Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 days or free for Australia.... any update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been about 100 days since Elon Musk wagered he could solve South Australias power problems. It was all the rage in the news at the time. Did it ever get installed? Did it solve the problem?

He tweeted on 3/9/2017 which is about 131 days ago:

"Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free. That serious enough for you?"

He did not say it will be done 100 days from the start of the tweet.

It's 100 days from a WRITTEN contract.

Reactions: lance
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
It's been about 100 days since Elon Musk wagered he could solve South Australias power problems. It was all the rage in the news at the time. Did it ever get installed? Did it solve the problem?

Lance, my understanding is that South Australia invited an initial round of submissions for the project, and then invited a second round of proposals from a short list of finalists, which included Tesla.

I am not sure if the finalists' bids have been made yet (f not they will be very soon) but I believe South Australia is still targeting installation before their next summer (~December 2017), so I expect they will make a decision before too long. More details are here: South Australia seeks battery storage proposals from short-list

Last edited:
Australia could be referred to as the energy Superpower, about to become the world's largest exporter of LNG, it has an abundance of Coal (that should stay in the ground), solar, wind, hydro and potential tidal power, yet we have high electricity prices and politicians that have spent the last ten years bickering over the best direction to take. Australia also has one of the highest, if not the highest up takes of home rooftop solar due to the combination of high grid electricity prices and very low home solar cost, a fully installed 5kw system can be purchased for as low as $3200 Australian, basically less than 3 years to recover the cost, maybe 10% of Australians could identify Tesla as a car maker but a far higher percentage identify Tesla as the battery storage company, and they're keen to link a battery to the solar panels and stick it to the power companies.

Lance, my understanding is that South Australia invited an initial round of submissions for the project, and then invited a second round of proposals from a short list of finalists, which included Tesla.

I am not sure if the finalists' bids have been made yet (f not they will be very soon) but I believe South Australia is still targeting installation before their next summer (~December 2017), so I expect they will make a decision before too long. More details are here: South Australia seeks battery storage proposals from short-list

I haven't heard the latest for SA, I hope Red Flow an all Aussie venture gets a crack at it. A government contract like that would be a great revenue boost and allow competition in the marketplace.

Australia could be referred to as the energy Superpower, about to become the world's largest exporter of LNG, it has an abundance of Coal (that should stay in the ground), solar, wind, hydro and potential tidal power, yet we have high electricity prices and politicians that have spent the last ten years bickering over the best direction to take. Australia also has one of the highest, if not the highest up takes of home rooftop solar due to the combination of high grid electricity prices and very low home solar cost, a fully installed 5kw system can be purchased for as low as $3200 Australian, basically less than 3 years to recover the cost, maybe 10% of Australians could identify Tesla as a car maker but a far higher percentage identify Tesla as the battery storage company, and they're keen to link a battery to the solar panels and stick it to the power companies.
How is LNG seen down there? Up here our government wants to build the largest LNG plant in the world for export, but people say in the media nobody in the world really wants the stuff any more. The market has collapsed since it was first proposed years ago.

I haven't heard the latest for SA, I hope Red Flow an all Aussie venture gets a crack at it. A government contract like that would be a great revenue boost and allow competition in the marketplace.

reneweconomy.com.au is a great resource for updates on this. The latest one from Monday (6/26) suggested we should have a decision this past week --- so I guess any day now. S.A. to announce storage winner, delays EST mechanism

• Informative
Reactions: LimoX and Tam
Part of the problem is that the US which use to be a natural gas importer overbuilt shale gas extraction during the last boom. They are now overcapacity, and my understanding is that these natural gas sources loose money but that they loose less money operating compared to being shut down.

Part of the problem is that the US which use to be a natural gas importer overbuilt shale gas extraction during the last boom. They are now overcapacity, and my understanding is that these natural gas sources loose money but that they loose less money operating compared to being shut down.

At least for the US, the way the economics around nat gas works is that it is a byproduct of shale oil extraction. You get 'waste' natural gas from the oil wells being developed using shale fracturing techniques. So heck, as long as you've got it, if you can get it connected to a pipeline, then it's a virtually free side effect of the hunt for oil. When you can count the drilling costs as roughly 0, it makes nat gas economic down to really low levels.

And we're doing a lot of that type of extraction.

The corollary - it's my understanding that in the US, effectively nobody would drill FOR natural gas in today's economy. It's not economic.

How is LNG seen down there? Up here our government wants to build the largest LNG plant in the world for export, but people say in the media nobody in the world really wants the stuff any more. The market has collapsed since it was first proposed years ago.

Huge reserves of offshore gas, large amounts being shipped to Asia, sadly local supply and pricing is a political football with eastern Australian residents getting the biggest kicking.

Reactions: MacGreiner
Interesting statistic from the Gizmodo article: "The 129MWh of batteries to be installed at Hornsdale is roughly equivalent to the capacity installed into Tesla's new electric cars during five days of Model S and Model X production at its plant in Fremont, California."

I was wondering how the production would strain Tesla's resources. Turns out not so much.