Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% drive unit failure rate??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more I think about this, the more I think we are asking the wrong question. Using the same standard, every ice engine I've ever had has had 100% failure rate. They all got noisy or sluggish and had to be adjusted/maintained. Ranging from plugs to valve job. We don't consider that failure, just maintenance. What's confusing the issue here is that tesla has elected a return/replace/remanufacture approach vs local repair, which obscures our knowledge of real costs and severity of problems. So, I think the real question is when tesla will begin local service for some of the common maintenance and repair items. Then we will know a real failure vs standard maintenance or minor repair.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
The more I think about this, the more I think we are asking the wrong question. Using the same standard, every ice engine I've ever had has had 100% failure rate. They all got noisy or sluggish and had to be adjusted/maintained. Ranging from plugs to valve job. We don't consider that failure, just maintenance. What's confusing the issue here is that tesla has elected a return/replace/remanufacture approach vs local repair, which obscures our knowledge of real costs and severity of problems. So, I think the real question is when tesla will begin local service for some of the common maintenance and repair items. Then we will know a real failure vs standard maintenance or minor repair.

I agree, and I've been saying this for a few months now: Once Tesla implements a drive-unit "tune-up" mentality (i.e. you used to need to replace your transmission fluid every 15k miles*, well now you need to have your DU serviced every 15k miles), the whole drive unit "failure" issue goes away.

*for arguments sake

I am intrigued at the way this discussion (about early drive units made in 2012 and 2013) keeps coming up. If they were all going to fail by 60 K miles, most of them would have done so by now, right? And replaced under warranty at Tesla's expense? So what more is there to talk about?

I am intrigued at the way this discussion (about early drive units made in 2012 and 2013) keeps coming up. If they were all going to fail by 60 K miles, most of them would have done so by now, right? And replaced under warranty at Tesla's expense? So what more is there to talk about?

My March 2013 car had it's DU replaced once at about 13,000 miles / 8 months of use, and I am on the waiting list for another. The second DU started making the "Milling Sound" a bit over a year ago.

Last edited:
That's interesting, and can be somewhat reassuring/disheartening depending on how you look at it. Having just looked at a leaf up close recently, I was shocked at the size of the entire drive unit. It resembles and can honestly be easily mistaken for an ICE.

What you call the drive unit is essentially everything except the battery. On a Model S, all the same pieces are distributed around the car, whereas on the Leaf, it's all in that one big box. (Motor, differential, inverter, DC-DC converter, fast charge contractors, high-voltage junction box, etc)

I don't know about Leaf drivetrain failures, but they aren't using the same tech.
Not only tech but the power and torque loads are completely different. Even the base Model S has far more power and torque than a Leaf.

Speaking of which, it'll be interesting to see how the drivetrain replacements are spread over the various models: 60 / 70D/ 85 /85D / P85 / P85D, etc.

That's like saying the honda civic engine is comparable to the porsche 918 spyder engine. Aren't they both ICE?
That's not really what I'm saying. Both EVs are breaking new ground. The point to be made is that I'm somewhat reassured that the leaf has been so reliable. Tesla's string of DU revisions has me somewhat concerned, however.