Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 kWh Battery Coming Soon to Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rumor has resurfaced about a 2 years later. This time there are "data" behind it.
green on Twitter
I hope sensibility prevails and they make more cars with existing pack sizes rather than more cars with 100kwh packs. I don’t think more range in more cars is a better thing in the big picture, it’s a waste of limited resources to drive around with range that you don’t use. Maybe more range in the short term in order to acclimatize people to their actual needs. Some day we will be able to right-size the battery for our needs..

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
More range gives drivers an option to skip a crowded Supercharger station:

Note that the above Kettleman Supercharger in California only has less than 1,500 people and it's far from populated cities so we can't blame these as local squatters.

Bigger battery also means there's less need to deep cycle these batteries which should also help longevity. I'd also love to have a bigger battery so I can camp in my car while on fishing trips without worrying about consumption.

Reasons this ain't happening-

100kwh can't physically fit without a significant leap in battery tech from what they're using in the cars today

Given Tesla has more demand for cars than they have battery supply (and that problem will get much worse with the Y launch) making a change that wouldn't allow for much higher prices, but would reduce # of cars they can build by 25, would be really dumb.

A 25% larger battery would give the 3 a longer range than the S. Larger packs for the S have been long rumored, and the margins on those might actually make sense to do it battery-supply-wise, so 0% chance it'd happen on the 3 before the S anyway.

I doubt that they will increase pack size, but perhaps they are working on a new/improved chemistry obtained via their Maxwell acquisition that could get 10-20%+ more storage per cell. So, pack size remains the same, just holds more. I doubt they would want to redesign the M3 to hold a physically larger pack so soon in its production cycle (really only 18 months in mass production).

The model S/X are due for an overhaul of battery architecture to at least get up to the M3 technology.

I think most of you are thinking about this the wrong way. With the billions being spent on battery technology, energy density is already improving. Not too far away are 500mi at lower battery weight. You think you wouldn't want that? I'll buy one right away and so will many current ICE owners. But yeah, sticking more of the current technology in there...marginal gain.

Reasons this ain't happening-

100kwh can't physically fit without a significant leap in battery tech from what they're using in the cars today

Given Tesla has more demand for cars than they have battery supply (and that problem will get much worse with the Y launch) making a change that wouldn't allow for much higher prices, but would reduce # of cars they can build by 25, would be really dumb.

A 25% larger battery would give the 3 a longer range than the S. Larger packs for the S have been long rumored, and the margins on those might actually make sense to do it battery-supply-wise, so 0% chance it'd happen on the 3 before the S anyway.

saying zero chance is bold but your reasoning are sound. Great demand, right battery supply, likely excellent margins.