Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% mileage on MS 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our Model S 70D yesterday :):):) - finally.

The car wasn't fully charged but we had a long drive planned, so put the car up on a super charger. Two things happened that were a bit surprising:
1) Max mileage: We changed the charge percentage to 100% so it would charge all the way. The car went from 158m to 210m in about 20 mins. At 210m, the car showed almost 100% charged. I was expecting more around 270-290m on 100% charge. Asked the sales guy why it was only 210m and he said that it never shows the full 270-290m range as that depends on driving style and the amount of regenerative braking. Don't buy that! The car should show max mileage and then drop based on driving.

2) Charge rate: Charge rate did not taper off. In the beginning the charge rate was 130m/hr (all the super chargers were busy) and was at 114m/hr at the end of the charge, well above 95% charge.

The dash, settings, etc. all say 70 but the battery seems to be behaving like a 60.

At 70% charge (approx), I have 154m which gives 100% mileage to be 220m.

Any one else experience this? Could this be as a result of the batteries being new?

Attachments

• File 07-09-2016, 07 27 07.png
    File 07-09-2016, 07 27 07.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 64
SBarnes - thank you

Just spoke to tech support and it could be me not remembering the right milage. I am convinced it was 290m for a 70D but the website now says that is the range for a 90D. 240m is probably right. 3 months of waiting for the car have resulted in a bit of loss of memory!

At full charge the 70d should read 240 miles (or nearly 240, sometime ours was a bit less when new, like 238 or so). A 60 would by about 208 miles. This is in the US, I'm not sure if the cars reported mileage is different in Europe?

@SBarnes,
Like you guessed, the EPA rated range system is not used in Europe. In fact, Tesla uses EPA rated range only in North America. Outside North America, all Model S or X cars display typical range or NEDC rated range, whichever the driver selects in settings. Because NEDC rated range is far too optimistic, nobody uses that. Typical range is something Tesla created. It is the most realistic rating system. Typical range numbers are lower than EPA rated range. The numbers you see in Bjorn videos are typical range.

@Red Matter,
Typical range numbers are not published on the website or anywhere else. Tesla has never published typical range numbers for any model. Also, 70D is not on sale anymore. Therefore you can ignore anything you see on the website. Even at the time you bought your car, the UK website wouldn't have shown typical range numbers. It would show NEDC rated range, which you can completely ignore.

If you want to know your 100% typical range, you could charge to 100% again and take a screenshot. Also, if you turn range mode on, it will increase the displayed range number instantly. HERE is a video that shows this. However, it would change the display maybe 3 miles. Therefore I don't have an explanation for the difference between 210 mi (what you remember) and 220 mi (what the car shows if you extrapolate from 154 mi at 70%), other than maybe you are remembering incorrectly.

The rating system in your car is the same as everywhere else in Europe but it is converted to miles instead km. You can actually switch to km if you want. Then it would be exactly the same as other countries in Europe, like Norway. HERE is Bjorn a video about the 70D, in case you find that interesting. The car in this video also uses typical range, like your car.

By the way, next time you charge to 100%, feel free to fill in THIS battery survey. Good luck

Last edited: