve been monitoring levels in the Stats app and the sudden drop is apparent. o_O

View attachment 407692 Rated range for my new LR RWD suddenly dropped after I returned from a one week trip to CA (with only about 1500 miles driven). Used to get 294 miles at 90% SoC and suddenly got 274 miles or less at 90% SoC. The numbers went down even further but have stabilized a little (back to about 272 at 90% and 292 at 100%). The SC told me it was a “feature” and that the rated range was periodically adjusting based on driving habits, temperature, etc. I’ve been monitoring levels in the Stats app and the sudden drop is apparent. o_O

Could very likely be firmware related as SC was saying.

True. Tesla pushed an update while I was in CA (I believe 2019.8.5) to my M3 which had previously been on 2019.8.3. The new fw could very well be the culprit. I feel though that the range is more accurate now (with a an average 270wh since I got the car).

Based on everyone's consensus that 10 rated miles seems to have vanished over the about a 2 week period regardless if they have 2,000 miles, and 3 months of ownership or 7,500 miles and 6-8 months ownership. I am leaning towards it being a firmware issue. I am calling it at Dog mode.

Based on everyone's consensus that 10 rated miles seems to have vanished over the about a 2 week period regardless if they have 2,000 miles, and 3 months of ownership or 7,500 miles and 6-8 months ownership. I am leaning towards it being a firmware issue. I am calling it at Dog mode.
I totally agree with your statement, firmware adjustment, going to be interesting to see the new 100% charge levels with the next firmware..

Fred

July '18 LR RWD at 10k miles prorated range dropped to 305 recently after having been at 318 after software range increase. Maybe they took the range increase away from some. 310 to 305 in the first 10 months is 1.6% which is normal. 2-3% in the first year was predicted. I think it's all software and/or display and not battery degradation.

I start noticing it about 1.5 months ago when charging to 90. I use to get 278 then it dropped to low as 268 and now stable around 271. So I thought I tried charging to 100 percent for the first time ever to recalibrate.

Glad I stumbled in here and saw this. Exactly what happened to me and the time frame. Haven't 100 percent charged yet to see if it helps, but the numbers match what my AWD. Seems like that performance increase went the other direction. =P

Normally I leave my display set to % instead of miles, but I switched to miles for last nights charge. I got 287 miles at 90% which converts to 318.888 miles for 100% charge. So I'm down 6.6 miles or 2% of battery capacity after driving my car for 9 months with an odometer reading of 19,683. I have the LR RWD, so 310 with an extra 5% is 325.5 miles. Sorry if this is a little disjointed, still on my first cup of coffee :p

/edit I'm on version 12.1.2, forgot to mention.

My 90% has always been 279, with 100% estimated at 310. Like a lot of people here it dropped in two very noticeable steps about a month ago (after 2019.8.5). First to 274 at 90% and 305 at 100%. Then a week later it was 270 at 90% and 300 at 100%. No change in driving behavior or anything else. It's a LR RWD purchased July 2018 w/ 15k miles. Seems strange it dropped in such a step-wise fashion and not gradual. Took it to the Service Center for tire rotation and they supposedly checked the battery and said everything was fine and it's responding to driving behavior etc.

Also, I was expecting range to increase to ~325 miles for a LR RWD at some point. What happened to that? Why do some people see it and not others? I'm on 2019.12.1.2 currently.

It changes a lot. 90% on ours was 278-277, now with the firmware update a few months back, 90% is 284-287ish. I've seen as high as maybe 317 on a full charge, but the first time i charged to 100% it only got to like 304. Got about 14k miles on the clock now.

One of the things I like about this car, is I get to geek out on the battery management, and other functions.
That being said, I think most of us obsess over the battery a little too much, and forget that the battery SOC will fluctuate for various reasons. None of which necessarily means the battery is seeing abnormal degradation.