Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 kWh Battery Coming Soon to Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a conversation with a Tesla customer service rep and I mentioned that I was waiting for the dual motor option for the Model 3. Then, out of the blue, they mentioned it was probably the best to wait considering the 100 kWh battery will be an option around the middle of the year.

I asked for more info, but they declined because shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

Has anyone else heard this information?

I had a conversation with a Tesla customer service rep and I mentioned that I was waiting for the dual motor option for the Model 3. Then, out of the blue, they mentioned it was probably the best to wait considering the 100 kWh battery will be an option around the middle of the year.

I asked for more info, but they declined because shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

Has anyone else heard this information?

The average Tesla CSR knows less about Tesla than the average person on TMC. They have no special insider knowledge - they get their information from the web just like everybody else.

Last edited:
310+ miles on the LR is already plenty of range. As for performance, it definitely seems like the LR is capable of much more, so I'd say same battery with tweaks to improve performance even more with dual drive

If this were true, they'd be sued into next year by anyone that purchased an LR version, because a L(arger)LR version would just turn people off if it were released that fast.
You won't get very far suing anyone for delivering exactly as specified in the contract.

Tesla has complete freedom with regards to making changes to newer cars. The question is if they will, and I won't rule it out. As I said earlier, we haven't had a change in chemistry for three years. Musk has talked about an annual improvement in chemistry of around 5% per year, so you could argue that we are way overdue for a new improved chemistry.

I can also see reasons why they wouldn't implement it on the initial production of the Model 3. My impression is that they've been quite obsessed with reducing risk. It could make sense to hold off on making radical changes to the chemistry, and rather stick with the familiar chemistry. That would also give them time to test cells with the new chemistry excessively. Also, changing chemistry is something that can be done without affecting the production lines very much. The switch from the 85 kWh packs to the 90 kWh packs on the Model S was quite seamless.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The average Tesla CSR knows less about Tesla than the average person on TMC. They have no special insider knowledge - they get their information from the web just like everybody else.

This could be very true .... but why the person helping me at the service station offer this information to a customer unwarranted? Then tell me they weren't able to give me the fully details as it wasn't announced? That seems strange.

I did a search of of this forum, other Telsa related sites, and Google searches -- nothing related to 100kWh batteries and the Model 3 was found.

I guess only time will tell.

OK - cat's outta the bag.... I have it on good authority (based on a dream last week) that there are actually 100's in the current cars delivered to first day line waiters. Elon's rumored gift.
This will increase range to just over 400 miles, via software once official announcement is made. And no, there is no extra weight involved due to the replacement of coolant with helium (thus making the M3 lighter). Biggest problem during development was adding dead weights to keep the car on the ground. Thus the reason for the slowdown in Dec.