TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

100% charge

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by steilkurve, Jul 9, 2015.

1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Always try to time my car's charge to max level to end right before I leave to avoid letting the battery sit at that level for a long time. Currently on a trip and need to rely on scarce public charging in the area. Charger is available now and I could top up to 100%, but that means it would sit at max for 12 hours. A big deal or not? Thanks in advance for the POVs.

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Charge to what you need with a safety buffer. When I need to charge to 100% I try and not let it sit at that level for any extended period of time.

3. Electric700

Electric700 Member

You can also schedule a charge so that it completes just before you need to go. When you get to the charging station, just tap the battery symbol at the top-left and set the time you want the charge to start for the scheduled charge. I believe the start time(s) are dependent upon where the car currently is located.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Start time and your selected charging amps are indeed saved by location. Oddly, the charge percentage is not and is a "universal" setting no matter where you are.

5. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Thanks, good to know. A dynamic percentage based on location might be nice, but I'd like the ability to turn that feature off in case I need a consistent charge level, say up to 55%.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

If the charge percentage was location-based, there is a high risk of not charging to the required level if you don't remember what was set at each location. It's best to leave the charge slider universal.

7. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Can you schedule the car at a public charger? Won't the charger session time-out if the car isn't accepting the charge when you start the session?

8. tga

tga Active Member

Are you implying that the charger is frequently occupied, and you just happened to find it empty? If so, please don't plug in and schedule a future charge; you'd be blocking out other users.

IMHO, plugging into a public charger without charging is the ultimate EV d*ck-head move; no worse (or better) than parking in a charging space w/out plugging in. Plug in, start charging right away, monitor on the phone app, and unplug and move when done so others get a chance. Don't delay the charging or leave the car there when done.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I like to charge to 90% at my office and 70% at home. As it is now, I am always having to go in and adjust the slider every time. It would be a simple matter to add a little icon or something showing the slider percentage on the Charge screen, just like how it shows you the charging amps when it pops open. That way you would always be aware of where it's set. I think as it is now, you could easily forget where it's set anyway unless you pop open the window to check.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I just thought of another option... when we change the charging slider, the car can show us the same indicator that we get when we adjust the suspension height and it saves the location. It puts it in a bubble with an X next to it. We can hit the X if we don't want the location saved, or can leave it and have it remember the charge level at that location.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yeah, that could work.

12. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Thanks all. My question was really is 12 hrs at 100% dramatic? That being said, I've since left and only charged to 90%, knowing another public charge was going to be needed anyway before reaching the closest SuperCharger. And that public charge ended up being my mother in law's stove... Or rather stove jack. A nice 40A charge! Better than public at 30A!

13. mikeg561

mikeg561 Member

Yea, wasn't there a thread that said leaving it at 100% charge for 12-24 hours (once in a while) doesn't really do any harm? Just something you don't want to do all of the time.

14. Odenator

Odenator P2607

There is way too much unsubstantiated fear of the 100% charge.