Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"100 Configurations" based options speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone try to use this information to figure out what options are (or aren't) going to be available for the car.

With the signature red sighting yesterday, 6 colors of production candidates have been seen now. We know there will be AWD and RWD. Most people assume there's going to be two battery options. I'm assuming there will be at least two choices for interior, whether its cloth vs leather or dark vs light. Elon has also said there will be a towing package.

6 colors x 2 drives x 2 batteries x 2 interiors x 2 towing = 96, perfect for their < 100 configurations stat.

I'm not counting anything autopilot related since that's just a software change and not hardware, and I'm assuming that they're referring to hardware configurations, since that's what actually matters when talking about reducing manufacturing complexity.

Things change a bit if you assume that <100 only applies to early deliveries, meaning RWD only and probably only one battery size for 6 months or so, which would free up two spots for things like roof, cold weather pack, and air suspension, but the point of the graphic seems to be aimed at people deciding whether to order a 3 vs and S now, whereas those reduced options would only apply to early reservation holders.

2 towing? What would that be? It's a car, not an SUV. Sure the X originally had an accessory hitch and tow hitch but it's only one hitch option now. I believe they were even the same parts and only difference was having trailer mode option in the settings.

I know Elon stated there would be hitch option, I'm skeptical it will happen. Let the aftermarket companies make the hitch kit just like is done for the S. I can't think of any car similar to the 3 that offers factory hitch.

Last edited:
In EU not having a hitch provided by the manufacturer is problematic, certification wise. For me, it was the main excuse to go for the X.
I really hope they will stick with the option to provide a 'tow package'. I will be disappointed if it means we'll have to wait for the Dual motor model for our 2 M3 reservations.

Reactions: DR61
I've been wondering about the configurations too. Just my wild guess but based on the five colors we have seen (red, black, blue, silver and white) I'm thinking the possible configurations could be:
55kwh battery pack (or could be a 60kwh but not both options)
75kwh battery pack
RWD or AWD
Glass roof or moonroof
Two wheel options (possibly 17" or 19") again a guess.
5 colors as mentioned above​

If my math is correct that should get us to 100 combinations. I hope I am wrong though because I really want the midnight silver metallic color from the S on my car. ; )

Any mathematicians out there that can check my math?

I think that we're likely to see more interchangeable options (colors, materials, etc.) and less big ticket options (AWD, roof, etc.).

AWD sounds like a 2018 option. Battery pack options look like 60 and 75.

6 paint
4 interior
2 wheels
2 battery
1 roof
1 drive
1 hitch
1 suspension
1 stereo

96 interations

If AP2 iterations are part of this math then I'd expect the exterior color options to drop to four or five and for the interior to drop to three (cloth, light, black).

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
6 paint colors (white, black, metallic blue, metallic silver, mc red, signature red)
2 interiors (textile, black leather + interior upgrades)
2 wheels (18" all season or 20" performance)
2 roof (fixed or opening)
2 Tech package (with or without)

6x2x2x2x2 = 96 configurations

Has anyone considered the possibility that color might not be considered part of a "configuration"? It probably is, but then again, maybe not. The color doesn't involve any hardware changes or functional differences.

Interesting. Opens up possibilities. It's not hardware just part of the manufacturing process. All the bodies in white get cleaned, dipped, primed and sprayed with color. I think you are on to something.

I think that we're likely to see more interchangeable options (colors, materials, etc.) and less big ticket options (AWD, roof, etc.).

AWD sounds like a 2018 option. Battery pack options look like 60 and 75.

6 paint
4 interior
2 wheels
2 battery
1 roof
1 drive
1 hitch
1 suspension
1 stereo

96 interations

If AP2 iterations are part of this math then I'd expect the exterior color options to drop to four or five and for the interior to drop to three (cloth, light, black).
Tesla have said <100 configurations, not 100 options. If they add hitch hit means 2 configurations, both with and without.

I don't think Tesla is including the paint or software upgrades into their configurations. Here's my best guess, based on that assumption:

Model 3
(2*2*2*3*2*2 = 96 Options)
  • 18" or 19" wheels
  • 55 (60?) or 75 KWh pack
  • Metal or Glass Roof
  • Interior/Seats (3 options): Black Cloth, Black Leather, Grey Leather
  • Premium upgrade package or no
  • Subzero package or no

My math for the S:
Model S
4*2*6*5*2*2*2*2 = 3,840 Options
  • 4 wheel options
  • Glass or Pano Roof
  • 6 interior Options
  • 5 Battery/D Options
  • Premium package or no
  • Subzero package or no
  • Premium sound or no
  • Rear Facing seats or no

If I'm allowed to basically copy a previous post I made in another thread:

There are about 1,600 Model S configurations not counting options. If you go to the Model S design studio, there are five things you must select that aren't options (in other words, you must choose one - it's not like you can't get any color, or no motor): color (7 choices), roof & wheels (2 and 4 choices), interior (6 choices) and motor/drivetrain (5 choices). 7*2*4*6*5 = 1,680.

Of course if you add options (premium package, EAP, etc) each of those doubles the choices, so it gets to hundreds of thousands of choices if you include those.

Since Tesla isn't counting options for the Model S (and counting them for Model 3 would easily mean >100 combinations) we can count only things you must configure. Those are probably the same things on the Model S.

So I figure <100 is achieved though something like 6 color options (we've seen 6 Model 3 RC colors: black, white, blue, red, silver, sig red), 2 roofs, 2 wheels, 2 interiors, 2 batteries =6*2*2*2*2 = 96 combos at launch. And of course P and AWD versions all come later. Although the latest rumor is 3 interiors which makes sense, but then we have to drop two colors.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and Big-T
What about enhanced autopilot?

It's obviously an option, but since it's a software option, maybe they don't count it.

Maybe they mean options that are permanent

Wheels, battery, roof, color, interior are permanent features.

EAP can be turned on later, so a NO upon purchase isn't permanent.