Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 Mi rt commute range charge or standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read as much as I can. It isgood not to charge 100%. It is also good not to go below 50%.

So which has a bigger impact on battery life:

Range charge to 230 and get home at 130

or

Standard charge to 184 and get home at 84?

I have read as much as I can. It isgood not to charge 100%. It is also good not to go below 50%.

So which has a bigger impact on battery life:

Range charge to 230 and get home at 130

or

Standard charge to 184 and get home at 84?

It's fine to go below 50%. Range charging on a daily basis will harm the battery. Standard charge to 184 and get home at 84 is 100% fine. Definitely do that instead of range charging for a 100 mile trip.

For a bit more background... On a Roadster, the Standard mode's "zero" miles is actually at about 12% SoC, or 25-ish miles, and "full" charge in standard mode is about 83%. So, by using standard mode, you're keeping the battery in the middle, where it likes to be. Range mode "zero" is really zero (well, with a small buffer that is kept for anti-bricking), and up to about 94% for full. This is all different than the MS/X, and presumably the Model 3.

Reactions: twiersum
One thing to consider is that you almost certainly will use more than one ideal mile per real mile. Getting ideal range only happens when you drive gently (hard to do and no fun in a Roadster) on the level at moderate speed in warm weather. Depending on what and how much differs you can find yourself using as much a 1.4 ideal miles/mile (you can do much worse than that if you really push it, like track driving, of course).

That said, running down to 0 ideal miles in standard mode isn't a big deal, because gregd mentioned, it's really 10%. So if you used 1.4 ideal miles/mile and drove 100 miles, that would leave you with 44 ideal miles not counting the bottom 10%.

So, I'd say standard mode charge and don't worry about it.

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest